“Comfortable enough, terrible food”

Raybow International Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Sekondi-Takoradi
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here 3 nights in January 2014. Staff were mostly polite and friendly. The room (on the ground floor of the old building, near the pool) was comfortable enough though somewhat spartan (no bedside table; no hand towel or face cloth; no tissues, very bright/glaring white lighting, etc.). The air conditioning worked and was quiet. The bed was comfortable enough, though creaked loudly at any movement. The room was generally quiet - some loud music from a nearby hotel some nights but not late or in a way that kept from sleep. The wireless internet in the room worked roughly half the time, though when it wasn't working I was able to get access in the restaurant area.

The outdoor restaurant area is being demolished or refurbished; there is an indoor air conditioned restaurant in a new building. The breakfast is very simple and basic, and the one night I got dinner at the restaurant, it was truly awful.

Be careful when paying the bill; they had told me at checkin that they would be able to take a credit card, but at checkout they said that there was an additional ~5% fee for using a credit card, and then they would only charge the credit card in USD not in Cedis, and set the dollar charge based on an outrageous exchange rate (roughly 19% worse than the actual market exchange rate). So get cash beforehand and pay the bill in cedis.

I rate 3 stars only because I'm not sure that there are other alternatives that are any better.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear SH,

Thanks for taking out time to write a review for our property.
We appreciate your effort to bring out your concerns while your stay and apologize for any inconveniences caused.
We promise to serve you better next time you arrive at our property.

Regards

Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stay in the long-term apartments and can definitely recommend these as well as the hotel rooms for any traveler to Takoradi. The hotel is clean and very well serviced and managed. There is a great new state of the art gym as well as a pool area. The staff are extra friendly and welcoming too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Mr Shaun,

Thankyou for taking your time to write the review about our property.We hope to serve you with quality customer service as always.

Best Regards,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed at Raybow International hotel for 2 nights a few days before November 2013 and it was everything I hoped it would be. It's well located off the main square and the main Shippers council roundabout and room we paid for (the superior double) was probably the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. The included breakfast was good enough and the mini bar in the room not overly priced. The overall decor and feel of the hotel was great and it served as an excellent base to explore in Takoradi.

It must also be said Raybow hotel was the perfect accompanyment to our trip away as my then girlfriend, now fiance, was suitably impressed enough by the experience that she agreed to marry me when I proposed to her on the second night! Thanks also to the small group of people who clapped and cheered when they saw me on bended knee.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cherished customer,

Thank you for taking your time to write the review.We appreciate your effort.We wish to serve you even better next time.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I stayed over the weekend and I enjoyed every bit of my stay. I loved the excellent service from the staff. Even though the pool is small its nice and clean and I loved it. Breakfast was nice as well and I look forward to returning again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first flaw offer a great view
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear Cassie,

Thanks a lot for taking out time to write review for our property.We appreciate your comments and hope to serve you even better next time.

Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel is spotless
Best nights sleep
Quality of everything is high - even the toilet paper !
Everything beautifully laundered.
Staff cannot do too much for you
Management is excellent and all staff are happy at their work
Takoradi is expensive, but this hotel although expensive is less expensive than
others of poorer quality

Room Tip: rooms overlooking swimming pool are quiet and secluded - awaken to bird song in morning
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shubhro M
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Mr Shubro,

Thankyou for taking your precious time to write a review about our property.Your comments are much valued.We promise to keep up to the standards and serve you even better next time.

Shipra Sood

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed one night at the Raybow in a standard room. It was spotlessly clean, and as I'm a particular stickler for nice hotel bathrooms, I was pleased to find the toilet, basin, shower and fixtures all up to standard. Odd that some reviewers found the lodging "third world" and "in vast need of investment." It could be that those reviews are a little older. Raybow is easily better than hotels I've stayed at in the US and Europe, so I doubt you could call it "third world."

It is building an entirely new African restaurant on the premises, and has individual chalets as well as flats for the expatriates working for an oil company. I haven't been in the chalets and flats, so I can't speak to those.

The staff and waiters were all very nice and attentive. Ghana has seen huge improvements in some parts of the hospitality sector, and this was an example. I enjoyed the pool--a few leaves had blown in, but it wasn't a big deal.

I would have liked to have a reading light on the desk, since I like my laptop keyboard well-lit, but it was a minor nitpick.

All in all, I was quite satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Mr Quartey,

Thank you for taking your time to write your review about our property.Your comments are very much valued.We look forward to another opportunity to host you .I would like to meet you in person next time you visit our property.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Expensive and very third world. Room was large but very tired. Fridge in the room but because of electricity shortages had obviously not been switched on for quite a long time. Running water is spasmodic and there was a large water tank and pump (noisy) that operated at all times of day and night. Not sure where else to stay in Takoradi (other than Planters Lodge for US$450 a night!!) so I guess it's the best of an ordinary selection.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Dennis C
shipra r, General Manager at Raybow International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience.We strive to provide a really high level of service and affordable rates as well.
We are sorry for the noise disturbance due to water tanker .It doesnt runs day and night but because of water shortage sometimes we have to outsource it.I am sure next time when you will come you will not experience the same.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekondi-Takoradi
Best Western Plus Atlantic Hotel
Stellar Lodge
Stellar Lodge
#5 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takoradi Select
Protea Hotel by Marriott Takorad...
#2 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Planter's Lodge
Planter's Lodge
#4 of 14 in Sekondi-Takoradi
Axim Beach Hotel
Axim Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Axim

Been to Raybow International Hotel? Share your experiences!