“Good Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Kallithea
Burnley
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We went on a family holiday with the children and both sets of in laws in August. The hotel reception area was lovely so we had high hopes. We were shown to three rooms not all next to each other but close. The rooms we massive with a fabulous balcony overlooking the garden which we took advantage of in the evening for a couple of drinks snd a large jacuzzi bath. The bars are good although a little under staffed, bella vista was great and the female bartender super, there was always space available to sit and enjoy the view of the sea, and the welcome breeze. The settees were great. There was always room by the pool on the sunbeds if your up reasonably early, the sunbeds were padded with a drinks holder, nice touch. Now for the cons, the entertainment was the worst I have ever experienced in an all inclusive resort, it was non existent with the occassional karaoke or awful disco with no modern music, dreadful. It was my birthday and we ended up going out rather than listen to it. There are no daily activities either darts was a movable board, the gym machines were broken and there was nothing much for the kids (4 and 13) to do. The pool table is slanted. Overall some good and bad points but still a lovely holiday on a lovely island, with Rhodes a short bus ride away.

6 Thank Joanne M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed September 5, 2013

the photographs online do this fantastic hotel a lot of justice but you really must be there in person to appreciate fully how beautiful it is in its location as well as the surrounding area.
from the initial contact with the general manager Vasillas, to the restaurant and bar staff, everyone one was so accommodating and hard working. Manolis was always present ensuring everything ran smoothly, Nikos and Mikalis worked constantly from start to finish of their shift and Carolos was one of the hardest workers I have ever met dealing with customers on his own non stop. Everyone of the staff members are tribute to how impressive the Kresten Royal is in true life. I will certainly return because of how well my wife and I were treated throughout our wedding out in Rhodes and the sheer luxury of the rooms, the pools and the food. The ground staff keep this hotel in such high standards and well deserved 5 stars. The reception staff greet well and Ilias set the standard from the start. Magda and Nina in the bottom bar were always smiling as well as the rest of the team. Manolis really knew what he was doing and this showed in the guys around him.

