“A Unique Experience, and Fascinating”
Review of Negev Camel Ranch

Negev Camel Ranch
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Dimona
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I ended my 3 week tour of Israel with 2 nights at this fascinating place in the Negev Desert, located on the path of the ancient spice road from Arabia to the Mediterranean Sea. It was an experience unique and special in many ways.
Ariel Ullmann, the host and owner of the ranch, is a modern Israeli man, with one foot in the present, the other in the past. He learned about camels by apprenticing with Arab Bedouins when a teenager, and realized then that he had found his direction in life. He combines that experience with the most modern of animal husbandry science to raise healthy, well-adjusted camels, and shares his knowledge with people as far away as Australia and Northern India. I learned more about the Nabataeans, camels, and the ancient spice caravan trail, in a one hour camel ride with Ariel than a full day with a guide to Petra, where the Nanataeans based their empire.
The room was basic, but I slept very well on a good, firm bed. The meals were outstanding. It was a highlight of my trip, which was filled with wonderous experiences.

1  Thank Richard H

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We´ve been at the Negev Camel Ranch in Ferbuary 2013. Unfortunately we arrived a quarter past eleven, so that we just missed the tour (which runs every full hour). But we were received with hospitality and were served some really good tasting tea so that the time till the start of the next tour just flew away.. In the menatime we could meet some camels - which actually are Dromedars and no Camels (and thats the reason I gave only a 4 Star rating instead of 5); the animals seem to have a really happy life on the farm and are really well trained. We took the 1h tour, which actually is a little walk in the sorroundings of the farm. Our guide gave us some details about the area and the camels; this was interesting. Overall I think, the Ranch is a good Place to make first experiences with these really fascinating animals.

1  Thank aorund
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent a short family vacation.
Cabins are simple but pleasant. Shared toilets are relatively clean.
Meals (large) can be ordered.The price is not cheap.
The atmosphere is pleasant and quiet but if a little touristy.
Good with children but do not expect authentic.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

While in Israel volunteering on a nearby IDF base through Volunteers for Israel (USA affiliate http://www.vfi-usa.org/) of Sar-El, 3 other women volunteers and I decided to spend our weekend leave exploring the Negev. Our first stop Friday morning was at the Negev Camel Ranch for a 1 hour ride into the desert on the Incense Route.

We arrived at 8:30am and were greeted with a delicious cup of desert tea. (Like one of the other reviewers, we left with a bag or two so that we are reminded of the taste and smell of the desert.) The summer sun was already beginning to warm us, but the constant desert breeze kept us very comfortable during our ride.

Our guide who was a zoologist, told us interesting facts in a humorous way that kept us smiling.
In the winter they offer 1 and 2 day camel trips into the desert. I am planning on returning for the 2 day trip with my husband as soon as possible. I want more of this beautiful desert experience.

2  Thank Stephanie E
Reviewed May 27, 2012

It's hard to describe how wonderful this place is. The scenery is amazing, as well as the feeling of calm and tranquility that permeates. The staff are so friendly and welcoming. As soon as we arrived we were asked to take a seat and enjoy some special tea (which was delicious and we are so pleased we bought a bag to take home with us and invoke the desert!)

The huts are simple and comfortable and ft very well with the feeling of being away from material things.

We would definitely recommend the camel ride - great experience, and not at all uncomfortable. The camels are very docile!

Can't recommend this place enough - if you're travelling in the area, stay here if you want to experience something unique.

1  Thank Katy_travel37