“Eccellente!”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 29, 2013

L'Angolino (translates into 'the corner') is aptly named occupying a small corner plot on the main street in historic Doune.

Its a great little Italian restaurant with only around 8 tables (booking is essential) with a good atmosphere, attentive staff and fabulous food!

I had the delicious trio of bruschetta, the lasagne and the tiramisu to finish, all excellent. My wife had the mushroom and porcini rice balls, the lasagne and ice cream.

My wife thinks she is something of a lasagne aficionado and only a few mouthfuls in she declared it 'the best I've ever eaten'!

Praise indeed....

Looking forward to our next visit.

2  Thank Images_of_Scotland

Reviewed September 24, 2013

The atmosphere in this small bistro is outstanding. It is like eating in someones front room at home, with friends. Food was truly delightful and the friendliness was contagious.

3  Thank Alan B
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Foreword: I`m Italian and I`m having my honeymoon with my Japanese wife. Which, to the non-initiated, means that we`re looking for a place that serves really good food with excellent hygiene and service standards, and let`s not forget we are in Scotland, so we keep an eye on the price too.
"L`Angolino" indulges us in every possible way. It`s strategically located in the middle of the village, so that even people that tend to get lost in their own garden, such as myself, can find it easily. Big smiles and warm courtesy surround us as soon as we walk past the door. The place is just like good restaurants are in my country. Small, neat, cozy. Unsophisticated in a way that blends British (or should I say Scottish) understatement with Italian style. Then comes the food. We try pizza, pasta with salmon, and meatballs. I`m a rather adaptable person but one thing I`m unforgiving about is the way pasta is cooked abroad. We have a concept in Italy, "al dente", which is used to describe the right consistency that pasta is supposed to have when you taste it. L`Angolino`s "al dente" is up to scratch. The sauce is delightful, with high quality ingredients accurately balanced so that it tastes neither too salty nor too oily. The meatballs are, simply put, just like those that my grandmother cooks. The portions are quite generous and when the time comes for the bill we realize that we haven`t just eaten well, we`ve also eaten fairly cheap.
In conclusion, future customers are warned: be prepared to drive a few miles, because it`s going to make you want go back for more.

5  Thank Emanuele B
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Decided to try somewhere different for a change. This is a great gem of a place. A lovely welcome we were greeted with, a family run place with great enthusiasm. The food was fantastic and service was excellent. Great value for money. Will definitely be back again.

1  Thank AGSmith
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We happened to drive through Doune on our way back to Callander where we were staying and spotted this lovely restaurant. Whilst the menu is not extensive, there was a range of choice of food and drinks. We were given complimentary olives and breadsticks which was a nice touch. The food was excellent, the staff were friendly and the price was very reasonable. Would happily come back again.

1  Thank Eternalredroses