“Hard to Beat”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melaque
Hotel Puesta del Sol
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melaque
Grand Forks, Canada
“Hard to Beat”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

This is a great hotel & one of the cleanest I have stayed in in Mexico. The staff go out of their way to make sure everything is clean & tidy. Yes, the pool is small & it can get pretty busy on the weekends, but if you are retired you can live through that until Monday & beyond. If you get a kitchenette you can have breakfast & watch the ocean, which is way better than watching the snow fly around! Try not to get a room that is adjacent to a suite because the door is pretty thin & you can hear everything.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Gtosher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
vancouver bc
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Not my first stay in Mexico or even Melaque but my first at Puesta del Sol. I would strongly suggest to stay away from this hotel during the high season of December and January as it's very loud...however, if you're a big family this is the place for you!

The staff seemed just overwhelmed during our stay - they were kinda cranky and it was nearly impossible to get clean towels. Our linens were never changed in the two weeks we were there. The public areas were kept very clean but housekeeping in the rooms was pretty lacking (and my standards are pretty lax).

Good points include a very central location and one of the staff, Salvatore, who went out of his way to help us out. The kitchen on the deck was really cute as well.

Overall I'd say go if it's not in Dec/Jan or if you're planning a large family trip, otherwise, there are cleaner and quieter places in the Obregon area of Melaque that would be preferable, and they don't charge as much. Puesta Del Sol is not the best value in the town of Melaque.

The Puesta Del Sol hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the wonderful town of Melaque at all. Be sure to visit!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
5 Thank garGoil8888
Chapala, Mexico
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I spent four nights here in March 2009. My room was 10 steps to the beach. The room had ceiling fans, air conditioning, a small kitchen, a sitting area separate from the bedroom, a true WC and TV. There are several restaurants nearby. The hotel is located across from the bus station. The hotel and beach were very busy on the weekend as many people from Guadalajara and Colima visit at that time. But on Monday the hotel was quiet and the only folks on the beach were the local fishermen and a few gringos. If you are looking for a beach hotel priced well, this could be it. My room was 580 pesos per night or about $US40.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank elpavorealblanco
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 25, 2009

My family stayed at Puesta Del Sol in Melaque this past week for 5 nights. We found the hotel accommodating, clean and the staff very helpful. We are primarily budget travelers with an occasional splurge, so at $50 odd dollars per night, the hotel fit that definition. (though we have paid less in Mexico at other hotels in Mexico. I think general inflation has caught up) The room had two double beds. The mattresses were fine but the ubiquitous hard, lumpy Mexican pillows were there. I didn't let it bother me, but my son chose to sleep without...no big deal. Our room had a small kitchenette located outside on the balcony...very cool. We prepared light meals and snacks there and ate with an ocean view.

The hotel has plenty of places to just hang out including the beach side pool (which my son loved), an upper level terrace palapa, and an outdoor TV area where you can watch Mexican soccer. More on the pool...we checked out several hotels in the area and found the Puesta's pool to be as nice as any. It is surrounded by a chain link fence, which could be nicer and borders an RV park, which was fine by me. All told, our stay was very comfortable.

6 Thank jarchitect
Canada
Reviewed October 28, 2008

The building is lovely, clean, and well maintained. The staff were wonderful, and we had no problem checking in (maybe due to the fact that we had a person fluent in spanish in our party.)

For the price, I would say that this place is a great value. You are located right on the beach, and I mean RIGHT on the beach. You leave your room, walk 20 steps down an open-air corridor, down a couple stairs, and you hit sand. Not only is it on the beach, but it is located at quite a central area of town. It is only a short walk to many of the fabulous restaraunts found in this city.

