“Unimpressive”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Plume Restaurant

Plume Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Matakana
Cuisines: European, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated just an hour's drive from Auckland or Whangarei, Plume, the vineyard restaurant, Matakana is a must visit destination on any Matakana wine or food journey - we believe we are all about fabulous local New Zealand wine and produce which together can celebrate "culinary diversity." Plume is a small town, rural, rustic restaurant with friendly service from locally employed staff. It is a great change from the starchy fine dining service of a big city like Auckland yet is in a class of its own.
Auckland, New Zealand
“Unimpressive”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

It is Sunday, 6 October and today after a great stay in Matakana I took my two children and one of their friends at 1pm to Plume for lunch. I had heard great things and was looking forward to a leisurely relaxed time with the children out in the courtyard taking in the river views. We parked, got to the counter and a young man - probably in his mid twenties started to serve us. I had a gluten free diet child with me and we sorted out what he could eat then everyone proceeded to give the man behind the counter their orders. I went to give my food order then I was asked what my choice of beverage would be. I said I would like a glass of white wine. To this the person serving us raised his eyebrows and said, "really?.... wine with your meal?". I said yes thank you. He responded with, "But you are driving. And you have three children with you." I was utterly amazed to be questioned in this way and held to account by someone whose role it is presumably to sell food and wine for this business. We left with out completing our order - a lunch order which would have amounted to close to $150 once we had also added the bread loaves we'd planned to purchase to take home with us. I wonder if this employee's manager is aware he is giving customers advice on their choice of beverage in this way. For me, after a weekend on my own with three children on holiday, I was looking forward to our lunch and my glass of wine at the very recommended Plume. In the end we found a restaurant by the river that seemed very happy to serve me what I wished to order.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Mary F

Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Superb food and ambience”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Four of us recently enjoyed a lovely, relaxed Friday lunch at Plume. We were given friendly, attentive service from the time of booking, right through to when we left the restaurant. We sat outside on a beautiful sunny day and enjoyed excellent food and wine in a relaxed atmosphere - could not have asked for more.

• Visited August 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A pleasant Sunday lunch”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We went in a group of four for Sunday lunch (1.15 pm). When I booked by phone, they said that 1 pm was taken so "be on time" for a 1.15 booking! Slightly officious. I don't think this person was present on the day as everyone was most pleasant. A party group were in another room, so our area of the restaurant was quieter and we enjoyed listening to the lovely girl guitarist - music pleasant but not intrusive. Back to the food, I ordered the fish of the day (monkfish) and asked for no tomatoes on the dish as I'm allergic to them and asked could I have other vegetables instead. When my plate arrived, I actually had a lot less vegetables than my friend who'd ordered the same dish. My husband ordered the Duck breast, not cheap at $40, his comment, it was `fine', but not a big helping. Desserts of Spanish dumplings and Gelato & Sorbet Assortments were good, but again expensive at $16. So all in all, food was reasonably good but more vegetables would have been appreciated considering the price. My husband enjoyed the Runner Duck wine and bought two bottles of merlot blend. There's great competition in the area for them with Matakana Market Kitchen and Mahurangi River Winery nearby.

• Visited September 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great restaurant for private function”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We hired Plume out for a 30 person dinner. It worked brilliantly for this purpose. The staff were very attentive and helped ensure our evening went smoothly.
Food was supurb

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Rachel W
A TripAdvisor Member
“Could not be faulted”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My wife and I visited Matakana on a Sunday afternoon and booked at Plume for lunch. We were both impressed with the friendly welcome and attentive service. We had the prawns and spring rolls for entree, and eye fillet and scallops for mains. The food was superb and could not be faulted. With some fantastic Runner Duck wines to match I highly recommend Plume Restaurant for a lazy Sunday lunch in Matakana.