“Wish we could have stayed longer”

The Old Rectory at Broseley
Ranked #1 of 4 Broseley B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had booked this as an overnight stay but wish we could have stayed longer. We stayed in the Wenlock Room. Amazing doesnt really do this justice the 4 poster bed was wonderful and the 4 poster jacuzzi out of this world. The whole place is clean tidy and obviously well looked after and cared for If you want relaxation this is the place. The breakfast was outstanding the best Ive ever had at a B&B infact this was more like a top class hotel. % mins from iron bridge and all the atttractions I cannot reccomend this hightly enough

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
david h, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you so much, your opinions matter a great deal to us,and we appreciate the time taken to write up the review. you are a a really nice couple and we hope that you can visit us again in the future, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us.

There are newer reviews for The Old Rectory at Broseley

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The Old Rectory offers outstanding, very clean, very friendly bed and breakfast accommodation in Ironbridge. I searched for a few places in Ironbridge, and this one clearly stood out from the rest.

It was set back from a road, so you it was very quiet and relaxing. Just what I wanted. It also was a 5 min drive to ironbridge gorge where we hired canoes out and paddled up the river seven. If you find its website, you will see that it’s been professionally done but at the same time very welcoming and quite enticing.
A good website, with a vary of different rooms; the old rectory has the only four poster double Jacuzzi bath in town so that was it for me. I always wondered what it would be like, to watch TV while in the bath. Again many times I’ve booked hotels up to £400 a night with a Jacuzzi in the room. None of which had lights inbuilt inside, not as big as this one! It even had a twinkle lights inbuilt above the canopy above you. I was actually vey very impressed. I would say the best one I’ve been to as yet.
The best thing was also the price of the stay! Now I went on a Thursday and currently the owners had it priced for £100.00 including breakfast. Let me tell you, that Yes it was excellent value, we all look for a good bargain but with 5* Luxury. That is very hard to find these days, many really are chain hotels! But if you’re bored of that, go to My Number One Bed And Breakfast in Iron Bridge. The old rectory.
I stayed in the wenlock room, number 6, located next door to the breakfast room on the ground floor.
A stunning property which by the looks of it is extending to provide a bar and a restraint. With an extra master room, so Ill keep check on their progress and Ill be back there.
The owner was a really friendly guy, helpful and is a type of person who seems quite laid back but in a good way. Nothing is too much trouble to ensure your stay is a comfortable with them, now I for one, believe owners can make or break their business. So service and hosptiality was fantastic and hopefully I’ll add some pictures of the bath on here for you all to see.
The TV was a 32 inch hung up on the wall so that’s great, only my slight negative thing, is that it came with no DVD player as listed on website and in room brochure. I did ask the women who checked us in and she said it came without. So our late evening of romantic movies was ruined a little, but we made do with east Enders in the bath. So my only message is to the owner, put a DVD in or take it off the description. Or maybe allow rooms to borrow one if they request.
That’s the only down fall of the place in my opinion.
Breakfast was of quality produce, a nice big portion so that’s nice. Fresh Filtered coffee was much appreciated. And for the first time, on our table were yogurts and activile drinks. Splendid idea there. So yes breakfast was very nice. Although I didn’t see a menu on the table... so unsure what came with the full breakfast. I wasn’t asked for choice of eggs though, maybe you just ask yourself? Their Breakfast came with 2 fried eggs, sausage, 2 bacon, 2 hash brown, fresh tomatoes, baked beans, button mushrooms and black pudding.
5* ON CLEANING, VERY CLEAN INDEED, I MEAN SPOTLESS. I EVEN DID THE HOTEL INSPECTOR CHECK AND YES IT WAS DUST FREE. Great service, nothing was much trouble.
4 half * on the room, Just needs a DVD player for us and maybe a super king bed. But was happy with the double poster as we drew the curtains round and it looked very romantic indeed.
5* Breakfast was lovely and of good quality.

So I will be back to stay when I’m back on Iron bridge, I’ll stay in the other rooms and maybe bring my own DVD player with me. Hahaha...
My best bed and breakfast in Ironbridge.

Room Tip: room 6 ground floor with poster bed and bath in the room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
david h, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2012

Dear Ms Macy
I am Speechless. not even the hotel inspector is so thorough. i am grateful that we came up to expectation. (and of course , relieved and happy.)
Receiving a vote of confidence from you really does mean a lot to us,thank you very much for trusting us with your time and your money

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I was a bit nervous about staying at The Old Rectory due to of some of the reviews, but as the 5* reviews outweighed the bad ones and it looked too good to give a miss, I decided to book 2 nights and wasn't dissapointed.

For someone who has only ever stayed in cheap hotels such as Premier Inn, this B&B really surprised me. The amount of thought that goes into everything is amazing, there was even face wipes and eye make up removing pads in the bathroom (among other useful extras).

We stayed in the Wenlock room which is lovely; so clean and nicely presented. It is such a luxurious room which we got for a really good rate too. All the nice little extras such as shower gel and mouthwash came in useful as we forgot to bring them. I also loved the bottled water, and there was plenty of hot drinks to choose from.

The staff were really nice, so easy to talk to and definitely made us feel welcome. The breakfast was great; a lot of choice, great food and nicely presented. You could tell that everything used was of high quality.

