“Faultless luxury in a stylish piece of heaven”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portreath
The Copper House - Portreath
Ranked #1 of 5 Portreath B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Faultless luxury in a stylish piece of heaven”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

I chose the Copper House because of the promise of fine bedding. Anyone who works away a lot knows the value of good bedding.....be in no doubt, the Copper House bedding is fine. The bed is luxurious and sumptuous with a capital S. Linda has achieved a 5 star hotel experience with the level of care that is only available in a B&B-tea and cake on arrival, boutique breakfast delivered to the room with freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly laid eggs poached to perfection served with proscuttio and rocket..... Both the bedroom and bathroom are spotlessly clean, modern in style and finished to the highest of specs....faultless

• Stayed April 2013
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Hi Rebecca. How very kind of you to say such delightful things about The Copper House. Thank you so much! To say we are 'faultless' is a marvellous accolade and we are very happy you think so. I know you are returning here soon, so I will have a nice cup of tea ready for you (lemon) and a wedge of lemon drizzle cake to go with it and I'll tell those hens to keep laying. Many thanks again for making time to write this review and for your kind compliments. Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Lancaster
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We arrived early but this wasn't a problem at all and we were welcomed with a lovely pot of tea and biscuits and great warmth. Our room was fabulous with a lovely terrace overlooking the woods and a marvelous bathroom. There were chocolates in the room, a fridge in the room, bathrobes, mineral water, everything you could need. And then to have breakfast served in the room in the morning meant we didn't have to rush to get dressed and just ate breakfast in our bathrobes - lovely!! We were walking from Lands End so arrival and welcome such as this was exactly what we needed. A brilliant, restorative stay!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hi there,
Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad you liked your room and the view. It is a lovely view and ever-changing. I should think after your walk that day that it was nice just to relax and enjoy your stay and we are very happy you did and that you thought it 'was perfect'. When I hear that, I know we are doing something right and that gives me an enormous amount of pleasure. I just wish it had been warm enough to have your breakfast on the terrace but I'm pleased that you enjoyed it anyway. It is luxurious, I think, to have breakfast in your room and to be able to relax in dressing gowns as you eat it. I'm pleased too that you enjoyed the little extras we supply as standard. It all goes a long way to making a special occasion out of a stay and that is what we want our guests to feel. I do hope we see you again and you were lovely guests.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My husband and I visited The Copper House during the Easter weekend along with our one year old son. Linda was very accommodating during our visit and had thought of every little detail, especially with the little one. We had lovely treats left in the room such as a box of chocolates for us and an Easter egg for our son. Her homemade cake was amazing, we've never experienced such luxury at a B&B before. Her breakfasts were honestly superb and we're real foodies and she made home made croissants especially for our son. I would definitely recommend staying here, true luxury, great food and very friendly service, which we feel is just as important. We'll definitely be back soon. Thank you for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
HI there,
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I really enjoyed having you here and your son was an absolute delight. I wish you could have left him here for an extended holiday! We do not usually cater for children as we don't have the facilities so it was a lovely novelty. I hope he enjoyed his first taste of easter egg !
It's such a shame the weather wasn't better for you when you were here because the beach here is a real family beach and I think he would have enjoyed it. Another time maybe.
Many thanks too for the compliments about my breakfasts and cakes. I do enjoy cooking and baking and I hope my guests benefit from my interests. It was an absolute pleasure to provide the little things I could for your son that would make his stay here more pleasureable (and thus yours too). I'm glad you had an amazing stay and you have nice memories of The Copper House. I do hope we see you here again.
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We spent a fantastic night away at the beautiful Copper House B & B. I loved the attention to detail with all the little extra touches which made for a very luxurious stay, from the delicious home made cake on arrival, to the fluffy soft bath robes hanging behind the door. Loved having our exquisite breakfast served in our room which made for a wonderfully relaxing start to the day. And as for the home made croissants........
A delightful stay in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: ask for the room with the huge bath.....bliss!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi there,
I am very happy that you felt we paid attention to detail. It is part of our ethos that we try to think of everything our guests might ask for - even the very small things that people enjoy (not just need) when they are staying with us. Our thinking is that our guests should feel relaxed, pampered, and tranquil whilst here. If they feel they are having a bit of luxury and leave feeling refreshed, then we are very pleased. Thank you for saying my breakfasts and croissants are exquisite. I love making the breakfasts look as good as (hopefully) they taste. I try to make my own bread, butter, croissants and marmalade and the rocket (for the Copper House Special) is usually from my own organic garden beds. The eggs (most of the time) are from my friendly chickens. Just a little extra effort makes an occasion out of an ordinary meal. And isn't it so much nicer to have it in the comfort of your own room where you can relax in your dressing gowns, chat, read the paper or watch lovefilm on the tv!. Thank you again for taking the time and trouble to write this review and we hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We spent 2 great nights at this B+B, the house and the rooms were stunning with very generous terraces overlooking fantastic countryside - a perfect setting indeed. Linda and her husband were fantastic hosts from the minute we arrived (bringing up freshly made cake and tea to welcome us) and nothing was too much trouble for the whole length of our stay. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious, with eggs from the bottom of the garden and everything baked and made fresh downstairs. I would recommend The Copper House without hesitation!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hello Christopher,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review. It is so nice that you enjoyed our breakfasts and appreciated The Copper House. The views are spectacular here and it is just a shame it wasn't a little warmer so that you could sit outside. At the moment it is beautiful here with gorgeous sunshine and actually warm! I'm glad that you both found the surroundings relaxing and I hope we see you both another time. You were delightful guests. Many thanks for your custom
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Robert Louis Stevenson was misinformed. His travels never took in the Copper House and so the famous line "It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive" is not appropriate here. This isn't just a place to stay, it's a destination.

