Archiestown Hotel and Bistro
$288
$121
$118
$101
Premier Inn Elgin Hotel(Elgin)(Great Value!)
Orbitz.com
$134
$121
Dowans Hotel(Aberlour)
TripAdvisor
All reviewssitting roomone nighthaggispre dinner drinksfabulous foodwell worth the visitkippersat short noticean ideal placelog firefeel very welcometwo nightswarm welcomemost recent visitmain coursefirst classhome from home
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

This is a very cosy and friendly hotel. Good food and in an excellent location for trawling around the local distilleries.

No hassle and excellent service.

The owners, Alan and Jane, helped us plan and book visits to Macallam, Glenfiddich and Arberlour.

We last stayed here 8 years ago. Hope its not so long before another visit.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

A group of six of us recently had dinner at this hotel. It was wonderful, service very friendly, food was yummy and the open fire was fabulous, especially as it was bitter cold outside and snowing. It was my birthday I got a lovely card from the owners. Loved it all, thank you!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife and I went there on spec for an early evening meal. We have received good reviews from friends. We loved it.

Two really comfy lounges with big arm chairs, soft sofas and old fashioned but tastefull decor. You feel relaxed as soon as you go in. Just sit bythe open fire and take it in. We were given tapanade and crisp bread to have with our drinks. There was no rushing, just helpful and attentive staff. They have both a specials menu with two or three choices for each course as well as larger (but not huge which is good) menu. You can have any combination from either menu.

I had two courses plus coffee and my wife had one course. My rabbit and venison terine was fabulous. Good sized portion; just the right size, with homemade oat cakes and a lovely homemade chutney. It is the little things like the chutney that made is so good. There was plenty of fresh bread on the table to tuck in to.

I don't often have a steak as so often it is not that good. However, I had one. I like mine blue which is often difficult to get. Wow!!! The chef got it bang on. Hot and and really well cooked, with a lovely sauce and veg that still had the crispness that is how they should be. My wife had cod with a herb crust served with a sauce with prawns and a special mash. Again, this was spot on.The service thoughout the meal was good; attentive, chatty but also reserved, not pushy. As we were driving we did not have much alcohol (I had one glass of hous red) but the wine list looked looked good, and all reasonably priced.

Coffee was served in the lounge by the fire.

The one thing that was strange, was the decor in the dinning room. Very different from the lounges. A throw back to the 1970's; a bit of a contrast!! This did not detract from a lovely meal.

If the quality of the rooms is the same as the food and the lounges then this would be a lovely place to stay.

We will defintaly go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We visited this hotel for dinner for a family members birthday one saturday evening in september 2012, and thankfully this was our fourth visit and not our firist, as if it had been we would not return.
On previous evenings we were warmly welcomed by the owner and made to feel extremely at home in what is a beautifull hotel, never rushed, and allowed to relax and enjoy a wonderfull meal in the restaurant and then drinks by the open fire in the lounge.....wonderfull!
On our most recent visit the owners were not present, perhaps having a well deserved evening off, and boy did it show. There was a totally different atmosphere, gone was the feeling you were a welcome and valued customer.
The food was excellent as usual, but spoiled by the waitress serving the food and clearing plates in silence,with a scowl that never left her face the whole night.
At the end of our meal we asked for cheese/biscuits, and coffee in the lounge, which on previous occasions was a delightfull way to end the evening in relaxing surroundings.
Even though it was only around 9.30pm, we were the last customers left, and I imagine it was due to this the two staff members did not seem to want us to get too comfortable and scupper their chance of an ealry night, or at least that is excactly how it felt when the lady who took our order for coffee, and agreed to our request to move to the lounge appeared at our table with the coffee and even after my wife remarked she thought we were moving next door, stood in silence almost waiting for someone else to say that we would just have it at our table. As it was clear the waitress was not going to break the silence by offering to take the coffee and snacks to the lounge, I said we would just have them where we were. At that the waitress perked up and set down the food and left us too it. During the coffee and biscuits they then started cleaning and setting all the tables around us, and as it is a small restaurant with only 7 or 8 tables this only added to our feeling we were keeping them up!
As I stated at the start, we will return to this excellent restaurant, but only if we can find out the boss is around, as the staff do not make the effort when they are away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank PepesPals
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed being pampered from the moment we entered the hotel until the moment we left. We had reserved a table in the restaurant for an evening meal on a Thursday evening and we were both surprised and impressed that virtually all the tables had been booked. Directly we entered the hotel we were greeted, made to feel at home and taken to the extremely comfortable lounge complete with cosy fire. There we could leisurely browse the extensive menu over a drink and canapes. The restaurant or dining room was very comfortable and we did justice to a 3-course meal which was no less than excellent. We had mussels as a starter (never tasted better) followed by mouth-watering venison (best cut). And the desserts....I think I'm running out of superlatives. The chef is certainly both talented and skilled. Our biggest regret is not finding this hotel sooner! We will be back!

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family