“Great hotel, location not so good...........”

La Marquise Luxury Resort Complex
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
UK
“Great hotel, location not so good...........”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Overall the hotel is beautiful with excellent rooms, superb pools & good service. We booked a junior suite with sharing pool and the suite quality didn't disappoint. There was a large comfortable bed (albeit it was 2 x singles pushed together), settee, TV (5 English channels - all news channels but we weren't there to watch TV) and a really excellent, luxurious bathroom & I think its this (along with the room size) which is the main difference between this & standard rooms. It perhaps wasn't my expectation of a sharing pool - rather than being 6 or 8 rooms around a private pool, it was about 30 rooms (some single story suites & some 2 story standard rooms) group around a large(& lovely) pool that anyone could access. With this in mind, unless you really want the higher spec unit, I don't think it's really worth paying extra paying just for the 'sharing pool'. If you can guarantee a ground floor standard room elsewhere it provides the same experience.

We opted for Half Board which was a new experience and the restaurant food & service was very good. Several different food choices each night & food regularly replenished & always hot although 7 days of buffet food was enough. Breakfast was varied & plentiful. We were there from 29th June to 6th July and on the last 3 days the restaurant got noticeably busier at nights and at odd times it was starting to get a bit difficult manoeuvring around but I guess its peak holiday time and it is fine at other times. Staff were very good throughout.

In previous reviews, not alot has been mentioned about the hotel location so I hope this helps. Like so many new hotels, its not in a great place. It's stated as Kalithea but really its the very start of Faliraki which you can walk into in about 40 minutes. There isn't alot in between except hotels & the odd shop & bar. Kalithea is quite pretty but too far to walk. If you enjoy strolling out and seeing a bit of scenery or nice shops etc, then its probably not the place for you.That said, taxi's are plentiful & the bus service is good with stops right outside the hotel. Both Rhodes Old Town & Lindos are highly recommended. Likewise, if you enjoy beautiful, golden sand beaches, you will be disappointed. The beach is okay but quite scruffy & stony which makes negotiating in & out of the sea a challenge. On the plus side, there there about 30 umbrellas with sun loungers for hotel guests and these are free of charge unlike plenty of beaches. It is suggested that the beach is private for the hotel but in reality anybody can & does access it. It never appears very busy.

If you are hiring a car don't use Budget who are based on site. Maybe because its a 5 star hotel, they think everyone has alot of money. Basic cars start at 52 Euros for a day but if you walk 10 minutes towards Faliraki, Esperides Car Hire are almost half the price.

Overall, a really, really nice hotel and recommended if you don't want to venture out too far.

Room Tip: Request ground floor room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MarkT24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed July 12, 2011

It's a very new hotel, opened this year! So you would expect it to be perfect.. But it isn't! The general common areas are nicely furnished and finished( maybe a bit kitchy), but the room had some extremely surprising flaws: the tiles in the bathroom were not tight put togheter, the air conditioning made a horrible noise when operating at full power( and you need the highest setting for it, as it gets very warm inside the room!, but the worst was the smell ( more like a stench) coming from the bathroom( they have some serious problems with the way they designed the pluming), but , at least it was just during the last day of our stay!
The breakfast and the dinning area are huge, the serving staff is friendly and prompt( untill it gets really crowded, then you have to wait for your order), the food is good, having plenty of dishes to chose from!
They have a beach, 3-4 minutes walking distance, but it isn't only with sand.. It has also some rocks!

We would rate it nevertheless as a 4 stars hotel, not a 5'r!

• Stayed July 2011
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is a truly lovely hotel with great potential, but it is still a work in progress. Here are the good points:

