“Fun Fun Fun in the sun!”
Review of Cabinas Sol y Mar

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Playa Zancudo
Cabinas Sol y Mar
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Stayed here with my best friends and we had a blast! This place actually gave me the idea to move to CR! Rick and Lori are the coolest hosts and they make your stay at Sol Y Mar incredibly fun! They know the area, they know everyone, and whatever you want, if its possible they make it happen. It is rustic but that is the charm, you have your own beach bungalow in paradise and the place is not over run with high rise hotels and tackiness. The food, amazing! And incredibly fresh! The bar at night is so much fun with great music all the time! By far one of the best vacation spots for friends to get lost in paradise!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 27, 2011

I have stayed at this location for 4 out of the last six years. I have read the reviews. I love this place! Ok Rick and Lori are just a little off beat but they have have always provided a great stay. The cabins's are dated and rough, just what I'm looking for. The beach is outstanding, where else can you go during season and find only five people on the beach. The food is the best you will find in the area and prices can't be beat. Willy, Carla are always ready to help. If you are looking to be pampered or have someone jump when you request something.........go elsewhere so the rest of us can enjoy!!!

Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank casey88
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2012

All cabinas have been completely renovated.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

Playa Zancudo has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I've visited and walked... and I loved the laid back atmosphere of the small town and the people I met along the beach or along the street. However, as good a deal as Sol y Mar is (and it is), Lori, the owner's s/o has a lot to learn when it comes to hospitality and graciousness! I agree with an older review: if drinking, foul jokes, loud music and bar noise are not for you then Sol y Mar is not the place for you... and you wll be treated completely differently than the other revellers.... each to his own but it's sad when the only negative experience I've had in Costa Rica has been at the hands of an ex-pat!! But don't skip Zancudo - still one of my highlights in Costa Rica...
despite my unpleasant experience with the management I would still recommend this cabina for location +++ only... and Rick, the owner, seems like a nice guy...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank velepi
Just_Get_Out_There, Owner at Cabinas Sol y Mar, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2011

I had no idea that this guest was dissatisfied. No complaints were made during 2 previous visits and a 3rd booking was made to return the following week, although that last reservation ended up as a no-show, and we were left with an unoccupied cabin for 3 nights.
I must have upset this former guest by chastising her over the phone when she dialed the wrong number some days after the dates booked. We are very adamant about our no cancellation/no change policy during the season, and this is always fully communicated at the time of booking. In this case, we had a verbal promise to honor the reservation. I received no notice of cancellation, and no messages were left.
The stereo at Sol y Mar is small, with small speakers, facing away from the cabins and we have the restaurant and 2 walls of the gift store between the bar and the cabins. The bar can be lively, with smiling, laughing people, and yes, the jokes might not measure up to the yacht-club's standard of good taste. This year, between Feb 5 and 14, we had 5 nights of live music (which this guest specifically booked to come and enjoy). Their country/Americana/folk music is mellow and not one guest has complained about the noise being a bother. The crowds at the restaurant/bar during this period may have given a distorted view of the amount of people we normally host on any given night.
I don't believe I have treated this nor any guest differently because they are not revelers. Owners have the right and responsibility to correct a guest if they are out of line, even though it may result in a vindictive review.

Reviewed February 9, 2011

Fantastic location in sleepy Zancudo where you look out at the sea from the porch of your cabin. Watch picture perfect sunsets from the lively bar (sports on TV and good live music once in a while) where your friendly hosts (Rick and Lori) and the lovely Karla will make you delicious cocktails or serve you ice-cold beer. Big tasty breakfasts, lunches and dinners - you won't want to eat anywhere else. However, there are several restaurants within easy walking distance along the main (dirt) road. Cabins are large with a sofa and table and a cute rock garden shower. Lori & Rick will help you organise taxis or whatever you need

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2011

My wife and I (Mick & Jodie, we are in our mid 40's) spent several weeks in Zancudo in Feb of 2010, now missing that I couldn't go again this year. (Medical bills) This is a real review, I didn't know these guys before I went, just a recommendation from a friend, but I would like to know Rick and Lori for the rest of my life. The Sol Y Mar is the heart of Zancudo for us. Rick and Lori own and Willie and Karla run this hotel with the only real bar and excellent restaurant at the nice side of Zancudo. PROs 70 feet from the beach!, Cabinas are just a few steps from the bar and restaurant. FREE WiFI ! the signal is good! FOOD, the RIBS are to die for. they are about 15 inches lone and 3 are more than enough for me and I weight 275 lbs and stand 6'3". Cheap too, like 6 or 7 bucks for a lavish amount of excellent food. Same for the rest of the dishes, all excellent. The Cabinas are clean and neat with a private bathroom beds and fans which works out perfectly as you don't really need AC and if you want to watch TV (WHY?) you can watch the big TV at the open air cafe / Bar. I would love to go again and plan to as soon as we are well enough. You can rent a bike for 10 bucks a day or better yet get it by the week and its really cheap and its really nice to be able to peddle around the beach to and fro down to the city bakery or up to the pizza place. There is a country grocery store 5 min walk away but Sol Y mar will get you anything you need. CON ;Take plenty of US CASH (not big bills) as the nearest real ATM is at Gulfito or Puerto Jimenez and that is an hour away. and there is a surcharge for Credit Cards. We were there during HIGH season in Feb and yet you can walk the beaches passing only about 6 people an hour. THAT is priceless! Its in a protected gulf so its a really wonderful place. This IS the jungle so don't expect the 4 seasons and bugs are around but none to pesky if you mind what you do. While I was there, I think I spent about a total of 80 bucks a day for the two of us for all Food, Lodging,and my BAR TAB but not including the side trips up the river through the mangrove s kayaking or over to the Oca penisula to the wildlife preserve or the fishing trips (Great fishing) While were there a guy caught a 40 pounder Rooster fish right out of the surf!! no kidding!! they have pictures to prove it , I was stunned. My friend stayed in cabina 5 which is very cheap, 25 a day and it has a little fridge. We stayed in cabina 3 and it ran about 40, I think the nicest one is cabina 4 because its on the end by itself . They have a nice beach house on the property that I would like to rent, but it was booked up because its only about 700 a month! This is your private getaway with a good bunch of ex pats/ locals at the bar to drink with and swap stories Local Musicians and even bands from the states come to play at night. This is the best place I have ever been.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mick-and-Jodie
Reviewed December 18, 2010

We spent 3 nights at Sol y mar in Dec. This is a real get away from it all spot. Rick and Lori do a great job of making you feel welcome and seeing to your needs. You will be greeted in the morning by one of them with a big smile and ask how your night was. Walking this black sand beach is an experience and you can walk for miles and maybe only see one or two other people. You have to want to get to Zancudo to go there but it is worth your while. The rooms are clean and nice in a rustic way. You can hear the sound of the surf as you lay in bed and during the day you can sit on the chairs on your porch and forget about any worries you may have. Their food is great and service is wonderful.
Take the time to brave the rough roads to Sol y Mar and you will not regret it

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2010

In Golfito for business and stayed here for an evening. The boat ride through the mangroves down to Zancudo was awesome. Cabins were clean and comfortable. No A/C, but none of us had any difficulty sleeping. It was great to get away from everything, but still have wifi. I would absolutely, go again. The locals were incredibly gracious and appreciated our book donations.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
#2 of 4 in Playa Zancudo
Cabinas Au Ceour du Soleil
Cabinas Au Ceour du Soleil
#1 of 4 in Playa Zancudo

Been to Cabinas Sol y Mar? Share your experiences!