“Laughed all the way to the lock and back”
other traveler has booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Matt C
Kidderminster, England, United Kingdom
“Laughed all the way to the lock and back”
Reviewed September 3, 2016 for a stay in August 2016
people found this review helpful

What can I say about Star Narrowboats and the week long holiday we had. Fantastic! We were in a party of 4 and from arriving at the marina to boarding our boat Gloria we had an amazing time. Hestor the owner give us a full brief and accompanied us for the first 20 minutes while we had got use to handling Gloria. It's a beautiful boat well equipped, yes of course it's cozy, it will be it's a narrow boat.

We travelled down to Middlewich and along the the Runcorn Arm (the latter I would give a miss) but on the trip to Middlewich we did three exciting tunnels and a couple of locks. It's a great route as the first lock is a stop lock so it only raises you a few inches and gets you used to locks. I wish we had gone further to Sandbach.

There are great pubs along the route and even a Nando's at Stockton Heath but Lymm is so pretty. Why not take a trip up and down the Anderton Boat Lift, if you dont want to do it yourself with your boat,there are boat trips organised by the lift people.

Plan your toilet duties and taking on water it becomes easy to do after the first time. It's a great way to spend time with friends and we laughed all the way.

Thoroughly recommend Star Narrowboats and if you want a more intimate trip Queenie is a gorgeous boat for two.

Liked best: Feeling free and drifting along at 5mph
Liked least: Elsan Empty duties as my pirate crew did not share these lol
Traveling group: Friends
Sep 5, 2016
Hello Matt (and friends), thanks for taking time to make a review of your hire aboard Gloria, I loved meeting you all.
Jonathan...
Middlesbrough, England, United Kingdom
“And relax....”
Reviewed August 14, 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

A lovely 2 night stay aboard Queenie, a fine-looking 50ft narrowboat on the Bridgewater Canal. After our lesson from the owner Hester, we were off exploring. The first night we moored up alongside the tow-path in Dunham Massey. It was nice and quiet on the canal with only 2 other boats in view. A good meal at the Axe and Cleaver in the village followed, with a few pints of real ale for good measure. After this we went back to the boat and just sat on-deck, enjoying the calm warmth of the sunset, ably enhanced with a bottle (or two) of wine.

Next day we headed to the small town of Lymm. Popular with boaters, it was a bit more busy. Lots of admiring glances and comments from passers-by regarding Queenie (I'd swear she was glowing with the praise!).

Our second night found us back in Dunham Massey and the Axe and Cleaver, before a good night's sleep and the trip back to Queenie's home (I didn't want to give her back!).

If you're newbies to narrowboating like us, I would highly recommend Star Narrowboats. The lesson from Hester put us at ease and the canal is quite wide in most places and very forgiving. Also, no locks to negotiate. We would love to go back.

Liked best: The boat!
Liked least: Dodging another boat that veered in front of us!
Older travelers People with pets
Aug 15, 2016
Hi Julie and Jonathan, thanks so much for leaving your review of Queenie. Lovely to meet you both...come back soon. Hester
Doug A
“QUEENIE”
Reviewed July 16, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
person found this review helpful

First time on a narrowboat, booked for 3 nights and had a great time - the boat 'Queenie' was more than comfortable and easy to operate. Hester was a great mentor in the use of her boat and provided excellent advice, thanks Hester - hope to come back for a longer cruise in the future.

Jul 17, 2016
Hi Jill and Doug, thanks for taking the time to make a review. I'm very glad that you had a good time aboard Queenie. Next time you plan a trip from Sydney, AU why don't you come and try some locks!! Best wishes Hester
climmo
Lancashire
“Ten star narrowboat”
Reviewed July 12, 2016 for a stay in July 2016
people found this review helpful

If I could give Gloria ten stars across the board I would . Brilliant week. Novices but learned as we went along and had brilliant tuition from glorious Hester . Also have to thank the kindness of strangers who helped with locks and bridges (we opted to head to haskayne rather than lymm which does not have locks) . Two friends joined us half way through and still there was plenty of room. They loved the experience. The beds were sooooo comfy and bigger than I expected. The canal journey was brilliant and we stopped off at all kinds of places. Crook hall a particular favourite. Bravo Hester and Gloria for giving us one of the best holidays we have ever had . Julie and Richard