4 Thank alastair_boyd
Cheshire
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My first comment in this review is about Jet 2 Holidays and for information only. They state that this hotel is half an hour away from the airport and this may be the case for private transfers, however we used the shuttle service and sat on a coach for an hour and ten minutes as we were the last drop off.
On arrival at the hotel we were the only ones checking in and we were greeted with sparkling wine and then taken to our room by buggy. Our room was a Royal Villa (703) and when we walked in I was slightly disappointed. The room had two rooms and two bathrooms. In the main living area there was a made up bed which I feel ruined the look of the room especially as there was only two of us. Then I noticed a rug that looked like it needed a good vacuum and there was a random dressing gown belt on the settee. Was the room spotlessly clean, I would have to say no and I think this is why I was disappointed especially for a 5 star hotel. There were cobwebs and bits of dirt in the corners which I did not expect. The plugs in the sink and bath were broken and there was a big chip in the coffee table and the patio door window was cracked.
We did have a lovely sea view and lovely patio area with 2 sunbeds but the depth of the pool needs mentioning. I am only 5 foot and not a confident swimmer but I like to get in the pool but this pool was far too deep for me and so I never used it once which defeated the object of having this type of room. We went to Kos last year and had our own pool and I naively believed this one would be ok so I think it is worth mentioning especially if you are booking this type of room. My husband however loved it. Therefore for information the pool was 1.60 metres deep with no shallow area. On a positive note we never struggled for a sunbed at the main pool and this was always the case even at different times of the day, and the pool there was fab.
Now for what we thought about the food. We had no problem finding a seat in any of the restaurants and the service was always good as you are served your drinks (apart from the one near the pool). I am a fussy eater and expect to struggle but my husband will eat anything and for the first few days the food was terrible. It was terrible in choice and quality and even the husband complained which was worrying. It did however have its ups and downs with some days good, some bad, the only consistent thing was that the food was either luke warm or cold and it did not matter what time you ate. The only other thing I did not like and I am unsure what the hotel could do is the flies in the restaurant. The salad and fruit usually had a fly or two buzzing around and this put me right off.
It is a different matter in the two restaurants that you have to book for, the Italian and the Greek. Going to eat here actually felt that you were dining in a quality hotel (still not 5 star) as it was waiter service, freshly cooked and hot. We can’t comment about the entertainment as we only saw one bit which was fine. The service at the bars always seemed ok with some queuing but I have been to worse. The staff all worked hard and were pleasant apart from one time we sat on a table made up for four people and the waiter was not happy with us which was very off putting.
This hotel is not 5 stars and the really big negative for me was the cats and dogs. I don’t want to go on holiday to see half starved animals. The hotel and the holiday companies have certain responsibilities and I just hope other holiday makers continued to feed the cats and especially the skinny dog like we did when we were there. I know I have said some negative things however we did still have a good holiday and for us as usual the good points outweighed the bad.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lfcfanCheshire
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Just got back yesterday from a weeks holiday at Kresten Royal and we don't have a bad word to say about the stay atall! Despite there being bad reviews on here about people moaning about it not being a 5star, the food etc, personally we couldn't fault it.
The food varied every night, from meats, lovely salads, themed nights like Chinese and of course the 2 a la carte restaurants that you can use whilst your staying there. We went to both, the Greek and the Italian and loved every course in both!!
We tended to drink in the bar above the restaurant as it had a buzzing atmosphere and you could sit outside and watch the sunset! Christos was constantly on the go making sure everyone was happy and a few times we seen him happily changing people's drinks if they didn't like them. Have to sing his praises as he looked after us so well. Vuola and Armando were also great there too!
The rooms were huge and the balcony was a decent size too!
Alot of people said there wasn't much to do round about the hotel but we walked 5 mins down the beach and there were restaurants etc then 5 mins in a taxi was the Kallithea springs (beautiful)!! We ventured into Rhodes which was €9 in a taxi from the top of the road at the Kresten Palace and the same price going the other way to the Water Park which was also a good day out!
We went to Turkey for the day which was good to say we seen it, the boat ride took 50mins and was very choppy!
The hotel itself was amazing, staff couldn't be more helpful, cleaners constantly cleaning, pools absolutley spotless everything about it just great! Few shops in it too for last minute gifts! So good were looking to go back next year for longer!!! X

1 Thank Nicola H
Tunbridge Wells Kent
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My wife and two daughters aged 11 & 14 stayed for 10 days from the 5th Aug. Overall my hotel experience was nice enough based on many other all inclusive hotels we have stayed in over the past 7-8 years. The check in was speedy and efficient. Rather then receiving a junior suite for 2 adults and 2 children we were upgraded to a much larger suite situated in a block of six to the right of the resort facing the sea with the lower suites having there own private pools. The food overall was nice and reasonably varied albeit at times could have been labelled a little clearer. Our rooms and the resort itself were clean and what you would expect for an advertised 5 star resort. The lower pool bar/restaurant was served brilliantly by Nina and Magda and the bar above the main restaurant was managed well by Christos and Viola, infact all waiting and serving staff that I came into contact with work extremely hard and tried hard to please. To me to make this more in line with an advertised 5 star hotel a few things need to improve/happen.
* Lobby Bar waiting times way too long at peak times - pre and post dinner
* Bar over main restaurant, again at times way too long even despite Christos' best efforts
* Not enough seating in the outside area for the so called entertainment
* Very lack lustre evening entertainment program - nobody expects a West End show but at times it was truly cringe worthy especially as there isn't too much to walk to in the near vicinity of the hotel
To a large degree if these points were addressed then this would help take this hotel a step closer to its advertised rating.
As a state above a nice enough experience.

