Our group consisted of 2 single moms and our 2 newly high school grad daughters. The purpose of our trip was for leisure/adventure. We used Dimas as our driver from the airport to the resort and back again on departure day. I researched other drivers & car services and chose Dimas based on his reputation/reviews on trip advisor and due to the costing. Dimas picked us up and provided cold bottled water for everyone in the group. He also provided information to us on tours and we called him to reserve our tours. If you are interested in his info, please message me.
We arrived at the Doubletree approx at 4pm and our rooms were ready. We are Hilton HHonors members so were able to use the special check-in desk. The bellboy took all of our luggage to our rooms and we were quickly on our way to fun! Note we checked in on a Tuesday so it was not as busy as if we were checking in on the weekend. We were placed in building 3 which based on what I’ve read is the best building. Being a Gold member, there was a bottle of wine & fruit plate waiting in our room – this was a nice touch! The room was clean overall and the air conditioning worked very well. We had issues with a lack of hot water in the early evenings – everyone seems to go in when the rain hits and take their showers to get ready for dinner. I found that by taking a late night shower or early morning shower gave you better chances of having hotter water.
We enjoyed the Canopy tour – horseback riding, zip-lines, and lunch that Dimas booked for us. It rained and we got soaked so I wish we’d thought to bring a change of clothes. Nonetheless, it was a great experience!!
We ate at the Macondo restaurant 2 nights during our stay. The 1st time we took the last seating available – at 9pm and they were out of steak. So our 2nd time in the restaurant we booked 7pm just to be sure we had full menu choices. The menu was the same both times we ate there. We did not eat at the outside Cana Brava seafood restaurant – other guests said Macondo was better, and some of our group wasn’t seafood eaters.
The food in the buffet restaurant was fine. If you are open-minded and willing to try new things you will enjoy this restaurant. Each night there is a different theme for the foods. There is also a snack bar by the main pool which had great burgers, pizza, wraps, nachos, etc. – more Americanized foods.
As for the drinks, we tried all of their specialty drinks. Note that you get “house liquors” unless you’re a preferred Hilton member. Those who are very particular/selective about their alcohols may not like the choices. But go with the flow and just enjoy – it’s still a pretty good value when you look at the all-inclusive plan.
The beach is the dark volcanic sand. We didn’t mind this. Some beaches haul their sand in anyways. The water was deeper and a little rough. It was fun to watch the local kids surf it.
We enjoyed the nightly shows and found them entertaining. Many of the entertainment staff double as servers at the bar and work some of the daily dance lessons & activities. They had bands and offered karaoke at the main bar. We visited the disco one night and enjoyed that, too.
Overall, we found the staff very hospitable. Many spoke English and we did our best to speak in our limited Spanish when possible. We had 2 different incidents requiring use of the 1st Aid dept. and were very pleased with the care they took.
Beware of the gift shop – the pricing is rather high on snacks, sunscreens, etc. T-shirts were priced comp to the airport gift shop.
I was most disappointed in the salon. It is located over near Bldg 1 and is in dire need of a renovation. They would certainly increase business if they did. Two of us got massages on the beach and enjoyed very much. Apply your sunscreen – even when it’s cloudy! I got burned and wasn’t able to get my massage.
We had a great trip. It is what you make of it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The closest all-inclusive resort to San Jose! Doubletree Resort by Hilton Costa Rica - Central Pacific is a modern, full-amenity, all-inclusive resort hotel. This beachfront Costa Rica Hilton hotel is perfectly situated on the Central Pacific region outside the port city of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Located only 50 minutes West of Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) and the Costa Rican capital city of San Jose, and two hours south of Liberia International Airport (LIR). Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily. Snacks and drinks available all day long. Two a-la-carte restaurants open for dinner. All-day activities for adults, teenagers or children, nightly entertainment and lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Hotel El Roble
- Doubletree El Roble
- Doubletree Hotel By
- Hilton El Roble
- El Roble Hilton
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Province Of Puntarenas