“Doubletree puntarenas AMAZING”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
ontario
“Doubletree puntarenas AMAZING”
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We have recently returned from a trip to doubletree puntarenas in Costa Rica. We got married on the premises and it was AMAZING!!! The staff was very professional in our wedding planning and it was beautiful.
We took part in a lot of the tours leaving from the hotel as well and the guides were a lot of fun. Even if they didn't all speak perfect english we had a blast.
The pools were emaculate, the beach was incredible and the food was DELICIOUS and the rooms were clean and comfortable. I would highly recommend a beach side massage. We were so happy with everything, we'd go back again and again.

2 Thank sea_monkee
DoubletreeManag, Guest Service Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 17, 2009
Dear Guests:

Greeting on behalf of all the management team.
This hotel is located in the beautiful pacific coast and we are really happy that it was the perfect scenery for your wedding.

we have two nice spots one with a big green area with white sand that is really appropiate if you want to have intimate ceremony or the spot by the pier where we can set up everything for a big ceremony.

It will be our pleasure to have you again to renew your vows or just spend some funny days with us.

Thank you very much...

Jessica Ramirez Fernandez..
Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed February 22, 2009

DoubleTree Puntarenas, the only black eye of the trip on a wonderful Caravan Tour.

We stayed at the DoubleTree the nights of January 31 and February 1, 2009. Service and food at the DoubleTree Puntarenas are not on par with the setting and physical facility. During our stay we had several issues as follows:

My wife travels with some medicine that she occasionally uses and needs to be refrigerated. After we were welcomed, received orientation, room assignments and cookies, I asked if there might be a refrigerator in the room. I was informed there was not but one could be brought to the room. It was not.

We went to our first floor room and seeing that it fronted on a public walk with little more than a few shrubs in front of the window I asked if we could be changed to a room with more privacy so we could keep the curtains open. When I checked later I was told no other room was available. I reminded the staff about the refrigerator. It never came.

We wanted to rinse out a few things in the bathroom sink but the stopper was missing. I phoned guest services to explain the situation. A maintenance person appeared later, checked the sink and said the stopper was missing. I asked if he could get one. He said not until the next day, but then went to check and later returned with a stopper. He tried to install it but found a small part was missing so that it could not be raised or lowered. Next day he could get the part. We would have been happy with a rubber stopper.

From our room we could see an open-air restaurant and night club some 300 feet away, outside the hotel property and across the main road. Loud music started about 10 pm and we could not sleep. My wife had earplugs and a pillow over her head. The music finally stopped at 2.30 am and my wife and I were able to get some sleep. It was Saturday nite, apparently the only nite there is music, or so I was told.

The next morning I asked to have our room changed. I was told to come back mid-morning which I did. I asked if a room was available in another building possibly with a view toward the ocean. The desk clerk said there was but he would have to charge us $15 per person more for it. No other room apparently was available. I asked for the manager and was referred to the concierge/guest services person since the manager was in a meeting. After explaining the situation to the concierge (in Spanish) she phoned the desk and miraculously a room was available on the other side of the same building we were in. We arranged to change later in the afternoon.

We moved into our new room and showered before dinner. The water in the shower stall did not go down the drain. I called guest relations and literally before I hung up the phone a maintenance person was at the door. He looked into the situation, removed the slotted drain cover from the drain and the water went down. He put the drain cover on the side of the shower. I did not want to look to see with what it might be clogged that prevented the water from going through.

The food at the restaurant buffet was lackluster. It was not very good our first night but improved somewhat during our stay. Breakfasts were good. Lunches and dinners were so-so with little variety in the way of salads and vegetables. Service was fairly non-existent. More than once I had to go the bar myself for drinks, get extra glasses or tableware if others joined us or we joined others and the table was not set for more than two, and dishes were not promptly cleared. We were not informed that with prior reservations we could eat at one of the seafood restaurants with table service. People who did eat at them said the food and service were marvelous.

The shining light in all of this was Cindy in Guest Relations. She was the go to person on Sunday when we had problems. She made sure our room change went through. She stored our luggage in her office so that we could participate in various activities during the day without worrying about getting back to move out of the old room. She had our luggage placed in our new room. She called later to see if we had settled in. Cindy also asked if we had received a refrigerator. Since we had not she asked if we still wanted it. Meanwhile we were using the ice bucket and ice from the lobby bar – the ice machine in the hall was not working. We declined the offer since it was out last night. She should manage the hotel.

