“Hill Top Tranquility”
Review of Hill View Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bicester
Hill View Farm
Ranked #4 of 19 Bicester B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My partner and I stayed for the weekend with friends at this delightfully tranquil location atop of a hill with panoramic views. Hill View Farm is very much a working farm but this belies the modern, very comfortable and scrupulously clean self-contained guest quarter that awaits. There was also a magnificent display of cut flowers during our visit. Owner Gill greets with a breezy friendliness and prepares an excellent full English Breakfast. Husband Rob also takes the trouble to say hello in-between wider responsibilities on the farm.

I can thoroughly recommend Hill View as a very comfortable and relaxing place to stay and have rebooked for later in the year on the basis of our experience. We had no trouble in locating the farm at the top of the hill although relying solely on on the postcode, the Satnav falls about half a mile short down in the nearby village. As classic car owners, we felt very happy to leave our cars here as the property is well away from the main road - and the owners also very kindly let us use their car washing facilities. An added bonus for petrol heads!

Room Tip: Go for the spacious upstairs double room with the twin aspect views across the farmland to the hills...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Unlike previous reviewers we had mixed reactions to this B&B. It’s not easy to find and other than a map as there are no written directions on the website. The owner did ask us if we’d difficulty finding them but when we replied that yes, we’d been driving around the area for quite some time, she took no notice.

While the rooms in an extension to the farmhouse are beautifully styled the aim appears to be more good looks rather than the comfort of the guests. There’s no sitting room for guests to relax in, merely a dining hall. Our room on the ground floor did have doors to the garden but the weather wasn’t conducive to sitting outside. In the room there was just one club armchair and a desk chair. The bed was a bit too hard for us even though we like a firm bed. The wet room bathroom was again beautifully styled but not practical as the shower faces the door so after a shower the tiled floor was wet nearly to the door. Quite dangerous and we had use our towels after showering to push the water back towards the shower.

We’d been told that we couldn’t arrive before 5pm and you have to have breakfast by 8.30am the next morning. This made us feel as if the owners wanted us to stay as short a time as possible. Yet, the tariff of £90 was the highest we paid for a B&B on our trip to the UK and certainly wasn’t the best value. We felt we would have done better in a hotel with rooms that were just as nice plus public areas, where, for the same price, we would have been welcome to stay longer.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
farmonthehill, Owner at Hill View Farm, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with your stay.
We try to be as flexible as we can with our check-in times. As long as we have enough time to prepare the room and we know in advance we can usually make arrangements for somebody to be at home outside the normal check-in from 4.30 pm and check-out by 10.30 am. Unlike a hotel we are not always at home and may sometimes have to adjust check-in times. With regard breakfast, again we are pretty flexible and if people request a later breakfast in most cases we can accommodate this. However, we do need to know what our guests would like and when so that we can cook accordingly.
Unfortunately, we just do not have a room that we can use as a guest lounge but guests are welcome to sit in the dining hall area if they like and when the weather is nice they are welcome to use the patio and garden area.
Unlike the majority of small B&B's in the area we have to charge VAT but make sure our prices are still comparable/competitive.
We are about to have our website updated and have noted your comments about directions, also I see that the Google map on the website is not displaying correctly and I will endeavour to get it corrected.
We are in most respects, a traditional 'bed and breakfast' based from our family home and try to make all our guests as welcome and comfortable as possible.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

What a glorious and stunningly beautiful location! Having grown up on a farm in New Zealand, staying at Hill View Farm was a wonderful reminder of the sheer beauty, sense of space and tranquility of nature. The exquisite view from our upstairs window was matched by the equally luxurious and elegant decor of this delightful B & B. From arrival, Gill treated us like family and we were made to feel very welcome. The breakfast and everything else about Hill View Farm is outstanding and we would highly recommend a stay here to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

I have just returned from a 5 day working trip to Bicester and stayed at this wonderful B&B. I don't think I have stayed anywhere where I was made to feel so welcome. The setting is quiet and relaxing, although only approx. 6 miles from Bicester and the views are stunning. Gill and Rob were excellent hosts and did everything to make me feel at home. It is a truly special place and one which I will visit again.
Thankyou

Sheepfur

Room Tip: Next time I visit, I will ask for the ground floor twin with its stunning views. However, you cannot...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I spent two nights here after arriving at Heathrow following a 20 hour flight. I had prearranged with the owners to check in early as my flight arrived at Heathrow at 6.30am and they were most obliging which meant I could shower and feel semi normal again. Nothing was too much trouble for Gill and she went above and beyond to help me with her knowledge of the local area and suggestions of what to visit etc.
The room was perfect, spacious, spotless and warm! The bathroom was also spotless and there was nothing at all that I would fault. The tea tray was well stocked and with yummy biscuits!
Gill cooked a fabulous breakfast and was most happy to provide whatever I wanted.
This is undoubtedly my favourite B&B of my trip to the UK. Thanks Gill for everything, I hope to stay again next time, oh and also, the location of this B&B is perfect, only an hour or so from Heathrow, close to Oxford and so, so quiet and in a lovely rural setting. Loved it!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We had another great few days at Hill View Farm, the welcome from Gill and Robert is always warm and friendly, the breakfasts are terrific, the rooms are fabulous and the views are to die for. If we could, we would stay there all the time and not go home. thanks again to Gill and Robert and there team, (all 2 of them)

Room Tip: All the rooms are great, but the blue room is BEST for the bath and the views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2014

We are the four ladies mentioned by the previous review, having a weekend away to celebrate a 50th birthday. We are so sorry that we caused any problem for Gill who was the most wonderful hostess together with her daughter and husband. We were tucked up in bed by 12.15am after chatting in a downstairs room post an evening meal in Bicester and didn't meet for breakfast until 9am the next morning - hardly grounds for being "noisy" at anti social hours!
Hill View Farm was a real find - beautifully appointed with stunning views and a great location for visiting Bicester Village, Oxford and Woodstock. Gill's breakfasts are fabulous, varied and she went out of her way to cater for all tastes. All in all pretty faultless, great hosts and definitely not worthy of the negative comments made in the previous review. Would very definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bicester
Travelodge Bicester hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington
Tally Ho Hotel
Tally Ho Hotel
#1 of 1 in Arncott

Been to Hill View Farm? Share your experiences!