“A Jewel in the Vines”

Takatu Lodge & Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 9 Matakana B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I was fortunate enough to be hosted at this lodge with my partner.
I was aware of the status of Takatu wine and the high quality of its reputation within the world of wine.
However, what I gained most exceptionally from this visit was being able to see and to gain an insight into the passion of John and Heather through their determination to develop wine of exceptional quality using the purest methodology amidst a lodge of exceptional quality. I gained a sense of genuine friendship from our hosts who spent time amongst their respective busy lives to take/make the time to share accounts of their journey with my partner and I as well as to enable them to host us to a very high standard.
For me this was more than a place in paradise to lay our heads, but a place where I was able to be invigorated by the passion of a couple who took the risks with a purest vision and who are continuing to strive to achieve the most highest of standards.
The area is only 45 minutes from Central Auckland and seems a world away. The beach at Buckleton's Beach is a gem too with the nearby townships of Matakana and Puhoi providing divergent impressions of current rural living. The determination of the local people to prevent and/or manage the challenges of the "big city developments" is to be admired and to be commended and to be totally encouraged as the "big city way" is not the way for everyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Copperduke

Reviewed February 7, 2010

Every detail is thought of at Takatu Lodge...My husband and I spent a couple of nights with Heather Forsman on our recent trip to NZ. It was a genuinely luxurious break in our itinery, the rooms are fantastic and the location and architecture of the Lodge itself have to be appreciated! Heather's breakfasts were yummy - I have emailed for recipes! - and the main reason for Takatu - the wine - some of the best we found in Matakana. A little bit of heaven in the chaos of life!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CarrotFaringdon
Reviewed January 20, 2010

John and Heather were incredible hosts, made us feel at home and amazed us with their attention to all details. Their spot is amazing, in the center of their vineyard, the room has an incredible view. It really is the perfect place to unwind and enjoy the beauty of life.
We are already planning to get back there next year and bring our parents with us.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tukis
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My husband and I badly needed a relaxing break from our heavy workload and chose Takatu Lodge after recommendations from others who had previously stayed there. Takatu Lodge is a peaceful, tranquil piece of paradise surrounded in green hills and trees. Spectacular lounge/dining/deck area, open fire, wine and canapes in the evening - the perfect place to wind down. An exquisite breakfast was served to us in our room the next morning, together with the newspaper. Our only regret was that we couldn't have stayed longer. Would thoroughly recommend this lodge to anyone wanting a secluded hideaway to take time out.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BreakfastontheBeach
Reviewed March 16, 2009

This lodge is the absolute best place of more than a dozen we stayed on our 3 week trip to New Zealand. The vineyard setting was superb, as were the hosts Heather and John. The lodge is contemporary with earthy and natural accents and has been featured in many design and travel magazines.
Every detail has been considered in the design! The rooms are sublime and the sheets are the best money can buy. The bathrooms are huge and feature a great oval tub set close to the vineyards and views of the sea.
The chef comes in every morning from down the road and whips up an amazing organic breakfast using local ingredients. The wine tasting features their own wines and olive oil from their farm.
We stayed the first two days of our trip and sadly nothing after even compared. It is worth every penny!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelpairSacramento
Reviewed March 8, 2009

My wife and I went to Takatu for two nights and wanted to stay longer, like a week longer. The location, facilities, owners and of course the wine are absolutely top notch. My wife and I went to New Zealand for a long weekend (from Sydney) and had no idea where to go but after some advice from the staff at the best restaurant in Auckland (The Grove), we decided on Matakana. Then we found Takatu on TripAdvisor and called up John (John and his wonderful wife Heather own the vineyard) and were lucky enough to get a room.

When we got there it was truly fantastic, absolutely stunning scenery, fantastic facilities (my wife and I are going to try and integrate some of the hotel’s design elements into our own home), perfect service and some of the best wine we have ever had. I hope I will be able to go back and I hope I'll be able to bring our extended family with me so they can experience it as well, that is how much we enjoyed it.

The only downside is they do not ship wine to the US (I am not sure about other countries). We loved their wine so much that we bought a case but had to bring it back to Sydney with us (we are living here for a few months) rather than send it back to our home in the US. Therefore if you do come here make sure you make arrangements so you can ship wine back to your home country because you will definitely want to take some of their wine with you.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BigCat21
Reviewed November 22, 2008

My husband and I wanted a romantic getaway for our honeymoon and Takatu was incredible, exactly what we were looking for. If you want to be surrounded by gorgeous vines, close to untouched beaches, near to fantastic food and wine in 5 star accomodation then this is your place. Worth every penny!! Heather was an incredible host......Excellent in every way.
Natasha - London

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank LondonNatasha
Takatu1, owner at Takatu Lodge & Vineyard, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2008

Dear Natasha
Thank you for your lovely comments, very helpful & informative & very positive! it's an absolute pleasure to have you stay and we look forward to your return next February when you can perhaps enjoy a 2nd honeymoon!
Our kindest wishes,
Heather & John

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matakana
Matakana Motel
#1 of 2 in Whangaparaoa
Tahi Lodge - Matakana Coast
Tahi Lodge - Matakana Coast
#1 of 1 in Snells Beach

Been to Takatu Lodge & Vineyard? Share your experiences!