Room Tip: Get in the bar staffs good books to help with the drinks wait!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank carey17
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed at this hotel, along with my family at the August 2013. I had an absolutely fabulous time! All of the staff were lovely, and they always helped my son and I whenever we needed an assistance. We found the hotel to be modern, clean and relaxing. The restaurant and pool bar are great. Excellent staff. Always smiling and willing to help. I want to mention especially Emmanouil that made us feel like we were at home there. He is welcoming, friendly and efficient. We had an excellent time - and will seriously consider returning)))

3 Thank Marishamarisha
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I came to the Kresten royal with an open mind and i have to say the experience was a little disappointing. I highly recommend reading all reviews before you chose as I was very narrow minded and only read the excellent reviews.

I will give it a chance and say the hotel looks lovely the food is nice and the bathrooms are lovely!

On arrival the place looks stunning! You enter the lobby and think, wow! Really looks fab! But as you look past it's lovely exterior it soon becomes more like a 3* which is a real shame as we spent a long time choosing the place.

Breakfast is advertised as open at 6.30 am. As we arrived pretty late I was awake very early and was looking forward to a good buffet breakfast. I arrived at the restaurant at 6.40 and there was no one in sight, all the lights are turned out and there are no staff. I surely must have gone to the wrong restaurant. I wonder around in the dark and empty corridors and find no member of staff to ask. At 6.50 I hear the clanging of plates. Fantastic the buffet is open. Well half of it was. There was no hot breakfast until after 7. Which on my first day wasn't a problem as I went for a second helping after 8. But this seemed to continue all week. I just learnt to sleep in and wait until at least 7.10am

Just after 9am I asked for a bottle of water from the restaurant they said that bottles of water were only given out outside for pool use. As none of the bars are open at this time I asked at reception where I could get a bottle of water from. She said the main restaurant. It kind of have me the impression that staff communication was an issue. For 5 star, I should have been given easy access to something as nessesary as water.

If your a sunbather and want to be by the pool get a sun bed before 9am, after then you don't have a prayer of getting one until at least after 4pm. I hate the fact people put towels in beds to reserve them but we learnt that if you can't beat them you had to join them otherwise you wouldn't get one.

Timing is a SERIOUS issue at this hotel. It is advertised that the bar is open at 10am, there isn't even a member of staff at the bar until at least 10.10am and are not ready to serve until at least 10.30am. If they state the bars open at 10.30am this wouldn't be an issue. This is the same with the lower pool side restaurant. It is advertised as open at 12pm so at 12.10pm we stroll up and grab a plate. To which a very rude chef shouts "5 more mintues!!" We sit back in our seat and wait for the food to be ready. At 12.20 the chef walks around the other side of the counter and helps himself to a plate of food, and you call that 5* standard?! You wouldnt even see this service in macdonalds let alone a 5* hotel! It was 12.25 by the time we were allowed to help ourselves. As we sit down in the lower poolside restaurant the music is blaring, we came to relax not listen to chav dance music (which is not censored, too many f***s, s***ts and b**chs for my liking) it felt like i was in a cast off hotel in falaraki.

There are plenty of drinks to go around but not enough staff. You see the waiters get frustrated at the number of guests and they are obviously worked off their feet. The cocktails are far too strong and taste more like a watered down slushy with a dosing of vodka. Some people might like that but I felt bad for leaving most of mine as they are deamed undrinkable.

It does feel like the place ran out of money. The decor is very plain and the corridors are dark and not lit. It feels unfinished. The small things have been completely over looked. Three of us were booked into a superior room and were only given 1 mug and two wine glasses and bottles of water were not replaced.

I appreciate people have had a lovely time here but they obviously have never experienced 5* hotels and service. The only saving grace with the place was the fact the weather was beautiful! I was really hoping I didn't have to write such a bad review but I needed to be honest and give travellers an understanding of what they were truly paying for. And unfortunately the place DOES NOT CONE CHEAP!

2 Thank Sh_global
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kallithea
Elysium Resort & Spa
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
Sheraton Rhodes Resort
#13 of 126 in Rhodes Town
Eden Roc Resort Hotel & Bungalows

Been to The Kresten Royal Villas & Spa? Share your experiences!