“Doubletree Hilton: Service on par with a drive thru McDonalds”

Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Hallau, Switzerland
“Doubletree Hilton: Service on par with a drive thru McDonalds”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you are looking for a place where you can sit in a pool full of drunk gringos hopped up on sugar-infused drinks, doubletree Hilton is for you. I was impressed by the general feeling of indifference displayed by hotel staff regarding the fact that we had arrived. Upon arrival, my wife and I were barely noticed as we cued up in the line to check in. After 30 minutes, we were finally greeted and checked into our room with "a view." There are some places you arrive and the feeling is "wow." Our stay at this place was filled with a series of disappointing "oh's." I think the staff at this Hilton establishment know that they are working at a watered down version of something greater. Spending a night at the doubletree in Puntarenas is like going on a date with the buck tooth sibling of some dreamboat; you really wish you had gone for the real thing. Upon check out, they didn't bother to ask how our stay was. Hasta luego doubletree...not.

4 Thank Sebers
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Sebers:

Thank you so much for your review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help us to identify ways we can improve. I understand that you were disappointed about the service you experienced while staying with us.

I sincerely apologize if this caused you any inconveniences. I was especially disappointed that you found our staff to be indifferent towards you and that they did not provide you with the service you deserve. I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I can personally follow-up with our staff members. Your business is extremely important to us and apologize if you were inconvenienced in any way.

Again, please accept my apologies and I make myself available should you have any further questions.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
World
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a great all inclusive hotel for the price. We stayed in Building 3, the newest building and I am glad we did. Once checked into the resort I asked to look at one of the mini-suites in Building 2, as it was the same price as the deluxe room in Building 3. I would say that the deluxe room is much better than the mini suite. Newer, and has nice tall ceilings. The pools are what make this resort. They are huge and plentiful and have swim up bars. The food was average, but I wouldn't expect anything better at a reasonably priced all inclusive.

Pros: Big, free form pools. Pool bars. Bar tenders will make your drink nice and strong if you ask. Make excellent Bloody Marys. Comfortable beds. Air conditioning is ice cold. Really hot water and great pressure in the bathroom. Plenty of sun chairs to relax on. Service was very good. The breakfast buffet in the morning is quite good; lots of fresh juices and tasty food options.

Cons: Pool bars close at 6pm, so the only place to get a drink is at the main bar, which is right by the buffet, so it is awkward to walk up there in your swimsuit and ask for a drink when people are trying to eat dinner. Beach is not pretty or very good for swimming (as should be expected in this part of Costa Rica). Unless you stay 3 nights or more, you can not get a reservation at the nice restaurants; although we were able to get a reservation at the Latin restaurant for 9pm on our last night (the food wasn't that good, but the ambiance and presentation were excellent). The sprinklers turn on in the early morning and they were very loud from inside our room. There is no room service available.

To sum it up: If you are a rich, easily disturb person, go to the all inclusive in Guanacaste and pay double to triple the price. If you are just looking to relax at the pool, eat and drink all you want, and enjoy the beautiful weather with good company, stay at the Doubletree Puntarenas. I will be going back...

Room Tip: Choose a room in Building 3; it is the newest and best building.
7 Thank LivingLifeByTravelin
Dear LivingLifeByTravelin:

I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and accommodations; Thank you very much for recommending our hotel as destination for other travellers. We always try to make each guest experience a great one, and it is always nice to hear from our guests how they had a relaxing and pleasant stay

Thanks again for sharing your observations about sprinklers and for your detailed review, we cannot wait to welcome you again soon.

Best regards,

Ciudad de Heredia, Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 28, 2013

*Location is great, that´s the first reason I chose this hotel for my honey moon, Is just 1 hour from the Juan Santamaría Airport using the new Caldera Highway. Amazing scenery on road.
*Welcoming always is good in any Hilton all around the world... And Costa Ricans are great friendly people. The cookie as always delicious.
*Nupcial Suite, for my honeymoon I booked a nupcial suite which is very confortable room. Has a nice jacuzzi inside and a king bed with beach view, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT you need clean windows to look outside, unfortunately they were dirty. I called and they cleaned so good. Then there were no lamps working very well. They changed. There was no mini refrigerator, that´s important and the room did not have any detail like flowers or something special for our honeymoon. I called so upset about I they did the best... The service manager is great and she did her best work on it. Jacuzzi and bathroom were clean all the time.
*Food, the bufete restaurantes are not too good. And locours are the worst quality but the barmans do their best with their own sorprises for you. Hotel says in all inclusive 24 hours but there´s no food to 10 pm until 7 am... only tuna or cheeses sandwich or drinks. Snack bar is great until 10 pm, A LA CARTE restaurantes are great I had the opportunity to eat in the to restaurantes and they are delicious, Caña Brava is seafood and Macondo is international food, both are excellent but you need to be there for at least 3 days to receive a dinner in one of them.
*Entertaiment is the best... a lot of pools, beach front hotel, theather, karaoke nigths, typical Costa Rican nigths, nice disco, comedy, free courses and peace if you need it.
All the hotel is beautiful, hotel staff in amazing people... The hotel didn´t satisfied my needs at the first time but there were people doing their best all the time...
¨there is not a second chance for a first impression¨

Room Tip: Pedir habitaciones con vista en segundo o tercer piso no con jardin porque pasa la gente al lado y e...
1 Thank Abner Antonio C
Dear Mr. Abner Antonio C

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I thank you very much for selecting our hotel for such a special occasion as your honeymoon. I was glad to read from your review that you enjoyed our location and found our staff to be welcoming.