* On arrival, we were upgraded from a luxury room to a junior suite at no cost. This was a wonderful suprise. The room (4056) was absolutely stunning with direct access to a shared pool. It was the best room I've ever stayed in.
*thick bathing tools for the pool, bathrobes, slippers, wine and fruit in the room on arrival
*reasonably priced mini-market - prices are comparable to others outside of the resort
*friendly and helpful staff - particular mention to the lovely girl who checked us into the dining room at night, Salvatore (who remembered that we had a bottle of water with dinner every night), Antonis who was friendly and funny and others too whose names I didn't get
*the main swimming pool - set out in the style of canals in Venice with small wooden bridges. Absolutely stunning at night with colourful underwater lights
*the decor in the main building - sumptious, sparkling and zen-like. Crystal chandeliers everywhere (not naff ones either). Ladies toilet was very impressive.
*the layout of the resort - even though there are a lot of people around you never feel that it is too busy (except at meal times!) and there are quiet areas where you can only hear the cicadas at night
*the Greek night - was the best enterntainment of the week with a live bouzouki band plus dancers who got people up. Nothing raucous but all good natured fun which involved the audience
*lovely little church in the grounds - I think we were told by the general manager that it was built in memory of someone close to the owner who had died. Go inside and you will see how beautiful it is.
*welcome cocktail night - free champagne and lovely canapes
*dinner time food - I thought the selection of starters and individual desserts were great and staff kept the food topped up. But if you like creme brulee get in quick as they disappear!
*mini-golf, table tennis and air hockey
*buggy service to the room with your luggage
*tasteful background music around the pool emanating from small 'rock' speakers
*no problem with sunbeds. You have your own on the terrace/balcony anyway.
*hidden pool in the spa area
*you can order take away food from the Gondola bar at lunchtime to eat in your room if you wish

Things to watch out for...but these aren't major criticisms just little niggles:
*kids club - the programme for under 12s was limited: there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of craft based activities which my 9 year old hates. The kids club was one of the reasons we chose the hotel but in the end we didn't use it.
*the panoramic Luna bar - stunning views but it apparently can't open due to the incessant windy weather!
*the small pool bar in the quiet area of the resort - not yet open
*price of drinks in the restaurant - can be expensive especially if you have children (3.20 euros for a glass of coke)
*TV channels - better selection in other languages and the only English channels are the news based ones. Could have done with an English speaking kids channel.
*the Spa - I thought 60 euros for a massage was a bit steep and I don't think I got the one I asked for. It is separate to the hotel so can't be charged to your room. The spa itself feels a bit sparse and clinical and some aspects weren't operational eg the hammam. And the bit that really annoyed me was the fact they wouldn't let me use the discount voucher given to us in the hotel room, despite the fact the voucher said it was for any treatment. So check upfront you can use the voucher for the treatment you want.
*entertainment - seems to have improved compared to earlier reviews eg Abba tribute, 60s night, latin dancing, african dancing, Greek night, but all took place in a poorly lit area outside of the Crystal Lounge

Other tips:

*book a ground floor room if you want direct access to the pool but be aware if you have young children as they could run straight out into it
*meal times - completely manic during peak times so recommend you go early or late and perhaps sit outside where it feels less claustrophic.
*if you want to eat outside of the resort but nearby there are a couple of tavernas you can walk to within about 10 minutes. Just turn right out of the resort and walk past the Water Park. The Ilios cafe bar had great food, cocktails and friendly staff. You also get a freebie drink or fruit when you pay your bill.
*if you have kids who love McDonald's, there is one in Faliraki about 10 minutes away on the bus.
*the luxury bungalows have their own pools with led lights, but the pools are not really big enough for swimming in and may be a little too deep if you have very young children. If there is a room above you then there is a risk you may be overlooked if you are in the private pool.

Anyway, it is a lovely place and we felt so relaxed within a short space of time. We aim to go back in a couple of years when everything should have matured and all the teething problems will have hopefully been fixed. Just go with an open mind and enjoy.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Dizzyblondegal
GeneralMgr_11, Manager at La Marquise Luxury Resort Complex, responded to this review, July 10, 2011
Dear Guest,

we thank you very much for you kind suggestions. We are trying to solve all these teething problems and we are taking very seriously all comments from our clisnts.As you already saw, we have improved the evening entertainment. About the English channels, the only ones available at the present period are the ones for news. But we already spoke with our cooperator to add one more satelite in order to receive more English programms too. Conerning the area of the shows, because of the wind, we cannot do them on the roof of the main building yet, but we are working on it in cooperation with the hotel architect and we expect a solution in the next weeks.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in our hotel with one promise: to make your stay even more enjoyable and to add you in our repeaters club for the future.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2011

From the moment the coach pulled in the drive (and hearing everyone on it saying wow) we knew this was gonna be good. The room was very spacious, overlooking the gardens and the sea, the staff, from (Captain) Filippos and Mikala in the Crystal lounge, to Nikos the Maitre, Andreas and Yanis in the dining areas everyone couldn't do enough for us. The pools and sunlounger areas were spotlessly clean, and spacious. The Spa Pool area was also very quiet and relaxing. In the evenings there were different entertainers every night, we would definately recommend it (actually we already have) First Choice did us proud! Lastly, we would like to say how helpful and appreciative George the Operations Manager was, he made us feel like Royalty and made this holiday truly one to remember. All being well, we will be back next year!!

