“Rustic feel restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Craigellachie
Scotland
“Rustic feel restaurant”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Enjoyed lunch at The Copper Dog Grill with friends. Relaxed friendly atmosphere and very busy for a Thursday lunch time. Food was lovely and service was good, staff polite and attentive. Would recommend a visit here for some scram.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

This hotel has been refurbished really nicely. All the spaces are nice and comfortable. The room is great, bathroom is great. The living rooms with fire places are loverly, the view from the rooms is perfect. The restaurant is very nice and the pub food is good too. And the staff was lovely too.

I felt really comfortable. Would definitively recommend it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Keith, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had our second visit to the Copper Dog within three weeks and whereas the food was good the novice and part trained staff again spoiled what should have been a pleasant dining experience. Simple things like five of our table served and food almost cold before sixth starter arrived. Soup served and no spoons. Bread served with butter and no side plates. Chips served in separate dishes with no utensils to transfer them on to the plates. All those items were provided eventually after asking a passing waiter but that should not have been necessary.
Asked for a wine list and was told that there were three white wines but he could not remember the name of the red (makes selection quite difficult).
I wanted to speak to the manager about the lack of training but he was rushing around serving other diners so did not get a chance. Perhaps a bit more time actually watching his staff and stopping the wasted journeys back to the kitchen to get forgotten cutlery would make for a more efficient restaurant.
Hope the hotel reads this as it could be a nice place to go for a meal with properly instructed waiting staff and you would then get my tip for 'service' which I did not feel was earned on the last two occasions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Roebank
Lillehammer
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We hade a nice stay for 4 days during the Spiritofspeysidefestival in May 2014. Clean nice rooms, Ok breakfast,but missed the Quice bar. They told us that it woold be back later this year. The nearby bus stoop tok us to the nearby Whisky destillerys so we diddent have to drive. Great walue

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had no idea what to expect before arriving at Craigellache Hotel - other than the fact it had been recently refurbished. After a fairly long drive and no sat nav to help with directions I was delighted that the Hotel was not only clearly signposted, but somewhere I wanted to stay upon checking in! My room was extremely clean, light and airy with a beautiful wooden sleigh-style bed. I particularly liked the design and style of the rooms which have obviously been carefully thought out and appear to have their own individual identity. I was travelling alone on business but made to feel instantly at ease by the team who work there who were very friendly and attentive. I wouldn't normally choose to eat by myself but the cosy Copper Dog Bar had such a warm atmosphere that I was more than happy to do so and enjoyed some of the best salmon I have ever tasted. I would highly recommend the Craigellache Hotel to anyone travelling in the area and hope to return again soon - although, with over a 1,000 whiskies stocked in the bar next time it will have to be for leisure, with friends who appreciate a wee dram.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This hotel has a fantastic location very close to many Speyside distilleries (the Macallan Distillery is two miles away) and Aberlour (home of Walkers shortbread, alas closed on a Sunday!). We spent Saturday night there after enjoying a scenic drive up from Dundee through the Cairngorms and visiting a distillery. We couldn't have made a better choice.

The hotel has very recently been refurbished to a high standard. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, the toiletries were really nice and everything was clean and very comfortable. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a room with a view to the forest across the main road. This had the advantage of a great view, though it might be a bit noisy for some (it did not bother me, but my partner complained a bit the next morning).

Service was great. Everyone was friendly and went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. They were also very good about providing us with information about the area, things to do, relevant phone numbers, etc. There is a very cute dog in the premises.

We had dinner at the Copper Dog, and that was another excellent experience. There was some live folk music (just a couple of instruments, no singing) which was lovely and unobtrusive. They accommodated us without prior reservation, which was lucky. I would recommend reserving in advance, especially if you plan to eat at peak time (we had a late dinner, so there was space). The food was really tasty and prices were reasonable. I had oysters to start and my mouth is watering just by thinking about them. My steak was medium - well done (I had asked for medium rare), but it was so juicy and delicious that I did not want to give it back. We did not have dessert because we were really full, but I glanced around at people's desserts and have a bit of food envy; they looked gorgeous. Again, service was impeccable. There is a bar at the Copper Dog as well, with a nice selection of whiskies, ales, and other drinks. I think there will be another bar opening soon, but it is still under refurbishment.

All in all, it was great experience, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area.

Room Tip: If you need absolute quiet to sleep, maybe you should avoid the rooms facing towards the main road.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Bucks
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing visit. Could not wait to see what this grand old place is like after the major make over. The tree growing out of a chimney is still there. The bar/Restaurant is still in the basement but much better than the last attempt. However i feel they have opened too early. No wine list and was told that until they had sold the old stock there would not be one!! Now i like my wine so this was a bad start. None of the real beers were available except i noted they sold to a tourist a pint of sludge!
The much vaunted malt whisky collection is not to be seen,and they had very few of the local basic brands. I was offered a whisky at £55 a nip!
Food ok, fish pie very good but no prawns,the accompanying peas were dried up and naf. The local sausages looked overcooked and the plate just appeared unattractive. Service ok, but please serve the girls first.
I really do hope this gets better, but have a fear that the mediocre level reached to date may become the norm.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank ChilternRugby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Craigellachie
Dowans Hotel
#1 of 3 in Forres
Highlander Inn
Highlander Inn
#1 of 5 in Craigellachie

Been to Craigellachie Hotel? Share your experiences!