Conchal Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Mariner Inn(Playa Flamingo)
Guanacaste Lodge(Playa Flamingo)
  • Pool
Flamingo Marina Resort(Playa Flamingo)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewspapaya restaurantcosta ricaboutique hotelguacamolean oasisbusy roadplaya brasilitosmall hotelthe main roaddelicious foodlive musicsuperior roomowners and staffminute walktropical plantsthe entire stafflittle gem
Reviewed April 19, 2013

we spent 3 nights here on our honeymoon, and found hotel conchal to be a superb blend of comfort and hospitality. a 5 minute walk from the beach and small cluster of restaurants and shops made for a great location. the room was spacious and extremely clean with a good wifi signal. breakfast was included and was basic but of excellent quality. the pool was small but clean and of perfect temperature. my favorite part of the hotel was the ambiance at night. the way the hotel is decorated and lit was extremely romantic. tuesday night featured live music in the restaurant and was very entertaining, a talented solo guitarist/vocalist playing american hits mostly from the 70's and 80's - highly recommend if get a chance. finally, the hosts simon and hilda were friendly and helpful and made sure all of our special requests were fulfilled.

*side note: the only bad thing that happened to us (which had nothing to do with the hotel) was that our flip flops were stolen at the beach while swimming in the ocean. brasilito does not appear to be a dangerous place at all, but don't leave any personal property unattended, no matter the value.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Simon and Hilda the most charming host and hostess. I stayed for 10 days at the Conchal Hotel recovering from a fire in my apartment in Vancouver, Canada. I had the best food and the most wonderful time. The room was perfect, with a most comfortable bed, nice appointments, air (which I did not need really), cable TV (which I did not watch) as I wanted to be out and about. The other wonderful experience regarding staying at Conchal were the other guests. The type of person who likes a boutique hotel is much different than people who want the big resort experience. My experience was serene and uplifting. It was perfect. PS Hilda is a 5 Star chef in my opinion.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Simon P, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

It really was our pleasure to have you as our guest at Conchal! Thanks so much for your comments, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to 'recharge' after your problems at home.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent two nights at Conchal in March. The hosts were gracious and the property well-maintained. The garden is quaint and pretty. The pool and restaurant areas are the highlights. We found the room itself to be fairly average. The pros: clean, good space, a/c, an in-room fridge, and warm water in the shower. The con: the bed was not comfortable (room 5). My side was okay; my husband said he could feel a spring or two. A feather bed on top of the mattress would go a long way. We didn't have trouble with road noise, even though we were close to the road. It's nice to be able to walk to both Playa Brasilito and Playa Conchal. We visited Sugar Beach on our last day, and if we were to go back, we'd probably look at staying at the small resort there (right on the beach) and dining at Papaya - the restaurant at Hotel Conchal - at least one night, rather than staying there (we were pleasantly surprised by the live music of Don Carlos on the Tuesday night of our visit). The food is quite good - the chips and guac became a quick favorite. We also enjoyed dining at Mar y Sol in Flamingo (well after the sunset crowds had dispersed). Overall, we were pleased with our stop and stay at Conchal. While a good value, with a few tweaks, a bit better night's sleep would be ensured, and the value increased.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara V

Thanks for taking the time to post your review and for letting us know about the problem with your bed. We have now taken care of the problem, with a new bed in this room as well as a few other extras (including new ceiling fan and flat screen tv).

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have never ever dreamt of posting a review on trip advisor but after the amazing time myself and my girlfriend spent at the conchal hotel I felt compelled to stress just how enjoyable our stay was. Both Hilda and Simon were the perfect hosts and made us feel extremely welcome indeed. Our room was beautiful and the cocktails on offer were a welcome distraction after a hard day at the beach(conchal beach is beautiful although a good 15-20 minute walk from the hotel)The food on offer in the restaurant is wonderful and the hotel decor/swimming pool/garden all help create a nice relaxed vibe. Great hotel, fantastic service.Sitting in my lounge in England on a freezing March evening I only wish that I was back at the Conchal hotel now!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank racheypoos1
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here from December 27- January 2nd and loved it. My wife and I had our 4 year-son with us as well and could not have asked for a better place to stay. This hotel is centrally located between several great beaches and provides a good slice of the local life with only a 3-4 minute walk once off of the property. The moment you step inside the hotel you feel like you are right at home and can relax how you choose to relax, whether that is pool side, in a hammock, surfing the internet in the shaded lounge, or enjoying a drink on your porch. Simon and Hilda do an exceptional job at making you feel like your comfort and time are what is most important to them. They do an excellent job with the dinners (the best meals that we had were here at the hotel, though they were a bit pricey), and they make it very casual in how they allow you to choose where you want to eat, whether it's by the pool, in the restaurant seating, or in your room.
The wifi did not work well at times, but that wasn't too big of a hangup. We also had some trouble with the international calling since it was done through MagicJack, but really it was not necessary anyways since we were on vacation!
It was nice to use the taxi service that they recommended as well, since the taxi drivers were both friendly and they felt safe also.
We went at the most expensive time of the year, but we actually felt like we got a bargain given the level of service provided as well as the quality of the rooms the rest of the grounds. This is easily a hotel/B&B that you don't mind spending a lot of down time at as it is a great way to relax and recharge for the next day at the beach! We've already told family members that we are staying here when we bring them to Costa Rica with us the next time. My wife is from Costa Rica and it has been her favorite place to stay along the west coast. Having Playa Flamingo and Playa Tamarindo so close was a plus, as well as having Playa Conchal being only a 10-15 minute walk away (plan on it being a 20 minute walk if you have young kids).
After seeing all of the other hotels in town, this is by FAR the best for getting away from the busyness of the beaches and the town. You won't think much of it when you see it from the road, but once you walk onto the property you realize that you are surrounded by a garden and great hosts. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family