“it might be popular, but it is not for me”
Review of Bartellas

Bartellas
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Meopham
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A privately owned 175 seat restaurant with cocktail lounge and bar serving Mediterranean inspired food, Bartellas is a favourite of the charming village of Meopham. Elegantly appointed in wood and sisal, clean lines and contemporary furnishings, Bartellas offers comfortable and attractive surroundings plus excellent continental service including those little touches of linen napkins, predominately round tables, complimentary still and sparkling water and bread. The recent orangery extension and private dining salon upstairs for a maximum of 24 at one table ensures that whatever the occasion, Bartellas can cater for your dining and party needs. A regular changing a la carte menu, a Sunday menu with all the traditional roasts and the prix-fixe menu available Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and early evenings Monday to Friday offer great value for money- ��10.55 for one course including a 175ml glass of wine, small beer or soft drink.
Dartford, United Kingdom
“it might be popular, but it is not for me”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

In my opinion this restaurant is trying too hard to attract customers who are after fine dining as well as exotic dishes. I admit that this a tricky combination to master.
In their attempt to achieve this, they created a menu which is too long, with London prices! The wine list is predictable, and therefore, will please most customers. Service is very good, and so is presentation. The sourcing and the cooking of the food, unfortunately was not. I too, found the gambas pil pil exceedingly oily, with overcooked clearly pre-frozen prawns.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank SOLI1977
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Genuinely sorry that you "don't get us". For the last 11 years we've successfully catered to a broad church, hence the wide ranging menu including pizza and pasta that has never aspired to fine food and exotic dishes as you allege. We're a third of the prices you've experienced and enjoyed at the likes of Quo Vadis, Claridges and Le Gavroche but then despite our concerted efforts we can't please all of the people all of the time. Ian

London, United Kingdom
“Must have been an off night in the kitchen...”
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Drove past this restaurant a few times and finally went on Monday after a recommendation. Beautiful restaurant in a nice area, not that busy but it was Thursday evening. I ordered the gambas pil pil to start. One of the worst prawn dishes I've ever had. Served in a dish that had been blitzed in an oven. Prawns had no substance, was way overcooked and were mushy. Sauce was v oily. For main I had the pork fillet. At first wasn't too bad but as the dish cooled I realised just how overcooked and dry it was. I put this down to a bad night in the kitchen but was very disappointed considering the reviews you have on TA!

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank Terry H
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Sorry to learn of your disappointment especially as I was on duty that evening and could have resolved the matter there and then had you made it known at the time.

The Gambas Pil Pil is intentionally a Spanish style sizzle dish whilst the main course Pork shouldn't have been as you described- my apologies. We're in the customer attraction and retention business so do please let me know when you might be back and I will make amends then.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
“A pleasant evening”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I met a friend here for dinner on a Monday night, it was surprisingly busy, we were glad that we had booked. It is a restaurant that I don't visit very often and when I do I wonder why I haven't been here more often. The servers are friendly and attentive but not pushy. You have a good selection of bread and carafe of still and sparkling water included, we both had pasta dishes, both cooked and presented well. How long before I return again, we'll see!

3 Thank JLo-Denmead
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Much appreciate your kind comments. Yes, even Monday nights can be busy and seem to attract many who prefer a quality catch up over a light, inexpensive meal.

Hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Bexleyheath, Kent United Kingdom
“Had a lovely lunch for my birthday today”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

We have been to Bartellas on a number of occasions and they rarely disappoint. Today we were made very welcome and the attentions of Elliot were most appreciated. We will certainly be back again soon.

2 Thank Fluffysfriend
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Pleased to learn all was good for your special day and that Elliott looked after you well- sorry I missed you but trust you had your usual taxi service organised!

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“All good - hope to return soon”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Had a very early evening meal here last night - great service - great food however my meat was a little undercooked when I asked for medium to well done but nothing to particularly moan about - pasta dish was great

Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Thanks Sarah- sorry we didn't get the meat just as you had requested but look forward to welcoming you back very soon.