“Traditionally maintained”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Salatiga
Surabaya, Indonesia
“Traditionally maintained”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Being in a little town, this hotel gives more than my expectation. the building is rather old, so some of the mebel and door lock look obsolete. But the ambience is so great, relaxful. Too bad, the spa closes rather early in the evening and start a bit late in the morning so I don't have the chance to try it. Also the pool is too close to the hall/meeting room so it's not much of a privacy. But overall, I enjoyed our stay, staffs were friendly and helpful. A good stop point to visit Magelang (Borobudur) if you prefer nice and quiet town instead of busy Yogyakarta.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Licu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

First time I entering the gate, I met the security who greeted me well-mannered and shown me where should I get the parking area. They were sincerely helped me out, even I just use motorbike, there were no difference treatment as the others use luxurious cars.

Then I felt the resort atmosphere at the first step I walked into their lobby; sophisticatedly traditional and the air was soooo fresh with homey ambiance, cause of Joglo wooden lobby concept. Again, the staffs were so warm & helpful. I asked for the best 'Wedhang Ronde' at Salatiga and they gave me a map for it, plus, they took care of me by asking whether I need their shuttle service or not. Oh ya, they even remember your name and would greeted you by name, once you stop by the at the receptionist for check in till you check out. Nice personal touch & smiles..

I got 10 minutes neck spa, which was gooooood. The swimming pool was small & unique, built just before a big-deep river ditch, so I could say 'Infinite pool', maybe? The breakfast, ummmm, just so-so if I frankly said.

The room, huge and for a 4 star resort as Laras Asri Salatiga, I would say wow and shocked by its well-equipped room. Comfort bed, blanket and pillows. Complete series of bath amenities as you got at 5-star resort. As I walked around the resort, I found the cottage & the suites are nicely located as in the natural village. I would love to stay there with my family or having honeymoon if I had time to visit. Ya, overall, I truly enjoying my stay at Salatiga and would love to come back here again for my accommodation choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Awang5
Laras A, Front Office Manager at Laras Asri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Mr Awang,

We would like to say thank you very much for your stay with us, and also thank you for the review.
We will keep our consistency to make our guest fell comfort and more enjoy their stay and we will waiting for your next visit to Laras Asri Resort & Spa.

Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times and have found the staff, facilities and atmosphere to be excellent, weather it is for business or pleasure your stay would be enjoyable. There are lots to do, the hotel has a spa, gym, tennis court and 2 pools. Food was always excellent weather it was breakfast . lunch or dinner. It is a short stay outside of town but is easily reached at no great cost.
Staff are great and a lot of fun, especially at the bar.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pond area as I found frogs invade the pond area at night and there croc...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Petermac1
Laras A, Front Office Manager at Laras Asri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you all for the comments are very valuable to us.
We will continue to improve our services and provide the best for our beloved guests and we waiting for your visit back at the Laras Asri Resort & Spa.

Nyc
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We booked several rooms as guests of a wedding. However, this is my personal account based on the executive bungalow suite facing pool that i took for 4 days. The property has local charm, and the landscape design has some potential if maintained. However, the room cleanliness, the overall quality of the property is atrocious, beyond sub par for the low to mid 100usd per nite you pay during the season holidays. Me and my husband have travelled to, collectively, over 300 cities in the world, including some remote places like Satun in Thailand, and Boracay in Philippines. By the same token, we have and are frequent patrons of high end hotels such as the Four Seasons in Mexico City, The Marriott in Austria, the Marriott in Singapore, Park Hyatt sydney on the rocks just as we are of mid range business category hotels such as AC Sants Madrid, to numerous chains in the USA ( hamptons, garden inn, fairfield, done it all). In over 300 stays ( by modest count), in all categories of hotels, all over the world, we have to say this property wouldn't deserve a 1 out of 10 had it not been for its staff. I moved to a second room, but the same problem persist; bugs in your towel, centipede in the bathrooms, knats in your bed, flies and crawlies in your toilet. Flies feasting the buffet breakfast spread and staff seemingly oblivious to the need for basic hygiene. Needless to say, cleanliness appears to be a foreign notion in this part of the world, as was at Susan Spa in Semarang. None of the air condition worked. The a/c after repair, spewed out contaminated air molecules so bad i developed a throat infection and developed an allergic rash i never had since the rare days of bunking with friends in backpackers motels 2 decades ago.

