Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
United States
“Mold everywhere”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The room was smelly and moldy to the point to make me and my elderly mother so sick that we ended up having to take antibiotics and other medicines due to respiratory problems. The doors around our room were moldy too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

4 Thank Gloria A
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Dear Gloria A:

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Central Pacific. Your candid comment is an opportunity for us to keep up with our service on a daily basis, and in order to meet all our guests’ different expectations.

We regret to know that you were not satisfied with our overall services and accommodations.

Feedback is a valuable tool for us, we are working on a solution to prevent condensation and other issues related to the humidity level and the weather conditions of our location.

Thank you again and please give us the opportunity to serve you again when your travel plans take you to Puntarenas.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Honestly, I'm not sure why there has been so many negative reviews of this Doubletree. Let me be clear. You are in one of the most beautiful and unique country sides in the world. If you are spending your time in Costa Rica hanging around the Doubletree, you are doing it WRONG. This place is perfect for unwinding after a long day of hiking in rainforests, exploring the island of Tortuga, or zip lining through the trees. We had hot water (although, one evening the water was a dark color, but cleared shortly after we called the front desk), clean towels and linens everyday. Upon arrival we were pleasantly greeted and shown the campus and escorted to our rooms. The pools are clean (was up early enough every morning to witness the guys cleaning them), the A/C was ice cold in our rooms, & had a beautiful view of the Pacific. Now with all that said, there's always room for improvement, but overall my wife and I had a pleasurable experience and would recommend this place to all of our families and friends. Remember you aren't staying at the Ritz, but you are in Costa Rica. Take a trip outside the hotel, see the uniqueness of what Costa Rica offers, and quit seeking perfection in everything, cause sadly you will be let down. We enjoyed the hospitality Doubletree in Puntarenas offered us and would gladly stay again.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank bms1283
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Dear bms1283:

We are really glad to know your opinion about our resort and service, we also truly appreciate your positive feedback which is very important for us, and for the whole Trip Advisor family. It is good to know, that you enjoyed our strategic location and your appreciation for our natural resources and the variety of flora and fauna that you can find in our Natural parks, forests, rivers, ocean and islands.

We are thrilled to know that you spent a wonderful time in our resort and in our country and thank you very much for recommending us with your friends and Family. We hope to welcome you back to Doubletree Resort by Hilton- Central Pacific, in the near future.

Best Regards,

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The roons are fine but old. They are clean. The pools are filthy and the service is the worst. Employees are actually rude and not willing to please you. Food is below average even for an all inclusive, but the worst was the staff. At the burger bar, they refused to split my burger even though he had a knife in his hand. At the main dinning room, they would not let us put two tables together because they claimed that they could chip or brake....!
There were no clean towels at the pool and at the parking lot they actually screamed at me like I stole a baby from its mother!
It was the worst experience we had. We will not come back, not recommend any body to visit this Hotel.

Room Tip: Get a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Carlos U
Dear Carlos U:

We appreciate the insight you provided regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were not entirely satisfied with your visit, we cannot miss to express our concern with the description of your experience in our hotel, as we work with dedication and pleasure to make our guests feel comfortable from arrival to departure time. I wish I would know about your concerns while still being at the Hotel in order to have had the opportunity to offer the kind of service you expected.

It is very disappointing to receive such a low review, please rest assured that all your comments will be taken into consideration so we can improve our guest in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality you expected according with your perception.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again when your travels bring you back to Puntarenas,
Regards,

Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We have just returned home from our vacation in Puntarenas. We stayed at a number of different hotels including the Doubletree Hilton. I am amazed, actually shocked by the negative reviews that this hotel has received. We stayed for 4 nights and had an excellent time. We stayed in building #3 which is the newer building. The views of the ocean and pool were superb! We had plenty of hot water, nothing was broken and we slept like babies, it was so quiet. Having traveled in Europe extensively, we found the size of our room to be quite large.They have 3 amazing pools. The one closest to building 3 had a swim up bar, but this pool was never very busy or loud at all because it was away from the other two pools which were closer to the main building and dining area. The beach, just like almost every other beach during the rainy season had a lot of driftwood, sticks etc. floating but was still quite swimable. We received our towel on the first day and returned it when we left. Very simple process. We found the staff to be friendly and there was plenty of help to book excursions for zip lining, boat tours, fishing, snorkeling and wildlife tours. Both zip lining tours we took were extraordinary! The tour guides took excellent care of us and even made a detour afterwards to a shopping area that we would never have found on our own. They have three restaurants and each one is very different. The main dining area is buffet. At the buffet for breakfast, you can get freshly made/squeezed smoothies that were just delicious. They also had an omelette station as well as the fresh fruit area and the rest of the regular buffet foods. For dinner, they have several stations for your choosing including a beef area and a fresh fish area. We never ate in the Latin American restaurant, but we did eat in the seafood restaurant. We did make a reservation and were totally delighted by the experience. It is situated closest to the 3rd building, very close to the beach area so the view is lovely. The service was excellent and the food delicious. Did I mention that they walk around serving fresh fruit to the people sitting by pools #1 and #2 ? This possibly could have been due to the construction going on to repair one of the bridges in pool #1. Should they have closed down pool #1...probably. The one thing that I can say is that many Costa Rican people come to this hotel for their vacations and so this may bother some people. It did not bother us at all. Would I go back again? You bet! Is this a 5 star hotel? No. It's somewhere between a 3 and 4 star. We found that it was a great bang for your buck, but I would definitely ask for building #3.

Room Tip: Go to building #3, it is the newest and ask for a room with a pool and ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank slinowsky
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Slinowsky:

It is nice to know that you had an enjoyable stay and that you were delighted with our service and Food.

Also, we really appreciate that you have brought to our attention the cordial and friendly service that you have received from our staff who are always willing to serve each of our guests with a kind smile.

Thanks again for sharing your suggestions and letting us be part of your holiday.

Dawson, Georgia
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The all-inclusive resort was very family friendly. Lot's of activities for all ages. (Try zumba in the afternoon in front of all the guests).
The good:
The staff is friendly and well spoken. Most of the vacationers were primary Spanish speakers, the staff had no problem communicating in English.
The grounds were well maintained. Enjoy the hotel iguanas! They are everywhere and fun to watch.
The bed was wonderful. firm and comfortable. what you would expect from Hilton.
Quiet pool - Not much activity which is good is you want quiet, no kids and enjoy the sun.

The ok
The food - fine for an all inclusive resort. The staff did a wonderful job of presentation and for the most part the food was flavorful and enough variety. If you stayed 3 nights you were able to book a dinner in one of their restaurants. I would recommend their seafood night!!!
Drinks - All inclusive, nothing special, flowed freely and enough bars swim up and otherwise to meet your needs!

The bad -
The hotel is showing it's age. I didn't realize that this property was both a hotel and a time share property so I believe that mgt. needs to work on cleaning up certain areas of the property to help enhance the guest experience:
Pool - NEEDS RE-PLASTERING - As a pool owner myself you tend to be alert to issues in other peoples pool as I have had the same issues in the past. The plaster was old, etched and worn. This caused algae to build up on the walls. The hotel had people in the pool daily scrubbing the walls with metal bristled brushes. Quick clean but only pushed the algae around in to the pool and other surfaces.
Pool - Not sure what type of filtration system but the water never was crystal clear.
Beach - Clean but don't plan on going swimming in the ocean. I was told that the water cleans up in the Jan-May time but during the June-Oct time it was brown, smelled and not inviting. Also don't plan on waking past the hotel property without signing a form telling you that the beaches are public etc.. etc.. (you get it)
Rooms - We had an end room facing the beach. Beautiful view but the room needed a lot of updating. mold in the tub caulking. Metal outside doors that flaked rust and need of paint.

Overall Yes I would go back. The staff more than made up for any shortcomings. I do hope the facility will do some updating.

Room Tip: Look at building 3.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TSS39842
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear TSS39842:

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent stay. I was glad to read that you enjoyed our pool and that you found our grounds to be well maintained and our staff friendly; however, I understand that we did not provide you the exceptional stay we always wish to provide all our guests. I do thank you for providing a detail account of your observations. We take all of our guests' feedback very seriously, and appreciate it as a valuable teaching tool. I have shared your comments with my team. We will address these issues immediately to ensure that the same mistakes are not repeated.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of the team at the property. We truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us. I would appreciate it if you could please give us another opportunity.