Before arrival I was intrigued by the few details I could find about the design of the Copper House - especially the architecture, energy management and building ethos. I've worked maintaining "eco" homes and am sceptical about many. I have asked Andy to put more technical details on the Copper House website as the finished house is an inspiration to those considering a similar approach. The Copper House works - and is an exemplar of what can be achieved.

We usually encounter two problems when looking for a suitable B&B: firstly, as vegetarians, we often find a limited and uninspiring menu on offer compared to that offered to meat eaters. We also don't enjoy the communal breakfast in most other B&Bs where guests have to sit together, make awkward conversation, and conform to the proprietor's regime.

At the Copper House, breakfast is brought to your room or - weather permitting - onto the glorious suntrap of a private terrace overlooking woodland and the garden, with chickens in the background. A real luxury!

Linda had prepared an extensive vegetarian breakfast menu from which we chose a variety of hot and cold - traditional English and continental - delights, all scrummy and beautifully presented.

We had room 1 - a spacious suite, creatively designed in a minimal "retro" style with quality furnishings and fittings. There isn't the hand-me-down baggage of mismatched items so often seen in B&B establishments, nor is it auction-house cottage style with tired furniture and faded prints on the wall.

One of us suffers from back problems, but the bed and variety of chairs were very comfortable and supportive.

We are usually hard to please with our requirements and had never found a B&B which ticked all the boxes until now. Linda and Andy were so friendly - they made us feel comfortable and welcome, and their attention to detail was second to none.

We will be back. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Room 1 for the best views, and more space.
1 Thank veg0ut
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
What an absolutely wonderful review. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a considered evaluation. I am so happy that you consider The Copper House a destination rather than just a place to stay. I am very happy with that definition and love your quote. We also very much appreciate that you recognised the hard work and the ethos behind the design and build of the house. Whenever you build something, especially something that is meant to incorporate design as well as Eco values, there are choices that have to be made.i think we made the right choices based on our budget and our values and it's great that you think so too and think it works.
As for breakfast in the rooms, we had the same aversion to most bed & breakfast accommodation enforced sociability. It is also a bit of luxury to be able to eat in your room at a time you choose and everyone deserves that when they go away. I am so glad you appreciated the vegetarian menu and we also have a vegan menu available. I don't think there is anything I haven't catered for yet and it's my pleasure to provide for our guests wants, especially when they are such a delight as you both were. I do hope we see you again soon and I look forward to it
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed March 12, 2013

we stayed for 2 nights in room 2 at the Copper House Portreath after being recommeded by a friend. what a beautifully designed room, i am not sure if Linda and Andy designed the room, or if they employed an interior designer, but the effet was stunning. there is a HUGE terrace attached to the room which I could have sat on all day staring at the woods behind the house ... it would be a lovely place to sit and paint/write if you were so inclined.
On arrival, Linda settled us into our room and then came back 5 mins later with a great big slab of homemade cake and a pot of tea ... all part of the service!! she also left us with a menu choice for our breakfast (which to be honest we were going to skip because I hate eating breakfast in a room with strangers) but the choices were out of this world AND we found out we got our breakfast in our own room!! Perfect! The food was fabulous, I can not fault it at all.
all in all, I don't think I have ever stayed in such a luxurious B&B, and the it was such good value for money as well!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda G, Owner at The Copper House - Portreath, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi there Francis
I hope your journey back to S.A was good and not too tiring. I think the weather there might be a little better than it was when you were here in Cornwall! I am glad you had a wonderful time here and in Cornwall generally. The rooms were designed by ourselves and the terraces were drawn into the original design when we drew the plans. They have turned out better than we could have imagined because the view is so spectacular here and it changes with the seasons. As you said when you were here, it doesn't matter what the weather is like, the view is always stunning. In room 2, where you were, the table looks out onto the terrace and view and I know you loved watching all the wildlife while eating your breakfast. I'm so glad you enjoyed our breakfasts and I think you tried every single one. If ever you return to England, visit us again. You were a really delightful and interesting guest and we would love to see you again. Best wishes Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portreath
Penventon Park Hotel
Penventon Park Hotel
#1 of 2 in Redruth
John Francis Basset Hotel
Tregenna Castle Resort
Premier Inn Camborne Hotel
The Driftwood Spars B & B
Beacon Country House Hotel

Been to The Copper House - Portreath? Share your experiences!