Room Tip: We preferred the garden view over the main hotel as it was more private.
2 Thank DaveandSally7
Essex
Reviewed July 8, 2011

My husband and I stayed here because the hotel we were supposed to be staying at in Kefolonia wasn't finished being built (great work there Thomsons...!) We were told that it was an 'upgrade' because we would be all-inclusive.

I will start with the positives because there are some:
1. the rooms on the ground floor by the pool were fantastically positioned. We were a couple of metres away from the pool and could sunbathe close to our room.
2. the swimming pool was nice and looked great.
3. the food, for an all-inclusive buffet, was okay. There was a choice, however, we were there for 11 nights and it did get very samey.
4. Some bar staff were lovely and if you tipped there was a lad that came round to take orders round the pool side. They also let you take a bottle of wine back to your room if you are all-inc which was nice.

Now the complaints:
1. check-in took 45 minutes and we came away completely confused by what was included in the all-inc package and what wasn't.
2. the receptionists were the rudest / least knowledgeable I have ever come across. There was one lady in particular who would scowl if you dared ask a question, others were friendlier but did not have a clue about even basic questions (for example, we were told by our rep that we could eat in the al a carte once if we were all inc - this drew a complete blank).
3. the all-inc option is so confusing. No-one seems to know what is / is not included. You have to show your card everywhere because no-one seems to believe that you are all-inc. As it turns out, we didn't get to eat in the al a carte resturant, although some all-inc were allowed. All very confusing and it seems to be dependant on who you speak to.
4. Only 1 english tv channel. The hotel is geared up for Germans. I know you don't want to go on holiday to watch tv but the entertainment is next to nothing and the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. We paid for 2 films whilst we were there ($12 each).
5. the entertainment is sporadic and not very entertaining. There is a piano man who is quite nice to listen to but it is the same set 4 niights in a row!
6. Some bar staff were lovely (see above), some were awful. Surly and begrudging. I was made to feel like I kicked a puppy for being all-inc and not ordering one of their over priced premium drinks. Also cocktails weren't all-inc which I think is odd and not something I experienced before.
7. Trying to get drinks when you are eating is like pulling teeth. Everyone is busy and there does not seem to be any system to it. There is one poor waiter doing drinks at lunch and although he is very nice, he can't do it all. On more than one occasion we finished eating before we were even asked about drinks. Other surly waitresses stand about doing very little. No cohesion. One time we came back and someone was sat at our table...again no organisation.
8. The services are not 5* - we had to come back another day to play tennis because they didn't have any balls?!
9. Don't expect to sleep in after 8.30 because the maids pull the beds out to clean so it is always really noisy.
10. Wifi is very patchy and unreliable.

I know, it is all relevant and a 5* hotel in Rhodes, is not the same as a 5* hotel in the Maldives. However, I think it is comparable to Spain and Portugal and this did not compare to the 5* hotels I have stayed in there.

Overall it needs serious work - I wouldn't go again and wouldn't recommend it to friends. Service is the main problem and this is something they def need to work on.

Room Tip: Ask for pool side room.
1 Thank lovelyladyEssex
Dear Guest,

we read your comments very carefully and we would like to point the following:
We are a new hotel and our goal is to reach the highest level of service. I am sure you can understand that it is not so easy to succeed it from the beginning. Sure is, that at the end of the season we will decide which staff can continue working in our hotel and which not. Concerning the confusion with the All-in package, we thought that the agencies informing the clients about it, but since the confusion remains, we already prepared a letter to give to the all inclusive clients upon arrival.
About your comment that you have to show your card everywhere because no-one seems to believe that you are on all incusive basis, allow me to say that is not correct. The reason that you have this card, is because the hotel is not offering all inclusive basis ONLY. We also have clients and on Half board and on Bed and breakfat basis. The waiters need and must know which client has the All-In package in order to avoid wrong charges to his room bill.
Concerning the entertainment program, we have different shows 4 times a week, and the plan is to reach different shows 7 times a week. The piano music is more ambiental and it offers a romantic touch at night.
Now, if the tennis balls were missing from other clients one day, I think is rather excessive to say that this is not a 5*service.
Sure is that we do working on every level to bring the hotel to the position we want to have it. And it will be sooner than expected.
Paris, France
Reviewed July 7, 2011