BTW there were also cobwebs on the top of the bedside lamp! Does anyone check the condition of the rooms?

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank RPCV66
DoubletreeManag, Guest Service Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 1, 2009
Dear Guest:

On behalf of the staff and management, I would like to thank you for visiting us at the Doubletree Resort by Hilton Puntarenas in Costa Rica.

We are committed with 100% guest satisfaction, so we always read all the reviews on Trip Advisor. It is a great opportunity to receive important feedback from our guests and take the necessary actions in order to improve all of our services.

Regarding your comments, we apologize for all the inconveniences that this situations might have caused to you. We understand your disappointment and we are committed to improve all these aspects mentioned sharing your comments with the management team.

Please accept the most sincere apologizes and we hope you give us the opportunity to serve in the future.
Regards,

Jessica Ramírez Fernández.
Guest Service Manager.
Doubletree Resort by Hilton .
Sutton, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2009

My wife and I travelled to Costa Rica for the first time Feb 4, 2009. We were with two other couples, we all agree that this resort is under rated. Rooms are clean, food is good and service is great, the a la carte managed by Joaquin was fantastic. We also found Varso Travel, directly in front of the resort>>Ronald and Jenny were great to organize daily excursions in Costa Rica..Their prices are great and Ronald and staff give personal service and treat tourists with respect and will do what you want, not some prescheduled activity where you have no say. He and staff will stop and stay wherever you wish to go and for whatever time you want. Great job Ronald.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Monedann
Dear guests:

Receive a warm greeting from our staff and management. I would like to thank you for choosing us to spend your vacations in Costa Rica.

Receiving this kind of feedback makes us all feel grateful and motivated to keep exceeding guest expectations. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We really value the time taken for you to bring to our attention these positives comments.

We will be more than pleased to have you as a repeated guest in the future.
Kind Regards,

Jessica Ramirez Fernandez
Guest Service Manager.
San Diego, CA
Reviewed February 20, 2009

Our family of four enjoyed the resort and had no complaints. The pool and grounds are well maintained and the room was large and quiet with nice beds (Building 3). The buffet food was good, not great, and breakfast could get rather crowded. We had one dinner at Cana Brava which was quite good. The nightly shows were blingual and not high in production value. Actually we did not spend much time at the hotel itself, preferring to go out on day tours (canopy at Vista Golfo, crocodile river tour, and trip via ferry to Curu / Isla Tortuga were all great). However the 3 nights that we stayed were perfectly fine and I would say overall that the hotel exceeded my expectations. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guests:

Receive a warm greeting from the staff of this hotel.

Being this hotel an all inclusive hotel it is normal to get a little bit crowded during the peak season, that´s why we have two buffet restaurants that allow you to enjoy the meals time really quick.

If you stay three nights or more you will get the right to make a reservation at the sea food restaurant or at the latinAmerican restaurant.
Not everyday both restaurants are opened but we schedule them in order to make sure you got the opportunity to choose during your stay.

It will be great to have you again at the hotel.

Jessica Ramirez Fernandez
Guest Service Manager
Colorado
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Costa Rica overall is a beautiful country, the people are generous and friendly, a majority speak English, the US dollar is easily accepted. Zipline is a must! Local Tours are the best, with so much area information included. This country is very clean, environmentally motivated, and very scenic!
Please see below the comments I sent to the management of the hotel when we returned:
Your resort is wonderful! The rooms are very comfortable, wonderful beds! The pools are beautiful, restaurants and food great, staff is wonderful.
From the first, at checkin with Armando-who was so helpful during your sold out time. He took great care of us, and was very detailed and professional. Heiner at the pool bar was my favorite (although all of them were good!) Heiner remembered my drink and my name! Your volleyball staff is also great. Angela at the desk helped us to change around our dinner reservation, and when the telephones did not work (very very high winds knocked out a lot of electronics), she made sure a note was slipped under my door with the change.
We wish we could remember the names of the breakfast staff, they were top notch!

My friend Sandy accidently hurt her foot playing volleyball, and your staff was terrific. Immediately they brought ice, and called your in house paramedics. Your staff proceeded to wrap her foot, change it out daily, and gave her crutches to use the entire stay. Sandy said she has never been treated so well at any other resort vacation.
And your breakfast crew every day had a table ready just for us in our favorite spot along the patio railing close to the entrance so she did not have to walk far. One of your team even helped Sandy carry her food and plates back to the table since her hands were busy with the crutches! Now that is above and beyond!
And, also to thank your team for their recommendation of Dimas for our transportation-he was wonderful! Even though there was a horrible accident on your highway, he arrived on time at the airport to pick us up, we were greeted with a cold bottle of water and a great welcome! I will be recommending his service, and of course, your resort to anyone considering your beautiful country for a vacation. As a matter of fact, I already have, to many people in the airport and here at the hotel!
Please do pass this on to your management and your team; they made our vacation delightful.
P. S. Superbowl Sunday in your bar was a great time! We had a real party going on!

• Liked — All inclusive, excellent service, friendly staff
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank IcAll
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2009

My husband was questioning our selection of this resort based on the negative reviews, but our 8 night stay was fabulous. Yes, it is a 3star resort, and the ALL INCLUSIVE price reflects that. The room was clean, the food was good and service in ALL the restaurants was efficient and friendly. Nobody was ever rude or surly. If you're a HiltonHonors member, there is a separate check in desk, and it was very efficient. Our "reserved" room was not what was initially given to us, but by producing a printed copy of our reservation it was IMMEDIATELY rectified, hassle free with an apology.

Room - We booked a 2bdrm suite for $287usd per night (2 adults). Didn't need the second bedroom, but we liked the fact that there were 2 full bathrooms (jacuzzi tub for 2 in master bath), large balcony overlooking beach and pool, spacious living & dining area, along with mini-fridge and wet bar.

Food - Buffet was great for breakfast and lunch. Dinners could be hit or miss. Ate 3 times at the beachside seafood restaurant - Cana Brava - and the food was always fabulous and the service was second to none. Joaquin (the maitre'd?) was exceptional. We had 3 dinners at Macundo (latin american), and again, the food was great. Even the snack bar was okay for a a quick bite. Went to all the bars except Disco, and had good service.

There are a lot of kids at the resort and they are all at the main pool during the day. We seldom ever saw them in the evening, it was like "poof" they're gone. There is a small, adult only pool just off the lobby and it was a nice, quiet place to relax. Even though there are some ignorant people "reserving" loungers early in the morning throughout the resort, we NEVER had a problem finding one with shelter at any pool or along the beach.

The only problem we encountered was with the car rental desk (outside agency who reserves space at the hotel). On wednesday morn, we booked a 2 day rental for saturday and sunday and were told to come back and complete the paperwork on friday afternoon. When we went back friday morning, suddenly the car was no longer available and we would have to upgrade for a substantial amount of money. We asked why we weren't contacted earlier and were told that he wanted to tell us in person. We immediately walked out and went to the guest service desk and launched a complaint. The guest services manager, Jessica Ramirez, immediately looked into the matter. Within one hour, she had made arrangements for a private car and driver for the 2 days for what it would have cost for the initial car rental.

Overall, we had a wonderful holiday. Our encounters with all levels of hotel staff was very positive. A very nice resort for the money.

Note - we didn't include general photos of room or resort because hotel website is pretty accurate along with those of others.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank warrenandlinda
Chatham, New York
Reviewed February 2, 2009

This is an all-inclusive resort. It looked and sounded great!! However, there were problems. We came in on a Caravan Tour and received a wonderful welcome complete with chocolate chip cookies, the Doubletree signature. The room looked very nice, but then I noticed it wasn't really very clean, and the air conditioner was extremely noisy. We were in Building One, and to be fair, those who stayed in Building 3 had a much better report on their rooms. It was a huge disadvantage not to be able to sleep because of the noise. There is ALWAYS food available. We had nachos in the snack bar which were very good. However, the meal buffets, though plentiful in quantity and choices, were very mediocre. I had stomach trouble right from the first meal, so really didn't eat too much. There are many, many activities throughout the day---lots to do if you wished. The pier out onto the ocean was lovely, and the sunsets were spectacular. There often was a wait at the bar to get even a soft drink, since drinks also were included. I wouldn't tell someone NOT to take a Caravan Tour because of this hotel, but I wouldn't return to it on my own, either.

• Liked — The sunsets were spectacular
  • Disliked — the noisy room
  • Stayed January 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank marigail
#2 of 41 in Jaco
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!