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Jul 13, 2016
Hello The Climpson’s, how great that you picked Gloria for one of your 30th anniversary holidays. I’m so happy that you loved the boat and that your first narrowboat holiday was a success. Thanks very much for leaving a review and of course welcome back anytime. Best wishes for another 30 yrs together Hester.
bakerspai...
Javea, Spain
“Amazing,fantastic,brilliant, Hester we love you !!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2016 for a stay in June 2016
people found this review helpful

Absolutely fantastic time, boat superb , Hester wonderfully helpful, held family re-union of 19 for picnic (only 2 sleeping on board) terrific , Grandchildren will remember forever and so enjoyed everything,, We love Hester and all she did for us , truly amazing young lady, very understanding and helpful and owner of such a wonderful boat..We wish you great success
and would love to meet up again sometime-
Sandra and Malcolm

Liked best: everything !
Liked least: Nothing !
Families with young children People with pets
Jun 24, 2016
Sandra and Malcolm, so good to have your great review - thanks very much. Yes let's meet up - one day when I'm roaming around Spain again I'll look you up in Javea. Hester xx
Clare W
“SEXIST THIEVES- AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
Reviewed May 26, 2016 for a stay in April 2016
people found this review helpful

I booked Gloria for myself and my 7 yr old daughter from the 9th until 13th April. It was to celebrate my 40th birthday. I had planned the itinerary and made arrangements to meet family and friends along the way to celebrate my 40th.
When we arrived on the day of hire, Hester's body language said it all. She sat on the bench with her head on her hands. I knew then this was not going to happen. Hester said " if I had known your daughter was so young I wouldn't of agreed to the hire" Seeing that my emails had clearly stated my daughter was 7 I found that bizzare, There is NO mention of not hiring to single parents on the website or paperwork sent to me.
Hester then proceeded to sabotage the lesson. She had already made her mind up we weren't having this boat and was highly stressed and rude to us...obviously not a mother! She gave me incorrect instruction then bit my head off if I wasn't central in the canal. She said watch me moor up, gave no instruction as to what she was doing and then said " you do it" Obviously I tried my best to impress her and I was very pleased with how I single handedly moored up but her mind had already been made up as she then refused to hire the boat saying I wouldn't manage.
As we returned to the marina Hester crashed Gloria into two other boats needing help from two passers by. This was ironic to say the least after she insisted I couldn't manage.
The previous day Hester had hired her other boat to a man and his son. I felt this was sexually discriminating to say a man and son could manage but a woman and daughter could not.
Hester then proceeded to STEAL my money. She gave a verbal assurance she would refund the full £520 only to credit my account with £380. When I questioned this she said she kept it for her inconvenience!!!
This woman and her company are SABOTEURS, SEXIST, LIERS AND THIEVES. They should not be allowed to run a hire company if she has no clear regulations of who can hire it. She ruined my birthday plans for me, my daughter the rest of my family and my friends. I am expecting a response to this but I shall not believe her as she clearly is only motivated by making money and not providing a service to the public.

Jun 1, 2016
Clare, how sad that you feel the necessity to write such a vituperative and derogatory review. My response is the same as the email I sent to you on the 10th April 2016 when you were due to take our boat ‘Gloria’ out on hire, and I publish a copy here:

Email starts:
Hello Clare
I really regret that the boat hire didn't work out today. In nearly 4 years of operating Star Narrowboat Holidays only around 3 hires have not worked out and in those cases the hirers have agreed that they didn't feel safe nor in control of the boat and they and I have agreed to take the boat back to the marina and have a static hire for the reduced static hire rate.

