“A nice escape”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Brasilito
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“A nice escape”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We spent two nights at Conchal in March. The hosts were gracious and the property well-maintained. The garden is quaint and pretty. The pool and restaurant areas are the highlights. We found the room itself to be fairly average. The pros: clean, good space, a/c, an in-room fridge, and warm water in the shower. The con: the bed was not comfortable (room 5). My side was okay; my husband said he could feel a spring or two. A feather bed on top of the mattress would go a long way. We didn't have trouble with road noise, even though we were close to the road. It's nice to be able to walk to both Playa Brasilito and Playa Conchal. We visited Sugar Beach on our last day, and if we were to go back, we'd probably look at staying at the small resort there (right on the beach) and dining at Papaya - the restaurant at Hotel Conchal - at least one night, rather than staying there (we were pleasantly surprised by the live music of Don Carlos on the Tuesday night of our visit). The food is quite good - the chips and guac became a quick favorite. We also enjoyed dining at Mar y Sol in Flamingo (well after the sunset crowds had dispersed). Overall, we were pleased with our stop and stay at Conchal. While a good value, with a few tweaks, a bit better night's sleep would be ensured, and the value increased.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sara V
Simon P, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to post your review and for letting us know about the problem with your bed. We have now taken care of the problem, with a new bed in this room as well as a few other extras (including new ceiling fan and flat screen tv).

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
maidenhead, england
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I have never ever dreamt of posting a review on trip advisor but after the amazing time myself and my girlfriend spent at the conchal hotel I felt compelled to stress just how enjoyable our stay was. Both Hilda and Simon were the perfect hosts and made us feel extremely welcome indeed. Our room was beautiful and the cocktails on offer were a welcome distraction after a hard day at the beach(conchal beach is beautiful although a good 15-20 minute walk from the hotel)The food on offer in the restaurant is wonderful and the hotel decor/swimming pool/garden all help create a nice relaxed vibe. Great hotel, fantastic service.Sitting in my lounge in England on a freezing March evening I only wish that I was back at the Conchal hotel now!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank racheypoos1
Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here from December 27- January 2nd and loved it. My wife and I had our 4 year-son with us as well and could not have asked for a better place to stay. This hotel is centrally located between several great beaches and provides a good slice of the local life with only a 3-4 minute walk once off of the property. The moment you step inside the hotel you feel like you are right at home and can relax how you choose to relax, whether that is pool side, in a hammock, surfing the internet in the shaded lounge, or enjoying a drink on your porch. Simon and Hilda do an exceptional job at making you feel like your comfort and time are what is most important to them. They do an excellent job with the dinners (the best meals that we had were here at the hotel, though they were a bit pricey), and they make it very casual in how they allow you to choose where you want to eat, whether it's by the pool, in the restaurant seating, or in your room.
The wifi did not work well at times, but that wasn't too big of a hangup. We also had some trouble with the international calling since it was done through MagicJack, but really it was not necessary anyways since we were on vacation!
It was nice to use the taxi service that they recommended as well, since the taxi drivers were both friendly and they felt safe also.
We went at the most expensive time of the year, but we actually felt like we got a bargain given the level of service provided as well as the quality of the rooms the rest of the grounds. This is easily a hotel/B&B that you don't mind spending a lot of down time at as it is a great way to relax and recharge for the next day at the beach! We've already told family members that we are staying here when we bring them to Costa Rica with us the next time. My wife is from Costa Rica and it has been her favorite place to stay along the west coast. Having Playa Flamingo and Playa Tamarindo so close was a plus, as well as having Playa Conchal being only a 10-15 minute walk away (plan on it being a 20 minute walk if you have young kids).
After seeing all of the other hotels in town, this is by FAR the best for getting away from the busyness of the beaches and the town. You won't think much of it when you see it from the road, but once you walk onto the property you realize that you are surrounded by a garden and great hosts. Hope this helps.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DempseySoccer
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I would say it was a great stay. I was there from January 2nd through the 4th. We stayed two adults and a one year old baby.
We were welcomed warmly with a nice tropical fruit smoothie by Simon. The rooms are very nice. Our room was right by the road, and it wasn't loud at all. The place is in a secluded jungle type setting with a nice, always clean plunge pool. There are tables to eat at by the pool as well. The food was really fantastic, everything I tried was great, Hilda even prepared pasta and other made to order dishes specifically for my daughter. When my daughter wasn't feeling well and was fussy while eating at the treehouse restaurant, I asked to move down by our room to eat, Hilda and Simon helped move our whole meal down to our room and even personally brought the food to us as they saw my fiancée was stressed from our daughter being fussy.
They helped with getting taxis by calling for us. Anything we needed they helped with. Even sterilizing and heating up baby bottles. Food excellent ! Some food preparation is a little longer depending on what you order, but understandably so, everything is an art piece. Some dinner options are a little pricier, but there are other options as well. The rooms are beautiful, hard wood and tile, nice tv, iPod docks, furnishings, mini fridge and two large mirrors . The bathroom was spacious as was the shower all tile. The bathroom could use a little more light. Hot water in the both room sink would be nice as well. It is an upgrade they could make. Ac worked great. I felt i little scared to have my 1 yr old baby up at the treehouse restaurant, because there are plenty of little holes between the wood for her to slip through. it was causing some anxiety for my fiancee as well, but putting something over around the bottom few feet of the wood railing wood obstruct views, which. Understand,if you have little ones you might want to eat down at the pool level.Other than that. No complaints. The treehouse is so incredible. I would go up at night to the top around 11 pm and just sit , listen to the breeze blowing in the treetops that I'm sitting in. It was such a relaxing experience. In the day I would sit up top and check my email on my ipad with their wifi service. While drinking complimentary tea or coffee. I can't remember the young ladies name or the young gentlemen that was Costaricennse he was nice and pleasant. I will definetly come back and next time ill bring my family and will reccomend to all my friends as the best option in that area.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was our second visit to Hotel Conchal. We were here for a week last year and another this year. We always end our last week of our vacation here at Hotel Conchal. In our opinion, it is the best place in the area.

