“A lovely simple place to stay for a night or two”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Crowborough
Hill Cottage Crowborough
Ranked #1 of 9 Crowborough B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Pluses: 1. Maggie & Ted - who manage to be great hosts whilst still finding time to run both the B & B and the Wheatsheaf Inn next door.
2. The Wheatsheaf on your doorstep - a local pub as locals ought to be, with a good mix of friendly customers. Informal dining on good home-cooked food available mid-week only.
3. Breakfast - full English with no stinting
4. Location. Although the cottage is on the edge of the unlovely town of Crowborough - and only a few minutes walk from the train station - it feels as though it is in the country.

Minus: Very comfortable room, but it is in an old cottage, and our clothes felt a little damp in the morning

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Magsted, Owner at Hill Cottage Crowborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2010

Thank you very much for your kind review

Reviewed July 23, 2010

I stayed here for three nights whilst my wife was having a new hip in the local Horder Centre. Absolutely marvellous, Ted and Maggie could not have been more helpful. I only wish I had had more time to explore the beautiful surrounding countryside.
Brian

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Thank you very much for your kind review Brian, and we hope your wife is recovering well from her operation.

Kind regards

Maggie & Ted

Reviewed July 11, 2010

I stayed a couple of nights whilst working in the area. Upon arrival there was no-one in at the B&B but a sign instructs you to ask for Maggie or Ted at the adjacent pub. A very helpful young man in the pub gave me my keys, showed me to my room and left me to it, which is exactly what I wanted after a horrendous 3 hour drive. The room was clean and cosy with comfy beds and a nice sized ensuite and tea and coffee facilities as well as bottled water which I thought was a nice touch.
I met Maggie the following morning when I went down for breakfast. I received a very warm greeting and a wonderful cooked breakfast, just the thing to set me up for the day.
I had dinner in the adjacent Wheatsheaf pub that evening, which was lovely and well priced. I can sometimes feel slightly intimidated walking into a pub as a lone female but the locals were very friendly.
I had to cancel my third night there at short notice due to a schedule change at work, but this was accomodated with no problems.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 4, 2010

This is a hidden treasure - my husband and I came south for a job interview and stayed here for just one night only (sadly). What a great place - super cottage style accommodation, across the road from the best 'local' pub you could ever imagine, we were made to feel very welcome and had a great evening.

Breakfast the next morning was very high qualit y and we were very sad to leave. Next time I am in south-east England I will be coming back here again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grandprixbabe
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Just three rooms available but all light and airy, beautifully clean and two en suite whilst the third has its own largel bathroom across a very small landing. The rooms are close together but substantial walls keep any noise to a minimum. Why not book all three and take the extended family for a break!

Ideal location for exploring the beautiful Ashdown Forest whilst Brighton on the South Coast and the Regency Spa town of Tunbridge Wells are in easy travelling distance. Hourly train service to London Bridge (about 1hr) just a 5 minute walk to the station.

Good, proper breakfast in B&B served by friendly proprietors, an d their Pub just across the car park offers meals most days.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Jollie70
Hillcottage, owner at Hill Cottage Crowborough, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

Thank you very much indeed for your very kind review

Reviewed February 9, 2010

Stayed at Hill Cottage for a few days back in June 08...a gem of a place, really cosy and simply furnished but it all feels perfect. Great location, superb hosts in Ted and Maggie (her breakfasts quite simply set you up for the day!) and in my humble opinion one of the best pubs you''ll ever find located next door (which they also own!)

Would recommend it to anyone...you won't be disappointed!

Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Nick_Wiston
Hillcottage, owner at Hill Cottage Crowborough, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2010

Hi Nick - thanks for your very kind words, we know you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you again sometime soon. Ted & Maggie

Reviewed September 21, 2009

nice room but completely Un rated have to eat over the other side of the road, I always thought that to be a Bed & Breakfast in UK the owner had to Live in the House if any thing had happened you have to cross the road to get help! cheep yes would i stay again No get the feeling just out to take the cash....lots of noise at closing time from the pub

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Hillcottage, Owner at Hill Cottage Crowborough, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2009

Like most B&B's, the cottage has no licence to sell alcohol, but as it happens we also own the next door pub, and our guests are free to drink in their rooms, wherever the purchase has been made.

The pub is our main business activity - Hill Cottage is effectively an annexe (just as many other B&B's have an annexe) on the other side of the shared driveway (not a road). Experienced B&B users will know that breakfasts are never normally served in annexes, the guests are almost invariably expected to go to the main building. In the case of Hill Cottage we always serve breakfast there, but there was just one exception to this in the 3 years we have operated it when guests were asked if they would mind going to the main pub building for their breakfast (in late July of 2009, and then only because we were taking a rare few days off ourselves and needed to make an early start).

As to the question of being in it just for the money, we are confident that our tariff is very competitive and that our quality is very good, we are happy that our guests get value for money and this is borne out by the high number of return visits and longer term guests that we have.

Been to Hill Cottage Crowborough? Share your experiences!