“Absolutely wonderful”

Berber Travel Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Amizmiz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors experience firsthand the beauty and hospitality of Moroccan Berber culture by meeting and interacting with those living in the many small mountainous villages surrounding Amizmiz, a town about an hour from Marrakech. Activities include visiting Berber villages and homes, helping prepare traditional Berber meals, and learning about the daily life of Morocco's native people. This cultural attraction gives visitors a real-life encounter with the rural Berber life of the High Atlas Mountains.
Reviewed October 31, 2013

We booked a three-day trek, the highlight being Mount Toubkal. The hike was challenging but very rewarding, and we had a very pleasant experience of the Berber life. Our guides, Jamal and Nouredine, were extremely friendly, helpful and professional... they were amazing.

I highly recommend Berber Travel Adventures if you want to experience a genuine cultural trip led by dedicated tour guides.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We cannot say enough good things about our experience. We did the weekly market tour, which included a tour of the weekly Berber market in Amizmiz followed by a relatively easy hike (1.5 hours, hot but not strenuous otherwise), lunch at the home of a Berber family (delicious food with a great view!), and then a hike back. Our guide (born and raised in the mountains) was amazing. Not only was his English perfect but his photography skills were basically professional - the photos he gladly took of us throughout the trip were the best we got of ourselves during our entire 2 week honeymoon. He was also extremely prepared - I was sniffly, he whipped out tissues, we didn't bring enough water, he had extra at the ready, I stupidly forgot a hat, he tied my scarf around my head expertly to provide me shade.

1  Thank admiralwilde
Reviewed August 23, 2013

For our hike we chose the moderate walking itinerary, which included about 3-4 hours of hiking with two stops for tea and food with different families. The hike itself was not too difficult but the August heat was a little challenging. We were having such a great time though, it kept us going. Jamal was an absolutely wonderful guide, his knowledge about the terrain and his appreciation for Berber life made for interesting conversation and a genuine experience. The families that hosted us were extremely welcoming and kind, and our driver Abdul was right on time for pick up from Marrakech. This adventure was definitely the highlight of our trip, and one of the best of any of our travels ever. I highly recommend Berber Travel Adventures, especially if you are looking for a true cultural experience.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Words are not enough to describe how humbling this trip was. My fiancee and I booked a moderate walking tour in Amizmiz and was amazed by how well the people preserve their culture and at the same time by being hospitable to curious tourists. Language barrier was never a problem, and our guide Nourredine spoke very good english. To top it all off, I had the best chicken tagine served by Mina and her mother in law whilst overlooking the high Atlas mountains.

1  Thank christine p
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to spend a day on this excursion having read good reviews on the internet and after being impressed with the well-presented website. We took the bus and I can safely say the instructions for this on the website are very clear and concise. We met Nouredine our guide in the town of Amizmiz in the morning and he took us on the 14 mile hike through the Atlas Mountains. The route was excellent and Nouredine was extremely informative. Being just the three of us, it was very personal and we got to know him and a lot about the Berber way of life over the course of the day. His English was good and we stopped of twice, once for mint tea and bread and again for lunch at another Berber house. Lunch was a fantastic tagine with bread, salad and melon for desert. The family who cooked this for us didn’t speak any English but were extremely hospitable and catered for our vegetarian needs superbly. This tour is very reasonably priced and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to escape the madness of Marrakech for a day and see the beautiful Atlas Mountains.

2  Thank andrew p