Matakana Country Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Matakana Motel(Matakana)(Great Value!)
$107
$99
  • Pool
Warkworth Lodge(Warkworth)(Great Value!)
$78
$57
Agoda.com
Snells Beach Motel(Snells Beach)(Great Value!)
$99
$82
  • Pool
Castle Court Motel(Wellsford)(Great Value!)
$66
Agoda.com
$102
  • Beachfront
Orbitz.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We chose Matakana Country Lodge for a 2 night weekend getaway, The Lodge is the perfect combination of the ideal setting together with the great hosts. Susan and Garth made us feel most welcome. The breakfast was more than sufficient and very tasty. The Lodge is located close enough to numerous attractions which kept us busy over the weekend. Thanks for a great weekend!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I headed to the Matakana Country Lodge after a week working in the Auckland CBD. Having only a day to myself to explore before heading home to Australia I wanted to get out of the city and experience some of the lush, geen New Zealand I had always seen on TV. Due to having to fly out the following day, my options were limited.

Being only around 60km outside of the CBD and a very easy drive taking well under an hour I pretty much hit the jackpot. I got the lovely leafy surroundings I hoped for and nearby there was a nice little town, wineries and beaches all in the same area.

Even the winding road leading up to the property itself was pretty as a picture. Upon late arrival I was greeted by Susan who was very friendly and even upgraded my room. The property and room was cozy and the fireplace in the living room was very welcome. The view was expansive and lush.

It was very relaxing and both Susan and Garth were perfect hosts, with awesome breakfast and pointers on where to go and what to see.

When I checked out my luggage fell over leaving a nasty scuff on their wall. Susan was appreciative of the honesty and very understanding. She even gave me an awesome pointer on how to remove stubborn stains from walls (you'll have to ask her yourself).

I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: I really loved the Chardonnay room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2012

After ten days touring round New Zealand, three days at the lodge was exactly what we needed to wind down before our return to city life. Hidden up in the hills, the Matakana Country Lodge provides unparalleled peace and tranquility despite being only five minutes drive from Matakana and Warkworth.

We stayed in the Champagne room which was beautifully decorated and had views out over the hills. Although our room had everything we needed, the lodge also has a fully equipped kitchen, a lounge with huge comfy sofas, a tv room and outdoor area with pool and spa. A home from home.

Susan and Garth are wonderful hosts. From breakfast in the morning, to drinks and nibbles in the evening, they ensured that our stay was nothing but perfect. They were able to provide restaurant recommendations (making bookings for us) and Susan's daily itinerary suggestions ensured that we didn't miss out on any local highlights. Although the lodge is amazing on its own, Susan and Garth provide the soul that makes it something really very special.

The local area is stunning and there are many beaches and nature reserves nearby which provide some great walks and views. We had planned to go further afield one day, but scrapped that idea as soon as we realised that Matakana had so much to offer. For star gazers, on a clear night, the sky is incredible and I couldn't believe it when we spotted the Milky Way!

My top tips? Never miss breakfast (incredible) and if you're there on a Saturday morning make sure you visit the farmers' / arts and crafts markets. A quick tour of the local wineries is also well worth it.

It's a little piece of paradise.

Room Tip: The Champagne room is excellent, but all the rooms are beautiful.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Seriously brilliant place for a very relaxing break. Amazing rooms, views and hosts. Thanks Susan and Garth for a thoroughly enjoyable stay

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed March 18, 2012

A little way out of Warkworth and at the end of quite a long lane is this amazing lodge run by Susan and Garth. We were welcomed at the door and shown around their beautiful home. Our room was the height of luxury with stunning views across beautiful gardens (complete with interesting bird life) to the local hills. Our en suite facilities were amazing and the bed was really comfortable. A dip in the pool refreshed us before pre-dinner drinks and nibbles with other guests in the garden. Susuan was happy to book dinner for us in a restaurant in nearby Warkworth though we were too late to get a booking at our preferred venue. Breakfast was huge - plenty of fresh fruit and traditional cooked fare. No lunch required!

Room Tip: All named after wines and all excellent
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple