Prior to booking Gwel an Mor we had booked Retallack Resort as they stated they were 'dog friendly' however once we had booked there we discovered that Retallack discriminated against breeds of dog which aren't actually banned in the UK! We then started to wonder if all Cornwall resorts were doggy discriminatory towards our lovely friendly Rottie however we were thrilled to find Gwel an Mor would happily allow our four legged friend regardless of his 'breed' :)
We managed to grab a last minute deal for end of Aug midweek in VIP dog friendly lodge with hot tub for £700 4 nights which for school summer peak season we thought was a bargain! The lodge was spotless & included a very much appreciated bottle of Chenin Blanc in the fridge!! Needless to say we enjoyed a glass on our balcony gazing out over the sea views while our doggie enjoyed surveying the sights & sounds of nature on the doorstep (pics of our balcony view attached). The hot tub was a delightful added bonus after exploring the local coastal & forest walks which were literally on the doorstep - doggy heaven!! (Also buggy heaven as the footpaths to the local forest were flat & gravelled)
We also brought our high functioning autistic son with us who is 4 years old, he really loved the upside down house and we had no fear of him falling down the stairs thanks to the very sturdy stair gate installed at the top of the stairs. We had no issue with the open plan kitchen however I did wonder about child proofing for parents with younger children or children who have a fascination with opening/closing doors, pressing buttons on appliances etc? The Terrace restaurant on site were extremely accommodating for our son too, allowing us to sit at the 'undesirable' table by the kitchen door & the bar which was situated away from the other tables allowing us peace of mind that our son wouldn't disturb the other diners too much if he was noisy. They also had mini decks of cards on the tables which entertained our son for ages lining up the cards, it was one of the most relaxing & quiet meals out we have had in a long time! (Pic attached) We must also mention the absolutely amazing on site Feadon Farm Wildlife Farm & the wonderful Gary Zammit!! Our son was absolutely fascinated by everything & Gary was extremely patient even when our son insisted on asking which was the 'naughty' one each time he saw a new animal lol! Our son is still talking about it now, think that speaks volumes for how good it is (pics attached). Our son also enjoyed the on site pool however we did feel that this area could be improved with the addition of a slide(s) and toddler splashzone to entertain kids? Maybe the pitch & putt area could be made into crazy golf too?
In summary, we absolutely loved the location, the lodges, the facilities and the peace & quiet of the resort and are looking forward to returning with our new Bulldog puppy next year as we have since discovered that Gwel an Mor allow 2 doggies in the accommodation! One very happy family, thank you Gwel an Mor!! :D
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gwel an Mor is Cornish for "View of the Sea." We are a 5 Star luxury self catering holiday resort which sits high on hills above the Atlantic Ocean in Cornwall.Our grand Scandinavian style holiday lodges blend beautifully into landscaped gardens and the surrounding countryside. Truly inviting with a relaxed but luxury style, the two and three bedroom lodges have everything you may need – down to the hot tub on your private terrace and log burner in the living area. Alongside the traditional wooden lodges, we also offer the contemporary style of the Residence. Launched in 2012, these exclusive eco lodges provide the ultimate in high-end holiday accommodation, complete with underfloor heating, mood lighting, DVD and music players and WiFi. You'll even find a plasma TV in the bathroom. Our Clubhouse boasts a fully equipped gym, indoor pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna while outside there is a children’s play area, tennis courts and a putting and croquet lawn.For more grown-up indulgences, The Wellbeing Spa offers an extensive menu of pampering facial, body and cosmetic treatments designed to relax, revitalise and rejuvenate you using marine inspired products. With a great reputation amongst visitors and locals, the Terrace Restaurant at Gwel an Mor is an informal bistro style venue with a locally sourced, innovative menu. With an emphasis on using the best seasonal ingredients the Southwest has to offer, the Terrace even offers a take away service so you can indulge in the comfort of your lodge. One of the truly unique aspects to a stay with us is the chance to meet some of the local wildlife. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LateRooms so you can book your Gwel an Mor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gwel An Mor 5 Star Holiday Hotel Portreath
- Gwel An Mor Portreath, Cornwall