Arniston Lodge
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
16 on Main(Arniston)
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsquaint villageb bcape townfishing villagebraai areayogurtnext morningtwo nightserwin
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Arniston is an amazing place. Beautiful and peaceful. We stayed at the Lodge for two nights and were struck by the hospitality. Erwin is a great host, very relaxed, funny and a fantastic storyteller. A man who understands how to live and it quickly rubs off on you. Breakfast, bar, fireplace, everything was right. If I were to name one downside: the bathroom was extremely cold (it was wintertime when we visited) and took some courage to enter.
Highly recommended, we will surely return!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We spent one night at Arniston Lodge. We were in the two rooms downstairs next to the pool. The other guests and the owner spent the evening in the lounge/bar just above the rooms, which meant that we got no sleep until well after midnight when I finally went and pleaded for some quiet so we could get some sleep. Within half an hour the guests went to bed. Needless to say we felt sleep deprived the next day. The rooms however are pleasant and neat, the staff friendly and the breakfast tasty. If noise doesn't bother you then The Lodge is a pleasant comfortable place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the bottom rooms near the pool area. I can't comment on how noise affect the the other rooms, given the Lodge is very small, I would guess you can't avoid it.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I went for 4 days and stayed for a week! Arniston is the most fabulous find, quite a special place, so tranquil, far from the hussle and bussle of life, just what I needed and what's more I would not hesitate to return. The Arniston Lodge is a lovely friendly place in which to stay, nothing is too much trouble. The staff were second to none and the owner was always on hand. Breakfast is a true african laid back affair, I was accomodated on my very late rising! always just in time but I was never made to feel a nuisance. There is a beautiful landscaped garden, a pool and a bar which has all kinds of drinks but just the most wonderful SA Sauvingon and Cabernet which I could not seem to have enough of, I spent many an evening chatting with other guests and locals that came in to see Erwin, over a glass or two, and when I paid the bill, so reasonable! Erwin, the owner, is extremly helpful on advice of where to go, knowledgeable about the region and SA in general. Althea and Joceline are absolutely lovely, nothing is too much trouble. All in all the add on benefits were so much more than just a B&B! Don't dither just book! kind regards Ruth, UK

Room Tip: I stayed in the smallest room which was just perfect for a chilled holiday for a single person, there are several other rooms, all with their own individuality, the thatched roof is just so cosy, I could imagine winter is equally fantastic, there is a huge open fire place.....but in summer a lovely patio with views over the coastline. You are sent to sleep by the roar of the sea... just wonderful
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Arniston is a charming little place with blue ocean and white sands. Our stay was complemented by the experience of our night in Arniston Lodge. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast was delicious, but it was the lodge itself that now sticks in the memory: the thatched roof of our bedroom; the view across the fishing village to the the white dunes; the friendly welcome from Erwin our host. For our evening meal we dined very reasonably at the Arniston Hotel which offers the more standard hotel accommodation in town, but we were more than pleased with the modest and characterful Arniston Lodge. If in the future we revisit Arniston we shall certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We were quite disappointed by our recent stay at the Arniston Lodge. Our room had a nice view but was quite noisy (it gave on the swimming pool and barbecue area: the first night we were there, a barbecue was organized and we hardly could sleep). The owner was not exactly friendly or helpful. The staff was kind.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple