“Could be lots better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Hong Kong
“Could be lots better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

One of those all in inclusive hotels and our first experience of i.e. a one off payment allows you to drink and eat (breakfast, lunch, dinner) as much as you can within your stay. Clearly this is a very popular model for some people as this resort was very very busy. However, unless you are “into” the all-inclusive then do not do it because you will hate it!

Despite the all inclusive which was not cheap, we found the rooms very ordinary, infact the whole complex was somewhat shabby. Clearly in need of a reno. job but since business appears to be very good, perhaps the owners think no need to do it!

Despite the sand on the beach been grey colored it did not deter some people to go and even some to go into the water which was somewhat silty and brown looking.

We stayed here since the location was close to a work appointment and my wife travelled with me. This hotel is just not our style so we will not be back.

Room Tip: Room with a pool view
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark William L
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Mr. Mark William L:

We appreciate that you have taken the time to give us a review about your recent stay with us

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to update our property to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal.

Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board.

Again, thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We value your business and will continue to work hard to exceed your expectations

Best Regards,

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Elkridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

My stay at the DoubleTree in Puntarenas, Costa Rica was one of the top three experiences of my LIFETIME! To start off, EVERY SINGLE employee/host was most accommodating as well as helpful and at all times polite... I know some people may look at the price and say WHOA, but you get what you pay for, and if you're not looking to spend your days in your suite (which probably would be fine), you will have a blast!!! This is an all-inclusive resort which is also why the price could be considered "up there". To start off, you have all you can eat as well as all you can drink, not to mention all of the activities which are listed on a board on a daily basis and there are plenty to choose from. The food at all locations -- they have to fine restaurants as well as an all you can eat buffet and also a snack bar. You can hit the latter two as often as you want and everything I ate was OUT OF THIS WORLD -- and this review is coming from a VERY PICKY professional Chef. There are at least six bars that serve wonderful made to order drinks all day as well as a multitude of soft drinks and fresh juices made by a designated chef by the quart -- but you never have yo wait! Coffee and teas are also served all day and I must say as a "coffee snob", this is the best coffee I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying -- EVEN BETTER THAN THE FINEST ITALIAN COFFEE IVE HAD MANY TIMES!!!

The rooms are phenomenal -- even the "basic old rooms" that I spent half of my stay in. Halfway through my stay I received a call from hotel guest services at the front desk asking if I would be willing to move to an upgraded room in the newest building with ocean views (higher priced). Evidently some work was to be done near my room and they cared enough to upgrade me so that I wouldn't be disturbed. WELL -- this work was being done during hours that any normal person would be awake, was not something warranting the need of a relocation, but the staff wanted to make me more comfortable which meant a lot to me and my fiancé.

The most meaningful part of my stay was the staff which were ALL overly-accommodating and their main goal was to always put the guest first no matter what. This kind of service with a smile is something that goes a long way these days.

Give this resort a chance and you will not regret it. I have only been home 3 days and I am planning my return!

Pura Vida!

Room Tip: I stayed in both building 1, and building 3. Building 3 was much newer and had an ocean view... BUT...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steven P
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Mr. Steven P:

We are glad to know that your time at our resort was as wonderful as you described it on your review, in the same way we are really proud to know that our team members were focused in offering you really good customer service experience.

Thank you for choosing our resort as a destination for your holidays, we will be more than glad to welcome you again in the near future.