I'll definitely be staying again! Thanks!

Kim Pearce

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
david h, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear Ms Pearce
thank you so much for putting your trust in us.we will be delighted to see you again

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend away for our wedding anniversary and had a fabulous time. David & Sylvia at The Old Rectory were excellent hosts all weekend. The accommodation was superb and their commitment to giving excellent service was far and above anything we,ve ever experienced in any other B&B. We originally booked for 2 nights but decided to stay an extra night! We had to move rooms for our last night as our room had already been booked, but we didn't mind at all, it actually gave us the opportunity to 'sample' another room and we were not disappointed - the room was as luxurious as the first. I personally don't think anyone could expect anything more from this wonderful place, David has thought of everything to make his guests extremely welcome and comfortable - and if you need anything else at all it would be no problem at all - fab job!! We will definitely return and look forward to using the restaurant when open. Annie & Phil Edwards, Doncaster

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 4 & 8 - both were of an excellent standard.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DAVIDH1949, General Manager at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Edwards
we are so glad that we did not let you down, you both work so hard ,you thoroughly deserve more peace and relaxation
we all enjoyed you stay with us, and hope that if you can find the time you can come and visit us again,
our very best regards
Sylvia and David

Reviewed August 26, 2012

As with all first visits to somewhere new, we were sceptical. How foolish we were! Definately the most beautiful place that we have ever stayed. Attention to detail was second to none, with large airy rooms, exceptionally comfy beds, furnishings, toiletries and most of all friendliness. We were treated with the utmost hospitality. As it was August and the evenings were warm, the room had two fans for our use, brilliant! The breakfasts were available until a good time(as we are night birds) and were of an excellent standard, size and freshness. We only stayed for three nights(shame) but thanks to David and Sylvia we felt that we had become friends. We will definately be returning for more exclusive pampering and of course our favorite wine placed in our room. Thank you to you all. Philip and Christine Allison Whitwick.

Room Tip: All rooms were beautiful but possibly for the romantics out there, The Broseley
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DAVIDH1949, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2012

Dear Mr & Mrs Allison
what a delightful experience it has been for us to have you stay here.you both have character and charm in abundance, and we thoroughly enjoyed your visit. we have been genuinely touched by your kindness and generosity.
From everyone at the old rectory, we look forward to your return
regards

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We arrived to the warmest of welcomes to one of the cleanest, well appointed and luxurious bed and breakfast establishments we have ever stayed in. Everything was so well thought about. The room we stayed in had the wow factor and started our weekend off wonderfully. The grounds are a delight and the positioning for attractions is spot on. The champagne deal is well worth investing in. Will definitely return especially when the restaurant is completed. The breakfasts that we had were second to none so if the restaurant food is the same then it will be outstanding. Thank you to everyone who made are stay very special.

Room Tip: The Wrekin room was beautiful
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
DAVIDH1949, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We are delighted with your exceptional review of the Old Rectory.it is a very gratifying experience to so generously praised. From everyone at the Old Rectory ,please accept our deep and sincere thanks. we really appreciate , the wonderful goodwill you have shown .

Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed with friends and were warmly greeted and shown to our various rooms. All were decorated as for a fashion magazine, with the wow factor. Unfortunately the 'wow' stopped there. The rooms were hot and stuffy. The bed was uncomfortable. The bath with jacuzzi took so many gallons to half fill that the other rooms had no hot water! Breakfast was very disappointing, despite being assured by the owner that the mushrooms were fresh, they were tinned. Why tell a lie? The staff were unable to get the correct orders to the guests and chaos reigned. The best things about the whole place were the magnificant hanging baskets. We all agreed that the Old Rectory was an overstated, awesome looking and underachieving B&B, with extortionate prices for what it was able to deliver.
The best part of this stay was the delightful 'Olive Tree' restaurant in Ironbridge. A real gem with delicious fare served by happy, competant staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hezangel
DAVIDH1949, Owner at The Old Rectory at Broseley, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

A professional and curtious reply:
The mushrooms are always fresh, cooked in butter every morning . we have Never used TINNED MUSHROOMS ever... All rooms have thermostatic values on the radiators. i.e. you can adjust the temperature easily to suit yourself..perhaps you did not do this. the Wenlock room to which you refer has TWO WINDOWS 8 FEET TALL AND 4 FEET WIDE, both windows are new sash window which open wide. the would provide more than adequate..ventilation...again, perhaps you did not do this...finally there is a 16" fan in the wardrobe which would have helped make you more comfortable.
. finally we have no control over the weather and it has been very humid at times...having a double jaccuzzi we have an extraction fan above the bath to reduce the humidity.
the mattress is a Millbrook hand built 1600 pocket sprung, famous for their quality. you are to date, the only person to have found it uncomfortable.
If there was any fault on our part please accept my personal apology.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Broseley
Best Western Valley Hotel
Best Western Valley Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ironbridge
Telford Hotel & Golf Resort
Ramada Hotel Telford Ironbridge
The Swan hotel smoke and taphouse
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
Bridge View Guest House
Bridge View Guest House
#1 of 9 in Ironbridge

Been to The Old Rectory at Broseley? Share your experiences!