I do however apologize that we did not meet your expectations in regards to our cleaning service and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

I thank you for your business and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

San Diego, California
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was worried after I read some other reviews and almost backed out of our hotel stay, but we had a really nice stay here! We travelled with family-- 2 adults, 2 kids (11 & 14), 2 seniors). We had two rooms in building 3 (which other reviewers recommended). It is further from the lobby and activities, but also more quiet. The room was very clean. There was an occasional crack in the wall or piece of baseboard missing, but nothing that would take away from our enjoyment. The beds were very comfortable and the air-conditioning worked great. We thought that the pools and grounds were lovely. The food was good--nothing world class and nothing terrible. There plenty of choices and we never went hungry. I think it is typical for an all-inclusive resort. We had already learned from friends who have visited other all-inclusive resorts that alcoholic beverages would most likely be weak and the wine would not be top notch. So we had already adjusted our expectations for that and we stopped at a store outside of the San Jose airport and picked up some nice bottles of wine to enjoy while there. The beer was good and we still enjoyed the occasional tropical drink. Also, since we stayed there for 4 nights, we got to eat at Maconda Restaurant which we all enjoyed. There was better wine served (for a price) as well. Based on past reviews, we didn't even try the seafood restaurant so I can't comment on that. There were plenty of activities to try. My kids loved playing soccer on the beach (we also picked up a soccer ball at the Walmart by the SJ airport) and we even made it out to the water a few times (sand is very hot in the middle of the day). We really enjoyed the sunsets sitting under the palm trees and sipping the wine we brought along. Very beautiful! We did not venture outside of the hotel as past reviews and travel guides did not recommend it. Nor did we go into the town of Puntarenas itself. We just enjoyed all that the hotel had to offer. Our kids absolutely loved the hotel--it was there first all-inclusive experience and they loved the freedom to eat whenever they wanted along with all the activities. Guests were a mix of other Costa Ricans(especially during the weekend), Americans, Canadians, and other foreigners. We met a nice family from San Jose and enjoyed practicing our Spanish. Overall, we stayed here to enjoy the warm and sunny weather and relax for a few days. We had a great time. We saved our big adventures (hikes, zip-lining, etc...) for the Arenal area where we headed next.

Room Tip: Building 3 was nice. If you are a wine drinker, bring some of your own bottles of wine along. We b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank kappesfamily
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Dear kappesfamily:

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay with us.

It is a motive of happiness hears how all your family enjoyed all the facilities and activities in the Resort.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you here all together once again in the future.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was a nice family resort offering pool side activities and night time entertainment for everyone. The staff were friendly and helpful through out the resort. The only issue I had was with the remote for the TV but it did not matter since I was too tired to watch. This place may be reached by bus and a short cab ride from San Jose within two hours.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank excellone
Dear exellone:

Thank you very much for visiting us and let us know your opinion. As you mentioned, we take pride in ensuring the guest´s satisfaction, starting with our fresh made chocolate chip cookie and throughout the stay with the little details that make an unforgettable stay, no matter if you visit us for business or leisure.

Is a pleasure to serve you, we will be so happy to have you here soon.

Best regards,

Hampstead, NC
Reviewed February 24, 2013

If your traveling with your family including young children this is not the place for you. After leaving another Hilton property in Guanacaste because they had no electricity we were sent here. This property is more like a compound in the middle of an area of the city you don't want to walk with your family. The hotel itself is very outdated and in desperate need of some serious capital investments for upgrades.

As a Hilton Diamond member this is by far the worst Hilton property I have ever visited. I literally never got out of my rental car. My wife got out to use the restroom after our three hour drive at this hotel and the look on her face combined with my first impression and lack of curb appeal made our decision to keep driving south. We ended up at a resort further south in Puntarenas just north of Jaco and had a great experience.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Culley W
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Culley W

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, including comments help us to identify ways to improve.

I understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat out of date, and we truly regret that you did not checked in and see all that our Resort has to offer to all our guest; as you mentioned you never got inside of our hotel because you always remained inside your car.

As a Diamond Hilton Honors member we appreciate your loyalty and feedback because it is incredibly important for us.

Again, I thank you for your review and we sincerely hope you give us an opportunity to stay with us next time you are in Costa Rica.

Sofia Drosos
Operations Director
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is realy run down. There is crack on the wall, frames are not level, the taps are not working ar night so if you need to take a shower do it early.
They only change the tv and the bed and they call this renovation.
The food at the buffet was terrible. They only think that was good was the food at the snack bar.
There is a lot of lezard on the wall.
If you want to walk on the beach you can go far because it is not safe.
The beach is not sand it is all small rock.
You can not go swim on the beach because the waves are to strong.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear windfl0wer4576

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to update our property to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal, and we do appreciate your time to write this review to us.

Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board, we have hosted the worldwide “ rabbit kekai long board classic” tournament for many years with great success.

Regarding the safety of our beach that you have mentioned, I would like to clarify that our staff have to give you some precautions when you leave the premises outside of our property, but it is not a dangerous area necessarily, it is just basically a prevention since all the beaches in this country are not private and are open to the public.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Roble
#2 of 41 in Jaco
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!