As usual, I booked this hotel after reading all the positive comments (back in March). I thought it was looking great on the pictures too, plus the fact that it was new convinced me.
Until now I've never been to such kind of "5-star" hotels (though I've been to many).
First of all, I'll speak about its positive points:
- the beautiful swimming pool (though my husband was complaining about that too, as it was 1m05 everywhere)
- a nice pool for kids (my 3-year old enjoyed it and it was safe for her) and a small playground just behind it.

Now to Negative:
- The inexistant word "service"! Apparently if you want your room clean, you have to leave 10 euro at the beginning of your stay! Our floor has never been wiped in a week and the bed linen has never been changed!
- No internet, if you didnt come with your own laptop (in this case you have wifi). There's a teenage room with 4 computers, 3 of them were out of service and we lost 1 euro on various occasions in the fourth one trying to make it work- in vain. The staff proposed a keyboard we could use from the TV, it didnt work either. Apparently they had 5 in all (and that for hundreds of rooms?), 3 of which were always booked and 2 didnt work.
- Ridiculous prices. 5 euro for a glass of bottled juice in the pool bar? It was written "fresh", so they just put in some ice. Is that a joke? And 5.5 euro for a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in the main restaurant.
- Very plain and not varied food. During the first 4 evenings we didnt have fish (are we on a Greek island?), lots of meat in all (I dont eat meat).
I hoped to indulge into fresh fruit, but instead we had some slices of orange and grapefruit in the morning and a bit more (with watermelon and tasteless melon) in the evening.
- The beach was a huuuge disappointment!
Lots of stones, we couldnt enter the water normally. Not even speaking of long seaside walks that you should forget about.

I can continue this list for long, but i'll sum it up all saying I Dont advise anyone looking for a luxurious and 5-star experience going to La Marquise!
It doesnt deserve more than 3...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank EVGI57
Dear Guest,

we read your comments and we were a little bit confused about some things you mentioned:
1. We do not know if your experience with other hotels in Greece has to do with tipping 10€ the maids in order to clean your room, definitely is not the case with us. It is strange, to have dirty room and unchanged bed linen for 7 or 10 days and not complain at all to anyone.
2. The hotel offers wirelles connection (if you bring you own laptop) for free. If not, with a charge of 7€ per day, you can have wireless keyboard from the Reception and work on Internet through the TV set.
3. Our buffet has every day different kind of fish. Not only that, every Tuesday we have Greek night, every Friday Mediterranean night and every Sunday Asian night.
4.About the beach, it is pebble, not only stones. And we do not want to touch the environment and nature of the sea. Just for your information, compare to other side of the island, we have one of the best beaches and sea (without waves) of the whole island.
Finally, I believe that your comments were based on some incidents you had either during your stay or before even coming to the hotel which we do not know, that maybe influenced your judgement about us. Sorry, we are not like that. Not perfect yet, but not 3 stars as you believe.
We keep the fact that you enjoyed our swimming pool (although your husband was complaining about that too!!!), and the children's pool and playground and wish you all the best.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2011

Beautiful resort and had the most relaxing of times. My wife and I spent a week at the end of June and were very impressed by what we saw. The accomodation is excellent with rooms around a number of small pools dotted around the complex. Our room was on the ground floor which we would recommend, with direct access to a small private patio area onto the pool.
The philosophy of the resort is first class but there are a couple of teething problems due to the newness of the complex which I'm sure will get ironed out with experience. Some of the meal times were chaotic, the underpass to the beach area could be improved, there is no ATM,
We still had a great holiday though and would recommend it.

Room Tip: ground floor in quieter pool area away from pool bar/restaurant
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Elysium Resort & Spa
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
#13 of 126 in Rhodes Town

Been to La Marquise Luxury Resort Complex? Share your experiences!