The cleaning staff were excellent. We would come back from a day out and have a sparkling suite. I was particularly please with the cleanliness of the bathroom, seeing as we would go swimming in the ocean in the morning, and the shower floor would have sand on it, but they did a marvelous job. A tip for anyone thinking of planning a trip to Mexico! Remember to tip the cleaning staff EVERY DAY. They (trust me on this one) will clean your room much better if they know that their tip every day is dependant on the job, and if they like you. Which they do, if you tip. ;) I do, personally, believe that that is why one of the other reviewers found their room not up to their standards. And as for leaving food out, its MEXICO. There are open vents in the rooms, so bugs and geckos can get in. And besides, would you leave food out on the counter at home? Usually not (at least not in most households I've come across)!. In my opinion, if you are looking for a hotel to feel like your local best western, go to a resort, or better yet, save the money and spend a night AT the best western or super 8 or your choice.

As far as the facilities are concerned, I was particularly impressed by how well-kept everything was. There were no chipped tiles, no graffiti, nothing of the sort. Everything was pristine. The pool was always sparkling, which i found incredible due to the fact that it is an outdoor pool, the open-air corridor was clean and free of sand, and the beach was combed free of any litter. The upkeep of this hotel is fabulous.

Every night I got to fall asleep listening to the ocean crash just beyond my bedroom wall. Which, I must admit, took a bit to get used to. Once I did, though... ahhh... so nice!
It was also nice to go up to the balcony (which you might not notice, but it is a set of stairs on your left, right after you enter the corridor, right across from the entrance to the pool area) and look out on the ocean. There are great views from this hotel.

The owners had just put in a new seating area in the common area, with polished wood benches and table, and a flat screen tv.

This is a fantastic little hotel. I would recommend it (and have!) to anyone else planning on traveling to the Melaque area. I actually just booked another week at Puesta del Sol for this winter when I go back.

• Liked — The location. It is wonderful to be so close to the ocean.
  • Disliked — I don't have a dislike. I love this hotel.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9 Thank LissaAnne
hood river, oregon
Reviewed March 12, 2008

My wife, daughter and I stayed at the Hotel Puesta del Sol on February 29th, March 1st and 2nd of 2008. The facility was extremely clean and the service was excellent. Dollar for dollar, this hotel was the best bargain of any of those we encountered on our trip. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone. There is a wide range of room sizes available, all at very affordable prices. You can find plusher accomodations in the area for substantially higher prices, but if you are only in need of clean basic accomodations and excellent service, why pay more? The pool was extremely clean and well maintained and immediately next to the beach.

Stayed March 2008
4 Thank chayo_8
Vancouver Island
Reviewed February 18, 2008

The Hotel Puesta Del sol is centrally located in Melaque Jalisco, Mexico. The hotel is known as a moderately priced accomodation with most rooms having some type of kitchen facility. There is no restaurant at the hotel.
Booking is a little sketchy. The price of a room changes every time you contact the hotel. Make sure you get what you pay for. I'm pretty sure I paid for an air conditioned room judging by the rate but when inquiries were made, the office staff who seemed fluent in english upon check-in forgot how to speak anything but spanish.
The beach in front of the hotel is clean and pretty.
Now for the room. We paid $64 cdn a night for what I think might be worth $40.
The room and common areas of the hotel were far from spic and span. Dust jack rabbits rolled around the tiled floors on every level.
Even though there was maid service every day, there was so much soap scum on the bathroom and kitchen fixtures you would wonder when they were last cleaned. The shower was full of mildew. The kitchen was so infested with sugar ants that unless all food was kept in the fridge it would be infested in no time. The gas burner stove took an hour to boil a pot of water.
The kitchen sink became plugged and did not get fixed for two days
The nicely built pool was cleaned every other day but often was murky.
Two years ago we stayed just down the beach at a much cleaner place for less money.
Would I go back?
Maybe, for a lot less money

• Liked — beach access
  • Disliked — high rates for mediocre quality
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Freedom2015
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melaque
Hotel & Temazcal Hacienda de Melaque
#2 of 13 in Barra de Navidad
Cabo Blanco Hotel
Cabo Blanco Hotel
#1 of 13 in Barra de Navidad

Been to Hotel Puesta del Sol? Share your experiences!