Hilda, Simon and the entire staff makes sure that you are well taken care of.

The rooms are large, comfortable king size beds, storage for your clothes and a safe. Large washroom with a good size shower. It is so peaceful to sit around the pool reading, napping or enjoying the excellent food that Hilda makes. "For some reason I always seem to gain weight when we visit"☺ The breakfast in the morning is healthy and a great start to the day.

They have an all you can barbeque on Saturday nights which is sooo delicious! The chicken and seafood, just awesome!

David, aka, the "Mojito Man"! makes an awesome Mango Mojito! Can't say enough good things about Hotel Conchal, it is the place to stay when visiting Brasalito. You won't be disappointed!

Looking forward to returning next year.

We miss everyone dearly! We feel like they are family

Nick & Jo

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank NickPOttawa
London, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Conchal Hotel for one night on Feb 26. We arrived after 2 nights at an all inclusive so wanted to shift gears to something small and quaint. We spent time on trip advisor the night before and wanted o check it out. When you see it from the road, it's not much to see. Once you cross the threshold into the courtyard, its like you have entered paradise. There's a cute pool, lush gardens, trickling fountain, beautiful flowers and an awesome 3 storey rancho-style restaraunt and third floor lounge with hammocks and sofa's. Just so cool. Once we checked out the room and quickly checked in and I was poolside in half an hour posting pictures on Facebook of my own personal paradise:)

Jeanette was very kind and helpful and the other staff were sweet and attentive. Sometimes I worry in a small hotel that I will fell like I am being watched or that the staff will be in your face all the time. No worries with that here. They are there if you need them but I felt like we had the place to ourselves most of the time.

We liked that there was wifi here and cable TV. The rooms are really clean an cute with a tropical feel. The bathroom and shower was really nice - it looked recently updated and was one of the best showers we had all week with decent water pressure. I would have liked another shelf in the bathroom for our cosmetics bags. Unfortunately, the King bed was warped a bit and dipped signifigantly in the middle, so I spent the night rolling into my husband. But it's very quiet and peaceful at night with the sounds of insects and the odd monkey grunting.

The restaraunt here is amazing - both the food and the environment are very special. It's 5 star food, no doubt and primarily is seafood on the menu but offers many other things. We met folks that had come from Flamingo Beach Resort where thre are about 20 restaraunts steps away from the resort, yet they came to eat here. The presenation and preparation is wonderful and you can tell the chef takes great deal of care with every plate.

As long as your exepctations are realistic, you will adore it here. It is a small, simple hotel full of charm and character and is an excellent value.

Tip for hotel: some foam trim or something to seal up the gaps around the doors.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I were married on Playa Conchal as the sun was setting. We toasted champagne with the 12 friends and family we brought with us as the moon was rising. It was the most magical evening of my life, and I have Simon & Hilda, the owners of Conchal Hotel, to thank for it.

From the very first phone conversation, I knew I we had chosen the right venue for the ceremony, reception & hotel for our friends and family. Hilda was amazing and had the best ideas for the wedding. She and Simon took care of everything from my hair and makeup appointments, having the guys' suits and shirts ironed, the menu, the cake (Oh my gosh, that cake!) the flowers, transportation, etc. We didn't have to do a single thing. We had a Mariachi band during dinner, danced all night in the Rancho, dipped our feet in the pool, smoked cigars, drank champagne - It was my favorite night ever.

We're hoping to come back to stay again at Conchal Hotel for our one year anniversary.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Simon P, Owner at Conchal Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Katie, we are so glad you were happy with your wedding - it was a real pleasure to make the arrangements and to host your family and friends. Good luck to you both in the future and we look forward to seeing you on your anniversary!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brasilito
Bahia del Sol Beach Front Boutique Hotel
#2 of 5 in Playa Potrero
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
Andaz Peninsula Papagayo Resort
#1 of 13 in Gulf of Papagayo

Been to Conchal Hotel? Share your experiences!