“Funky place to eat”

Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Even if you didn't want to buy a pot from Morris and James, it would be worth a visit to sit in the shaded alcoves and enjoy a coffee or a wine and some lunch. The goldfish pond has always been a favourite for us!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We were really looking forward to attending the Morris & James pottery tour and to having a lovely lunch outside at the Pottery Cafe afterwards. We saw the Cafe and menu on their website, and it looked gorgeous. I booked a week in advance for a particular family celebration with a relative from the US.

The pottery tour was very professional and interesting, but the Pottery Cafe disappointed us for a number of reasons: Although we had called and booked a week in advance, no table had been prepared or reserved for us. It was a very hot day and we expected a nice table outside in the shade. The Cafe staff obviously didn't refer to the booking that I'd made (there was an excuse that it was placed in the 2012 reservation book), so we either had to put up with a table in the sun or sit indoors. This was very disappointing because the pretty outside location was the reason for our choosing lunch at the Cafe in the first place.

Lastly, on the day we arrived, we saw a notice posted up on the wall informing us of a 15% service charge on each bill because the day was a public holiday (2 Jan). Although I understand and respect that staff need to be paid extra on a public holiday, I would have expected the Cafe to have informed me of the public-holiday surchage when I made the booking, or to declare the extra charge on their website. Despite my requesting an outside table in the shade and informing staff that I hadn't been told about the service charge, no-one tried to resolve either issue.

Although the location is very attractive, and the food perfectly acceptable, it would take a lot for me to return to the Pottery Cafe after this disappointing experience, particularly because the area is full of other attractive alternatives. I'd expected much better.

The Morris & James Pottery Tour is highly recommended.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Thanks for opening for us.... the feedback was all really complimentary and in fact the Scallop Entree was regarded as the one of the best dishes that Foodie had ever had. well done and thanks. Jayne Edgington

Reviewed August 5, 2012

so disappointing. we had visited this restaurant 5 years ago and recommend it to many American friends. But it has change hands and it was bad. Burnt food, cold coffee and service was -1 that means no service.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

We used to go and enjoy the outing here but our last experience will not see us return. In fact we just turned around and walked out. Life's too short for slack and surly cafe staff. You feel as if you are a nuisance to them.
On the other hand the Morris and James pottery display is excellent.

1  Thank BongoBickford