Thank you again for sharing your comments, and please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Sofía Drosos
Operations Director
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We checked in and after seeing our room and walking around the grounds asked for a refund and they said no so we were stuck here for a week. I complained to Hilton who said the same thing. I was in tears. I'm now taking my complaint to the BBB.
The ocean is so disgusting you can't get in.
They only have one place to eat and it's the same food every night. My husband and I joked that the food started out fresh, the second night became a pasta, the third night because a cassarole. It was the same every night, just presented differently.
One morning I wasn't feeling well and my husband went down to bring some coffee and bread back to the room and they told him no.
The water in the shower would get super hot for a few seconds every 30 seconds so you had to set it to warm so that when it got hot, it wouldn't burn you.
The information books in the rooms are wrong. The times for the restaurants etc. are incorrect so we would either show up early or late for meals which was terrible because if you missed lunch, the only thing you could eat was the snack bar which was hot dogs hamburngers, and fries.
There were cracks in walls.
They put us in a joining room. The door was closed of course but we heard EVERYTHING the family next to us said/ TV etc. It was so loud including at night.
They do have two other restaurants by reservation only for people who stay more than 3 nights but they don't tell you those restaurants are only open a few nights per week.
The hotel is in a horrible location. We would have walked off the resort to do things but it's not near anything.
The activities in the pools are so ran by someone who has a microphone turned up so loud for most of the day. Relaxing is not an option.
Constantly working on the yard.
The hotel quality itself is that of a Hampton Inn and their advertising is very misleading. I blame Hilton more than the hotel staff but I don't think I'll ever trust a Hilton website to book anything again.
This was the worst honeymoon of all times. My husband has promised me to take me somewhere very nice for our one year because he was equally disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Michelle P
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Michelle P:

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We do our best to provide exemplary service to each one of our guests, and your experience is not typical.

I am so sorry that your rest was disrupted by some of our guests. I thank you from bringing this to my attention so that I can follow-up with our security department. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Again, I thank you very much for your review.

Best regards,

SI, NY
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I don't know where to begin! I was part of a group that booked 6 rooms. Staff is inattentive! Examples: Members of the staff often finish their personal conversations before "helping" - 1. There was an unnecessary line for people to be seated at the buffet, meanwhile there were many empty tables and plenty of staff standing around talking; 2. In order to get a towel for the pool, you have to wait at the towel bar (which is typical), but you will wait much longer than a typical all-inclusive because they: finish their conversation, collect your towel card, find your name on a long list to write down that you were given a towel (usually it's just a towel card...I never heard of writing down who is getting towels and how many they're getting), then write down something on staff member's hand (maybe a tally?...); 3. Bartenders will keep you waiting LONG for a drink (with the exception of the bartenders at the swim-up pool near building 3); 4. Power tools and drilling was going on in between two pools, inches away from pool! A wheelbarrow was being pushed near pool where drilling was going on and it tipped over spilling large rocks inches away from swimmers leaning on edge of pool; 5. Water is not provided in bottles but water is dispensed by waiters and waitresses if they're available (refer back to the above for staff members chit chatting it up before attending to vacationers); 6. No hot water (in 5 of the 6 rooms); 7. Shower handle broke, water was running and the moisture was moistening the floors, mirrors, walls; 8. Toilet bowl wouldn't flush - figured out a method of holding handle for 10 seconds to get a full flush; 9. Door lost its charge (never heard of this either). Key card didn't work bc the door mechanics needed to be charged. This was after a long day and night and had to wait for maintenance to figure out the problem; 10. Beach is DISGUSTING! But pools are amazing. The list goes on. I wish we did not waste our money here!

Room Tip: GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!! The best room would be in another resort!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
10 Thank zukemania
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Zukemania:

Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay. Your feedback is a valuable component in monitoring our success and identifying areas that may need improvement.

Our volcanic sand beach is part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country, our beach was recently awarded by the ICT (Costa Rican Tourism Institute) with the “Blue Flag” for having a clean, safe and pollution free beach.

Once again, we thank you for expressing your opinion and let us being part of your vacation.

Kind regards,

#2 of 41 in Jaco
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!