“A great find near beautiful Playa Conchal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Brasilito

Hotel Brasilito
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Brasilito
Buffalo
“A great find near beautiful Playa Conchal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2010

The Hotel Brasilito was a serendipitous choice for my husband and me when we recently spent three days there during our recent visit to Costa Rica. For $50.00 a night, we stayed in a room (with a large ceiling fan) that looked out upon the water and afforded us the pleasure of hearing the waves at night. Each morning, we could watch the local villagers running out to the beach to catch the plentiful supply of "gurel", and each evening we enjoyed delicious dinners provided by the restaurant below our room Outback Jack's and other local eateries that were right near our hotel. (We had two of the best meals of our entire trip in this village.) The owner and all of the employees we met were very accommodating in every way, and all of the ticos in this little village were very pleasant and helpful in every way. We spent ten days in Costa Rica, and if we ever have the wonderful opportunity to return, we will definitely return to Hotel Brasilito.

I should add that my husband and I enjoy traveling on our own and especially want to experience places that are not necessarily just meant for tourists. Also, since we enjoy being outdoors and don't care about spending time in our hotel room, we don't look for luxuries in our lodgings. We just want our accommodations to be clean and comfortable for sleeping. Keeping these facts in mind, Hotel Brasilito was a great find. It is within a short walking distance of the Playa Conchal and a very easy15 minute drive to Tamarindo.

One word of advice, however-- if you happen to arrive on a Saturday as we did, be prepared to be up until midnight listening to some great Costa Rican music that will pour from a local hangout that is right across from the hotel. Also, since there is a restaurant right below the part of the hotel that we stayed in, there is activity until about ten each night and pots and pans rattling by about six in the morning. These hours fit in perfectly with our plans, but may not suit everyone!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Santa Cruz, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed here for 4 nights during New Year's week.

Pros:
You're right on Playa Brasilito, which is really nice, and a 10 minute walk to Play Conchal, which is beautiful. Free wifi (internet) if you have your own computer. There are several restaurants, an ATV rental place, and 2 mini supermarkets within short walking distance. AC works well (but costs extra).

Cons:
We stayed in Room C, which is "ocean front" but should really be called restaurant front. On the hotel website (brasilito.com), all ocean front rooms are advertised as having a balcony and we assumed we would have a balcony, but that's not what we got even though we paid the price for the 'ocean front' room. The door opens into the tables of the restaurant, and the ocean is across the street. The restaurant starts to gets noisy and in the evening they often have live bands. To add to the din, there's a disco across the street that seems to crank up the volume to compete with the restaurant. The room walls are thin and you may as well be at the bar. Bring earplugs if you want to sleep. The staff was indifferent. Check-in consisted of "here's your key." On check-out we were told that paying with credit card cost 5% extra. If they would have mentioned this at check-in, we could have gone to the ATM to get cash.

The rooms are very basic- it would be hard to find a motel in this poor of condition in the U.S. No TV or phone. No glasses. No machine for ice. Just 2 old beds, a small table with 2 chairs, and a wardrobe. (They did give us clean towels, toilet paper, and a small bar of soap.) We had hot water about half the time. Walls and ceilings of the bathroom were moldly. Floors were uneven tile, and dirty. The only windows faced the restaurant, so if you didn't want diners staring into your room, you had to shut the curtains (on a rusty curtain rod) and be in very dim surroundings. This would all be ok if the price was right, but the price wasn't right. We paid $82 per night for this room during New Year's week. The Hilton Liberia for the same time period was $100 per night and there's just no comparison. This should room have been $40 max per night, even during peak season.

Recommendations:
There are lots of other accomodations nearby, I'd recommend checking them out. The Hotel Conchal looked nice (and had a pool), and the Brasilito Lodge looked like it probably offered slightly better kinds of lodging (and camping) for a lower price.

The hotel restaurant, Outback Jack's, is cute but overpriced and with mediocre food. Breakfast was more reasonable, but nothing special. We did have a nice meal at "La Guinette" next door to the hotel (across from the soccer field). They had really fresh fish.

