“Great Layout - Dissapointing Experience”

Reserva Conchal Golf Course
Ranked #4 of 8 things to do in Brasilito
Boulder, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Layout - Dissapointing Experience”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Maybe I'm missing something because after reading the reviews of this course I feel like I must have played somewhere totally different. We played this course in the middle of the dry season (March), so I understood that it would not be in perfect shape, but I did not expect to pay $150 for a course that is burned to a crisp. I must have moved my ball ten times to get out of dead patches in the fairway and burned out areas around the green. After the first hole, I just putted everything within 20 feet of the green as it's like chipping off of cement. The main thing here is that a little customer service would go a long way when the course is far from perfect and they don't even come close. Day one we arrived at the resort and wanted to hit balls a little before playing the next morning. After having a bunch of issues checking in, we arrived at the pro shop at 4:40 to find that the driving range closed at 5. Guy at the desk basically said, "it's $20 to hit balls no matter how much time you have and it's not our problem that check in took an hour and a half (front desk mistakes) because the golf course and hotel have different ownership." Hmmm, interesting perspective. Despite this we paid $40, hit ratty clubs for 10 minutes only to realize that they didn't give us tees and there are none at the range. Wow. They were super prompt when it came to getting us off the range at 5 though. Playing was the same story. They gave us both rental clubs, decent Callaway sets, but I discovered on the third tee box that the head of my driver was literally about to fall off. Had to wait until the turn to get it fixed because there is no staff anywhere except for one person in to take your money and another to give you your cart and broken clubs. Course is wonderfully designed by RTJ II, spectacular vistas and an overall very cool layout for all skill levels but I think he would be sick to see the shape it's in. From our three days at the resort it appears that the course doesn't get a ton of play (maybe at this time of year?) but that can't justify having almost no staff, no management and just leaving two guys who could care less to attend to guests. We won't be back to the course and because we like to play golf once or twice a week on vacation I guess we won't be back to the resort again either - despite the fact that they "have different ownership."

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Aran R

San Jose, Costa Rica
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach But Dangerous”
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Awesome beach but the beach is deep ....I would say 5-7 feet into the water and you are almost neck deep....Dangerous !

Visited March 2014
1 Thank MLDeepak
Toronto, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Very good for a hot weather resort course!”
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

This is our second visit to Reserva Conchal. This is a good hot weather golf course and is in decent shape. Challenging because a lot of the holes are uphill and often play into the prevailing wind. They have a nicely little range and short game practice area which are often empty. Pro shop reception is good. You can buy a 3 game or 5 game package to bring the average cost per round close to $100US per round. Fun to see lots of birds and wildlife including howler monkeys. It's not the Four Seasons wrt views or conditioning but worth playing for sure.

Visited February 2014
Sussex
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Awesome course”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Spectacular and challenging course. Friendly helpful staff and a beer cart lady with one of the best smiles on the planet.

Visited January 2014
La Jolla, California
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Good resort course”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This course has good challenges but is fair, with tee boxes well suited to even higher handicap players. Poor shots are penalized with lots of bunkers and other hazards but good shots are not as occurs on some courses. We played in dry season so the trenches were dry and your ball usually was playable if you landed there which is pretty easy to do as they guard many of the greens. Pace of play on our day was excellent. All in all a pleasant round although quite expensive (we were told $190 including cart and range balls per person).

Visited January 2014