“Very pleasant lunch”

Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Meopham
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A privately owned 175 seat restaurant with cocktail lounge and bar serving Mediterranean inspired food, Bartellas is a favourite of the charming village of Meopham. Elegantly appointed in wood and sisal, clean lines and contemporary furnishings, Bartellas offers comfortable and attractive surroundings plus excellent continental service including those little touches of linen napkins, predominately round tables, complimentary still and sparkling water and bread. The recent orangery extension and private dining salon upstairs for a maximum of 24 at one table ensures that whatever the occasion, Bartellas can cater for your dining and party needs. A regular changing a la carte menu, a Sunday menu with all the traditional roasts and the prix-fixe menu available Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and early evenings Monday to Friday offer great value for money- ��10.55 for one course including a 175ml glass of wine, small beer or soft drink.
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Our family visited for Sunday lunch to celebrate two birthdays in December. The restaurant was decorated beautifully for Christmas with lovely, but understated decorations. We all had a very nice meal served by friendly and courteous staff who were politely attentive. The food was all delicious and the menu offered a good variety to choose from. On the downside once we asked for the bill the wait until it arrived was ridiculously long which was a shame. We would definitely visit again.

2  Thank Alip2264
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Pleased to learn your family birthday celebrations were so enjoyable and that you appreciated the style of our decorations along with our food and service. Apologies for the delay with your bill-should have been with you within a couple of minutes of you requesting it.

Hope to see you back in 2014.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

This is our first Christmas without Mum and we wanted to do something completely different than ever before. From the moment of enquiring about the possibility of a table I was treated in the most friendly and courteous way by all the staff I dealt with. As a chef myself for more than 35 years I am always wary of eating out as I begrudge paying for something that I could've done better. We had an amazing time, the food was hot & tasty and I especially enjoyed the halibut. My Dad who is a fussy eater beyond compare, was offered the regular starters menu as the Christmas starters were too ''fancy'' for him. He especially enjoyed the turkey & guinea fowl, & was hard pushed to find a little space to put his figgy pudding. All in all the amoshere was jolly, festive but not too noisy that conversation was difficult, staff were very friendly and attentive, despite it being very busy. we all slept well that night

3  Thank tommymcdowell

Delighted your Christmas Day, in the circumstances, was so enjoyable for you and that the efforts of my staff both front and back of house were so appreciated too.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Usually enjoy meals at this restaurant but Xmas day lunch was poor despite being very expensive. Chowder was tasty but lukewarm. Beef main was very tough. Turkey main with guinea fowl was tasteless. Vegetables were uneatable because they were so under cooked. Roast potatoes very poor. Figgy pudding was small and like a slab of bread pudding. Mince pies still in tin foil and cold. Straight out of a supermarket packet? So disappointing.

13  Thank Mike N
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Highly disappointing for this couple not to have enjoyed their Christmas Day with us and frustrating for us to have not noticed that, with over 300 people on the day served and delighted- would much rather them have let us know there and then so that we could have made immediate amends.

However, after some private email exchanges we have since met and I have invited them back as my guests.

Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have been to this restaurant several times nearly always for a special birthday or anniversary. The staff is always very welcoming, cheerful and helpful. The menu, which is changed on a regular basis, is varied and tasty and we have never been disappointed. It is possible to join their club which, for an annual fee, offers free champagne on a birthday and anniversary. Meal costs go towards a reward scheme which allows for discounts against meals.

2  Thank Martin G

Thank you for your kind words and for recommending Club Bartellas membership- with over 1000 members now and effectively a decent, no quibble 15% discount the two complimentary bottles of Champagne alone are worth double the cost of the joining fee!

Reviewed December 24, 2013

Having done a Google search for a restaurant near Gravesend, I booked Bartellas for a family meal on Saturday evening (5 adults and a child). I received a courtesy call on Friday to confirm the reservation, which was a plesant surprise.
When we arrived (having called to say we would be late due to the weather), we were quickly taken to our table even though they had incorrectly noted the booking as just being for 5 people.
The selection of food was varied enough to suit all tastes and the quality of the food was fantastic. Everyone enjoyed their meal.
On the downside, they were very busy which resulted in inconsistent service e.g. my son knocked my glass of wine over. The waiter took our wet napkins & my half-empty glass away, saying that he would decant it into a clean glass. No clean napkins or wine was returned. Then after we left, I realised that they had charged full price for the burger that was ordered as a child's meal.
These minor issues aside, a lovely place to eat!

Thanks for your helpful comments- sorry about the error with the number of diners booked but that's why we phone to confirm, though there can be some confusion over whether a "child" requires a high chair or regular seat.

Pleased you enjoyed the food- as recently highlighted on T/A a child's (smaller) burger meal is currently not part of our "children's menu" offer but we'll fix that for 2014. Spillages of drink, regardless of how caused, are normally replaced foc so I'm disappointed we didn't do that swiftly and with good grace- my apologies.

Hope to welcome you back very soon.