The town of Brasilito is worth a visit if you're looking for a chill beach destination, but I'd recommend finding a different place to stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank tonalvariation
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

When we checked in to Hotel Brasilito, my girlfriend and I were a bit concerned that the rooms were located too close to Outback Jacks (the overpriced, noisy, hotel restaurant that serves mediocre food at best). The room itself seemed to be about par with the rest of Costa Rica, the size was fair, the bathroom was large and actually had decent water pressure. It was quite apparent though, that our room (Room #1 on the 2nd floor) was an addition to the main structure. The floor was noticeably sloped and the bed was oriented such that your head would be lower than your feet when lying in it. However, what really put us off was not what was in our room, but located directly below it; you see, every 30 minutes a machine would, quite abruptly and loudly, turn on and run for about 1 minute. The noise was too much, even for the deepest of sleepers, I'm sure. However, I'll never know for certain because we promptly checked out after the receptionist didn't know what I noise I was referring to, and looking at the only other room available, which happened to be the upstairs ocean view room situated directly above the aforementioned loud substandard restaurant, we were convinced that a decent sleep is not something this establishment strives to attain.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CalgaryAloysius
Cape Cod
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2009

We have stayed at the Hotel Brasilito every time we've been to Costa Rica (approx. 5 x). It is a wonderful place to, a) start a vacation or, b) end up at the end of a trip to CR to unwind & relax in a truly wonderful and authentic Tico town. We've hesitated to submit a review in the past since we really didn't want anyone to know about this little gem. But since so many others have submitted positive reviews we thought we should put in our 2 cents worth. So if you read this, believe us that this is a great bare bones, friendly Tican experience. But please don't be the "Ugly American" if it falls short of your expectations.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
las vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2009

first of all, the staff is great, the rooms are clean and the outback restaurant complements this hotel. As far as other reviews I read the hotel is best yo can get for your money.. This is a great place to stay and not just for 4 days as other reviews have written. If you are looking to stay in a luxury hotel locked up in a room then don't come to costa rica. This hotel allows you to enjoy costa rica period. Its got that outdoor feeling and the ocean besides it is just ideal. trust me on this one!!!! Jamie the Architect.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank jarkitek
Miami
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2009

The rooms here are very basic, but they did have A/C. They were adequately clean, but this is basically the quality of having a private room in a decent youth hostel. You are paying for the location; a 15-20 minute walk on the beach to Playa Conchal, reputedly one of the nicest beaches in Guanacaste. If you wanted to stay on Conchal itself there are only very high-end expensive hotels, so this is a good option to be close. It is also a very close walk to the little town square with some stores and restaurants.

The Outback Jack restaurant on the property is nice and a bit pricey. The Tico staff was very friendly at the front desk. Brasilito beach looks nice at sunset but you really must walk down to Conchal for a nice beach.

I had one unpleasant incident here. I am loathe to accuse any hotel staff of stealing without being 100% certain of it, so I won't, but my cell phone went missing and I really am quite sure I never took it from the room. The management was pretty defensive about the whole affair and swore by their staff. That was fine, buy when my girlfriend went down to leave our number in case it was found, she was snapped at by the manager, which was not cool, as she was being very polite about it. So I am not saying my phone was stolen by the cleaning staff, and not telling anyone not to stay here because of it, but just use the safe behind the desk to be more sure of things.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Seward,Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2009

This was my 1st stop on my travels through CR. I spent 4 nights here. I wish more places had been similiar. I was exhausted after 2 days of flights and a terrible shuttle ride from the Liberia airport. Brian was right there to haul my luggage up the stairs and also brought them back down when I was leaving. He made sure all my needs were taken care of. No TV or internet in the room, so he found me an electricial adapter and I was able to watch a movie on my laptop. (I found a couple of places during my travels that had different electric outlets requiring the need for an adapter, so you might want to bring one from home.)

There's WiFi in Outback Jack's restaurant right next door, which serves spendy but very good food.

The room was good size and very clean. I never saw 1 bug in my room! The persistant maid arrived at 11am every morning with clean towels etc.

The AC worked great and there was also a large ceiling fan. The bed was a bit hard and springy but not uncomfortable. Bathroom of average size with a big shower.

It can be noisey with the bar across the road and the families living out back with kids playing and dogs barking .

Was really kewl to have a monkey in the tree right outside my room. That ended up being the closest I'd see one in 2 months.

The beach was nice and very close, being right across the road.

Thanks again to Brian for the fantastic service.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brasilito
Conchal Hotel
Paradise Flamingo Beach
Paradise Flamingo Beach
#2 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal

Been to Hotel Brasilito? Share your experiences!