“First Time - Great Food in a Pleasant Setting”
Review of Bartellas

Bartellas
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Meopham
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A privately owned 175 seat restaurant with cocktail lounge and bar serving Mediterranean inspired food, Bartellas is a favourite of the charming village of Meopham. Elegantly appointed in wood and sisal, clean lines and contemporary furnishings, Bartellas offers comfortable and attractive surroundings plus excellent continental service including those little touches of linen napkins, predominately round tables, complimentary still and sparkling water and bread. The recent orangery extension and private dining salon upstairs for a maximum of 24 at one table ensures that whatever the occasion, Bartellas can cater for your dining and party needs. A regular changing a la carte menu, a Sunday menu with all the traditional roasts and the prix-fixe menu available Monday to Saturday lunchtimes and early evenings Monday to Friday offer great value for money- ��10.55 for one course including a 175ml glass of wine, small beer or soft drink.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by a business colleague and to be fair it was a good recommendation.

My wife and I had Sunday lunch here and were impressed, from taking your coat at the door to directing you to a table in the bar area whilst preparing your table.

It is a modern restaurant that accommodates all, a number of children were in the restaurant but this did not appear to be an issue for any of the diners.

The haddock and cheese soup tasted wonderful and I would recommend it. I had the roast pork and my wife the roast chicken. Both were very generous portions and tasted really good.
There was so much food that we could not have dessert.

The only minor point was the waiter that asked if we had finished our meal literally 3 seconds after my wife had put her fork down. Seemed liked he was just ready to pounce and whilst busy the restaurant wasn't packed.

2  Thank Steve295
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2013

Thanks Steve for your kind and encouraging comments- delighted you have discovered us- what smart business colleagues you have!

Timing of service is critical in restaurants- we need to establish how you would like your meal paced and for us to clear your wife's plate so soon was poor- sorry.

Was a busy lunch, close on 300 covers but with our extra space upstairs and in the orangery we generally have no need to shoe horn people in and are also able to leave you to dine and relax at your leisure.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Table booked for 7 people @ 7pm, Arrived in good time and the restaurant has quite a spacious car park, ordered drinks whilst waiting for table to be ready and here is the first tip, The Coke is served in very small bottles and costs £1.95. In our party four people had ordered this to go with spirits - it would have been better to have shared one bottle between two people for use as a mixer.
Nice big round table and plenty of room for plates,glasses etc and cosy enough for everyone to be able to talk. The Starters came quite quickly and all were very tasty, the Brie was a good choice but the Mussels also looked good. Then the first niggle as the waiter spilt some Red Wine down my wife's top and although he gave her some tonic water to clear the stain off it has left several marks on the top. I had the T-Bone steak for my main meal and this was cooked to perfection and around the table the others had the Steak special turf & surf which looked good, Chicken Supreme which was nice but needs a side order as does the Swordfish. Finished off with bread & butter pudding for dessert which went down a treat, others had the mint chocolate truffle& Lemon tart which were also well recieved. Then the second niggle of the evening came as the coffees were served and mine was a cold froth of not much. We were then left to talk and leave at our leisure which was nice with lessons learnt for our next visit.

1  Thank Tanya-Glen

Many thanks for your most considered and constructive comments.

Sorry to learn about the spillage of wine- do please let me know the condition of your wife's garment since it has been cleaned.

Coffee- sounds like you had a cappuccino which I find Italian barIstas tend to serve warm- critical they have the cup hot in the first place.

Coke (and other mixers) the 200ml size we use for long drinks generally seems to be the right quantity, sensibly priced and of course is a far better product than that dreadful syrup stuff most other places use.

Chicken supreme- agreed, it needs something else with it to make it more of a complete dish- swordfish- thought the king prawns and the rice worked well but we'll review.

Do let me know when you plan to return and I will make amends.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We had dinner at Bartellas last Saturday night and then went to the village hall to see The Wind in the Willows. Excellent value £34 for two people, two courses from a special menu and this also included the cost of seeing the play! We only had to pay extra for our drinks.Bartellas and Meopham Players have this Theatre Experience everytime the Players put on a production.It's a great way to spend an evening and the food and service at Bartellas was as usual very good.The only minor thing we can find to complain about was that a new young waiter forgot to bring some vinegar that my partner had requested but another waiter brought it very quickly.

My partner couldn't have been too upset as he has booked a table for us for Valentines Night!

1  Thank joandgr
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Hi Joan, delighted you so enjoyed the occasion and thought it all great value.

Hope to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Good food, good prices and a nice restaurant experience.
Can rarely go wrong coming here.
It's nice to have your favourites on the menu, (especially the tempura prawns!) but I did like the regular change of menu to keep it varied.

1  Thank AEL_12
Eldridge79, Owner at Bartellas, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Good of you to praise us on all fronts and pleased you've noticed the churn of the menu items so that we no longer suffer from possible menu fatigue.

Tried taking the tempura prawns off once though and caused a riot!

Look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We used to love it here, so close to home, nice food and inexpensive, but the last couple of times we have been disappointed, the food wasn't as good as usual, although the staff we're as friendly and helpful as ever, we hope it was just an off couple of nights, but it has turned us off a bit I'm afraid.. We haven't given up on it and we will give it another try soon..

Hi Larry,

Sorry and obviously concerned to learn of your recent disappointments with the food- I had thought and it's been generally acknowledged that the quality has shot up over the last year or so. Consistency matters too though.

However, good to learn you still appreciate our front of house. Maybe when you're next in we can talk various aspects through over a drink or two- I'm always intrigued by comparisons with the competitors in the area- horses for courses and all that I guess!