I know you were really disappointed that I took the decision not to let you take the boat out on your own and of course I regret that. As I said to you today I assessed that you did not have had enough control of the boat, this meant yours and Tilly's safety would have been compromised, the safety of other canal users would have also been compromised and the boat may have incurred damage beyond the normal 'knocks and bruises' it normally gets. Whilst you had left a £250 security deposit and were liable for the first £300 of any insurance claim (in the event of damage) as per Terms and Conditions, I was still not prepared to let you go off on your own - for simply those reasons that I mentioned above.

When you originally made the booking for your hire of 'Gloria' your party was going to be you, your friend and your daughter, then nearer the hire start date you said the hire would just be for you and your daughter, had I known that your daughter was 7 years old, and knowing that you were a complete beginner at narrowboating I would have suggested that you either need another responsible person on board with you or I would have not taken the hire, simply because I know yours and other people's safety would have been at risk as well as possible damage to the boat.

Today has been a disappointing day for you and for me, however I keep a positive attitude about my hirers and I always do all I can to make the boat hires run as successfully as possible.

As a goodwill gesture I have refunded 75% of the hire fee, keeping 25% to go towards covering my costs, in this instance and per my Terms and Conditions I am not liable to refund any hire fee, and all deposits are normally non refundable so by making this goodwill gesture I hope you see that I am operating beyond what is expected in this circumstance.

I truly wish you all the best for your birthday celebrations tomorrow.

With best wishes.

Hester
Email ends:
David P
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous Gloria”
Reviewed April 13, 2016 for a stay in April 2016
person found this review helpful

Having cruised in the slightly smaller but very comfortable and beautiful 'Queenie' we decided to give 'Gloria' a try so that we could gain experience in handling a larger craft. What a wonderful boat 'Gloria' really is. As usual Hester went through the hand over process and gave us an excellent and very informative tour of the whole interior and exterior. She gave us full and comprehensive, but easy to understand, instructions on boat handling and safety. Please, no matter how many times you have cruised or how experienced you are, listen to Hester. Every boat has its own little differences and the hand over time is when you will be told everything you will need to know.
The open cruiser stern deck is comfortable for two people to be able to stand (although madam did relax in a chair!) to enjoy the scenery passing slowly by. The controls are simple, easy to reach and very responsive. The engine is a lot quieter than I expected.
The interior is every bit as good as in 'Queenie' but with the added bonus of more storage and floor space. Between the saloon and bathroom there are several large wardrobes and shelved cupboards.
The galley is at the rear and is handy for the non-driver to make brews and snacks which can then be taken directly on to the deck. It is well equipped and set out with an efficient four ring hob, grill and oven. The fridge is a good size and there is room for storage of dry goods in the cupboards. A good and well thought out selection of utensils, crockery, pots and pans means you can cook a full meal with ease.
The saloon has a very comfy 'L' shaped sofa which converts into a double bed, however, the sofa seat is more than wide enough to fit a single adult wishing to sleep there without needing to set up the whole bed. There is a desk area for those wanting to do any paperwork or for somewhere to place a lap-top. Also in the saloon there is a fold-down free-standing dining table. There is a multi-fuel stove here as well as a radiator.
The bathroom is nicely set up with a quite roomy shower, wash basin and toilet. I have to say that it was immaculately clean and every surface gleamed.
The permanent bedroom, at the front of the boat, has an over-bed shelf with individual spotlights. The bed itself is amazing and the mattress feels as though it's cuddling you to sleep. There is a small wardrobe in this bedroom. There is a radiator to provide heat in the chillier months. A door between this room and the rest of the boat is handy and will provide privacy for those sleeping in each area. A pair of double doors lead directly on to the covered bow area.
The bow area is covered with see through roll up material so you can sit with, in effect, the windows open or closed.
Hester, thank you again for presenting us with a boat that was immaculately clean, well furnished, equipped and set out.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The comfort and overall cleanliness
Liked least: Having to hand the boat back
Families with young children People with pets
Apr 14, 2016
Hi Dave and Francine, thanks so much for your very comprehensive review of Gloria. I'm glad you have had the chance to use both of the boats now and I'm glad too that Gloria didn’t disappoint. Welcome back anytime. Hester
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing