“A wonderful experience.”

Berber Travel Adventures
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Amizmiz
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visitors experience firsthand the beauty and hospitality of Moroccan Berber culture by meeting and interacting with those living in the many small mountainous villages surrounding Amizmiz, a town about an hour from Marrakech. Activities include visiting Berber villages and homes, helping prepare traditional Berber meals, and learning about the daily life of Morocco's native people. This cultural attraction gives visitors a real-life encounter with the rural Berber life of the High Atlas Mountains.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

A big thank you to Naurddine especially for taking on such a special trek through the Berber hills above Amizmiz. We had a wonderful day. The scenery was amazing. Great to be able to see the real life of the charming Berber people. Highly recommend. Only an hours drive from Marrakech. A million miles from the noise and chaos of this vibrant city.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I arranged this after seeing the good reviews. The detailed explainations on the website helped us choose our trip- the moderate walking trek.
When I emailed they sent further details of what to wear and take and exactly what we would be doing on the day as well as a link for how to get toAmizmiz from Marrakech. They had an option to let them arrange our taxi a fixed price which we went for to save getting ripped off by the taxi drivers in Marrakech which often happens.
The price of the trip was the average for trips that include lunch. They also let us know that our guide wouldn't take us to random shops for commission unlike other tour companies. Our friendly guide was Nouruddeen who took us at our own pace, stopping for photos and even picked fresh almonds from a tree for us.
He took us to a Berber village for fresh mint tea and bread with olive oil and honey and later to one for a huge lunch. There was a delicious tomato salad and best chicken and veg tagine we had while in Morocco and loads of fresh bread. Our guide informed us that our trip money also goes towards paying these villagers for their hospitality so it's good to know this tour company helps their community in this way.
It was a nice but tiring walk and the views were beautiful and the people really friendly. It was a welcome break from the chaos of Marrakech. All four of us enjoyed our amazing adventure that day. I think it was well worth the money and the highlight of our holiday.

1  Thank skytrains
Reviewed August 1, 2012

In 2011 I also experienced the hospitality and knowledge of the Berber villagers outside of Azzimiz and Jamal, the tour leader, whose English is excellent. It was just me and Jamal, plus he arranged for a friend with a donkey just in case I couldnt make the whole journey on foot. I managed well but it was on a dirt road and uphill on the way to the village for lunch. All in all it was a walk not for the faint hearted - but so much easier on the way back. About 17km round trip. Before our walk and meeting the local family in their small village for lunch, it was Tuesday (Market day) in Azzimiz. It was the knowledge and friendliness of Jamal and his acquaintances in the market that made the day. He also bought fresh herbs for immersion in the mint tea we had in a tea house with dirt floor (and mainly men). I loved my day and can recommend these tours.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I absolutely loved the Amizmiz market day and Berber village lunch that we did with Berber Travel Adventures. The sights and sounds of the market were something we could never have experienced on our own. Because we were with Jamal or one of his crew members, the local people were friendly and even permitted photographs to be taken of them. We enjoyed the walk to the Berber village, my husband on a donkey and me walking. And the meal at the house was better by far than any fancy restaurant we went to in Marrakech. It will remain one of the most enjoyable travel days we have ever experienced.

3  Thank hanalei2014
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Jamal is a funny, true local and extremely experienced guide. Going and living among the berbers in their villages really gives a glimpse into their world, and takes you right into the heart of their unique culture, warm hospitality, and beautiful villages and landscape. If when traveling and holidaying, you like to meet beautiful and interesting people that you will remember for the rest of your life, then Berber Travel Adventures is for you.

1  Thank JordanDG