Ricardo Rodriguez
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Sitting at breakfast under a bamboo canopy, overlooking the beach and one of the pools, I can't imagine why there are any poor or terrible remarks left on trip advisor. We are gold Hhonors members but from what we have observed, everyone is treated like VIP's. Our room is delightful, 3335, Building 3, with a designated pool which is quieter than the main pool but both are beautifully maintained and serviced by swim-up bars. Without exception every staff member we have encountered are smiling and delighted to help make our stay fantastic and stress free. The food in the main buffet restaurant and in both speciality restaurants has been truly excellent! I am really fussy and don't like fish. For my husband, we have eaten in the fish restaurant and they created a delicious pasta with baby vegetables and a cream sauce for me. Nothing is too much trouble! My husband and I are terribly sad to be leaving tomorrow and cannot wait to come back, with our adult children, who would absolutely love it here too. We rented a car and have driven to the wonderful Jaco Beach, Ziplining - 25 cables over 11 waterfalls and yesterday saw sloths, raccoons, monkeys, iguanas, frogs etc etc at Manuel Antonio National Park ending on a gorgeous beach. The beach at the hotel is dark volcanic sand but is beautiful with the crashing waves and scorching sun. Can't speak highly enough and thank you again to Ana and Kary for all their help x

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Janettraveller3
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

I am very satisfied with the services, the food was excellent and the variety was delitefull... I´ll like to congratule the way people service interacts with the guests, this is very important to feel like in family. Congratulations

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Jossie J
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was hesitant to book my trip here after reading the mediocre reviews on tripadvisor but I couldn't pass up an all inclusive at such a good price. I was not disappointed. I don't know what all these bad reviews are about. The grounds were beautiful, the pools were great, the rooms were clean. I understand there was not a whole lot to choose from as far as food was concerned but the food was consistently good at the included restaurant so I didn't mind. I traveled with a group of friends and all of us had a great time. The staff was nice and accommodating when we got there several hours before check in...stored ALL our luggage (and there was a lot!) and gave us our bracelets so we could get lunch and drinks until we could check in. Best advice I got there...have the staff get you a taxi and ask the driver to take you to see the monkeys. It's a five minute drive to this woman's house in the jungle. You give her a couple of dollars and she gives you tons of food to feed all the wild monkeys that hang out around her house. They are very friendly and will sit on your shoulder. Well worth the $10 cab ride and extra couple of bucks for the food. Overall, the Doubletree was great.

Room Tip: I requested building 3. There is a pool with a bar and hot tubs right outside the building and we ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelbug4518
Brillion, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We chose the DoubleTree Puntarenas mostly because I could use my hotel points toward the stay. We were pleasantly surprised from an accommodation point of view. The room was clean and spacious. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. The location is really convenient to do a variety of different excursions. We did enjoy the pools and the amount of space available for lounging. The availability of the awesome fresh fruit was one of the best parts. The afternoon coffee was something we looked forward too. Though it seems weird for an area that averaged over 90 degrees. Our one special dinner at the seafood restaurant was good.

Not a deal breaker or even a negative, but some things to be aware of. This is a popular spot for local Costa Ricans, so while it is an American hotel with majority of English speaking staff, the majority of guests were local. We only did one evening of entertainment, which was all in Spanish. Don't plan on walking down the beach in the late afternoon evening, security will make you sign a waiver - seemed like overkill, but at least they were looking out for our safety.

Breakfast is probably your best bet as far as food goes - anything you could possibly want for breakfast is available. We didn't do the lunch buffet as we only really stayed on site one full day, so we ate pizza and fries from the snack bar - both were tasty (even the resident lizards loved the fries). Food for dinner is as other reviews described, nothing remarkable but edible. They always had fruit and salad so we usually started out with that and then filled in with hot items. The table of desserts always netted something to end the meal on a sweet note.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Theresa F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

I feel like this property has a lot of potential but does not quite live up to it. The grounds are quite nice and well maintained. Physically the hotel itself is in good shape but the rooms are somewhat lacking. It's clear that this is an older property that is in need of a renovation. Layers and layers of paint don't cover the rust and deterioration on some of the interior. We stayed in the queen jr suite. The layout was kind of weird and the fold out love seat sized sofa was completely uncomfortable to sit on. The food at both the buffet and the ala carte restaurants was good. After five nights the buffet was getting a little repetitive. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating though not all that attentive. They really could use some cocktail servers in the areas around pathetic pools. We visited on a Groupon and I probably would have been irritated if I'd paid their standard rates.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 7 in Tambor
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,083 reviews

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!