“40th Birthday Speyside whisky tour”
Review of Highlander Inn

Highlander Inn
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Group of five stayed 6 nights in the adjoining house, which included three bedrooms, bathroom and small lounge. The accommodation was excellent value for money, the only down side being the sloping ceilings. The service from all of the members of staff was top class. The bar staff especially we're all very knowledgeable, friendly and tolerant, even of our singing. Over the week we managed to eat our way through most of the menu, everything we had was a cut above normal pub fare. Difficult to pick a favorite but the haggis neeps and tatties is a must. I would highly recommend staying at the highlander to anyone. The scenery was striking and the location great for getting to lots of distillery tours.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed at the Highlander Inn for 3 nights, the room was large and comfortable,if a little old fashioned,the room was clean and had a good nights sleep,my only slight criticism would be the fact that none of the bedroom windows opened its just personal but I do like some fresh air in the bedroom.
The staff were lovely especially the two young girls in the bar/restaurant,we ate at the hotel on two of the three nights the food was excellent. I would stay again and in fact hope do so again next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We are a group of friends who travel to scotland every year, mostly for whisky tasting. In 2012 we went to Speyside, and we discovered this great bar! We were there every night. It has superb food, exellent service and of course lost of god whiskies. We are going back in 2014, and this time we'll stay here. Will absolutely recommend this great place to everyone!

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stopped by here at our first night in Scotland, arriving from Aberdeen airport. We arrived late, but that was no problem to arrange in beforehand. The Inn lies in Craighellachie, a small town close to Dufftown, the heart of the Speyside whiskies. This is reflected in the bar, which has no less than 430 malts in store! The rooms are rather nondescript, but we slept well. Breakfast is the typical Scottish one, served in a nice dining-room. The in has very affordable prices. If you want to study the Scottish malts and sleep well in the Dufftown area, this is definetly a good choice.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Torkild35
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed for four nights and from the friendly, efficient check-in, through to check-out, the staff could not have been more welcoming and helpful. The room was spacious, airy and clean. Please accept my apologies to the chambermaid for turning the drawers in the dressing table upside down but I needed to create an effective desk, which was the only fault during my trip. the food is really excellent and the selection of whiskies to accompany different foods was incredible. I'll definitely try to book in when I next have business in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2013

In the last 3 years I've travelled 3 times to Scotland and stayed at the Highlander Inn each time. It's one of my favorite Inn's in all of Scotland. From its easy access to all the distilleries in the Speyside region, to the outstanding service by its staff its a jem of a find. The incredible collection of whisky's downstairs in the pub is amazing, each night other guests, staff and myself tried to top each other with the choice of an incredible whisky (and quite fairly priced). The rooms are large and spacious with the back rooms having a view over the River Spey. On my first stay I had my elderly mother with me and they provided a room with easy access to the shower for her plus if I wasn't around one of the staff always helped her upstairs to her room. Duncan and Graeme and their staff have made each stay a truly wonderful experience.
R Andrew
Kitchener
Canada

Room Tip: all I can advise when booking is se eif you can stay away from the mainfloor bedroom the front door...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The Highlander Inn is THE place to stay if you want to tast and to discover whisky!
Nice rooms IN the house and good food, with excellent breakfast.
Duncan is a gentleman. His staff is very friendly.
Hope to come there again soon!
Maarten Klerkx / Holland

Room Tip: The rooms IN the house are first choice.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craigellachie
Craigellachie Hotel
Mansion House
Mansion House
#3 of 7 in Elgin
Tigh na Sgiath Country House Hotel

Been to Highlander Inn? Share your experiences!