The property's saving grace is the wonderful front desk staff, tintin, umumami, and duty manager, Asrif amingst other countless faces i am sad to not recall all their names, who have gone above and beyond, always with a smile. But without proper training, and management support, it appears even the best staff intentions can lead you astray as they are ill- informed or knowledgeable about basic services like dry cleaning. There was tremendous amount of confusion that led to unnecessary frustration when there was a desperate need for dry cleaning service, i was led on a wild goose chase, all that came to nothing, i wish and praise all their staff's graciousness, their ever sparkling smile, their amazingly positive attitudes, and incredible efforts to please their guests despite the various limitations. Wifi in lobby was excellent by most standards, even if somewhat slow, it always works. We r grateful for that. The communal areas are nothing to shout about; be forewarned ventilation is poor everywhere and a/c malfunctions in the coffee lounge just as badly as it does in the rooms. Service for drinks and snack foods can be very sloooow. We order simple hot tea for 10 and coffe for 6 and it took seriously close to an hour to get all the orders served correctly and we were the only people there. This happened in the coffee lounge. We had better experience in the japanese restaurant but same problem; it took forever to get a mango juice served for a party of 16 who mostly drank hot tea, and a handful of juices. Pisang goreng was the best in town; and we tried at least 10 places within a 25 to 30 mile radius but totally overpriced. The property and its food services was entirely overpriced by international standards.

Room Tip: Take a regular superior or deluxe room for half the price of the bungalows even without the extra sp...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LL608
Laras A, General Manager at Laras Asri Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
On Behalf of Management and Staff of Laras Asri Resort & Spa we would like to thank you for your value suggestion and support to our Resort. We will follow up and do improvement all of your comment that I have read.Once again thank you very much for your evaluation in order to make our. resort better and may God Bless you.

Best regards,

I Wayan Ruspendi Junaedi
Jakarta
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Pros:
1. Beautifully landscaped and well-maintained tropical lush garden
2. Gorgeous room overlooking a fishpond and all facilities worked fine
3. Warm and quiet atmosphere
4. Delicious taste of food when breakfast and many variety
5. Big swimming pool
6. All staffs were very friendly and helpful

Cons:
We found nothing so far

Conclusion:
We will definitely come back again if we come to Salatiga

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank prastinho
jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it was a wonderful experience. The check in was smooth and fast, and we were taken to our room in no time. We stayed in one of the 2nd floor superior rooms facing the fish pond. The room was clean and comfortable, the bed was comfy, the air con was super quite and all the facilities were working well. We sure had some of the best sleeps in years.
The staff were friendly and would go the extra mile to provide comfort to our stay. On one of the days we needed to leave the hotel early and asked for early breakfast. They prepared 2 boxes of breakfast packed with different varieties of food, which are amazing! We left the hotel that morning with enough energy to get us going for the whole day. They will also gladly wash your vehicles if you bring your own car.
We were able to enjoy the big pool everyday, although the water was freezing, but it was so refreshing. The hotel's location is not exactly at the down town area, but getting there was not a problem at all. You can easily walk since it's not very far or if you want a different experience, you can try the horse buggy.
Overall, it is simply the best hotel in Salatiga.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ysak78
Kuala Kencana, Papua, Indonesia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I like this hotel, my kids definitely like it too. We definitely come back to this one again when we visit Salatiga.

1. The room is on the small side, but it is still comfortable to me with my 2 kids. The room we have is twin beds. It is really 'twin size' beds, not full like you expect elsewhere. Lots of decoration so I have to watch my kids.
2. Pools - there are 2 pools in the hotel. The one in the back has waterfall, and is definitely for kids. My kids love it there. The whole pool is below waist. The pool in the front is bigger.
3. Staffs - very friendly and courteous.
4 Dining room - enough size, with great selection for breakfast.
5 Location - quiet, somewhat out of the city. There are not that many decent hotels in Salatiga. This one has the best location.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Wilibona
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salatiga
Agrowisata Salatiga Eco Park Hotel, Convention & Camping Ground
Oak Tree Emerald Semarang Hotel
Kayu Arum Resort
Kayu Arum Resort
#1 of 6 in Salatiga

Been to Laras Asri Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!