“I Will Be Going Back”

Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is a great all inclusive hotel for the price. We stayed in Building 3, the newest building and I am glad we did. Once checked into the resort I asked to look at one of the mini-suites in Building 2, as it was the same price as the deluxe room in Building 3. I would say that the deluxe room is much better than the mini suite. Newer, and has nice tall ceilings. The pools are what make this resort. They are huge and plentiful and have swim up bars. The food was average, but I wouldn't expect anything better at a reasonably priced all inclusive.

Pros: Big, free form pools. Pool bars. Bar tenders will make your drink nice and strong if you ask. Make excellent Bloody Marys. Comfortable beds. Air conditioning is ice cold. Really hot water and great pressure in the bathroom. Plenty of sun chairs to relax on. Service was very good. The breakfast buffet in the morning is quite good; lots of fresh juices and tasty food options.

Cons: Pool bars close at 6pm, so the only place to get a drink is at the main bar, which is right by the buffet, so it is awkward to walk up there in your swimsuit and ask for a drink when people are trying to eat dinner. Beach is not pretty or very good for swimming (as should be expected in this part of Costa Rica). Unless you stay 3 nights or more, you can not get a reservation at the nice restaurants; although we were able to get a reservation at the Latin restaurant for 9pm on our last night (the food wasn't that good, but the ambiance and presentation were excellent). The sprinklers turn on in the early morning and they were very loud from inside our room. There is no room service available.

To sum it up: If you are a rich, easily disturb person, go to the all inclusive in Guanacaste and pay double to triple the price. If you are just looking to relax at the pool, eat and drink all you want, and enjoy the beautiful weather with good company, stay at the Doubletree Puntarenas. I will be going back...

Room Tip: Choose a room in Building 3; it is the newest and best building.
7  Thank LivingLifeByTravelin
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear LivingLifeByTravelin:

I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and accommodations; Thank you very much for recommending our hotel as destination for other travellers. We always try to make each guest experience a great one, and it is always nice to hear from our guests how they had a relaxing and pleasant stay

Thanks again for sharing your observations about sprinklers and for your detailed review, we cannot wait to welcome you again soon.

Best regards,

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

There are newer reviews for Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Reviewed February 28, 2013

*Location is great, that´s the first reason I chose this hotel for my honey moon, Is just 1 hour from the Juan Santamaría Airport using the new Caldera Highway. Amazing scenery on road.
*Welcoming always is good in any Hilton all around the world... And Costa Ricans are great friendly people. The cookie as always delicious.
*Nupcial Suite, for my honeymoon I booked a nupcial suite which is very confortable room. Has a nice jacuzzi inside and a king bed with beach view, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT you need clean windows to look outside, unfortunately they were dirty. I called and they cleaned so good. Then there were no lamps working very well. They changed. There was no mini refrigerator, that´s important and the room did not have any detail like flowers or something special for our honeymoon. I called so upset about I they did the best... The service manager is great and she did her best work on it. Jacuzzi and bathroom were clean all the time.
*Food, the bufete restaurantes are not too good. And locours are the worst quality but the barmans do their best with their own sorprises for you. Hotel says in all inclusive 24 hours but there´s no food to 10 pm until 7 am... only tuna or cheeses sandwich or drinks. Snack bar is great until 10 pm, A LA CARTE restaurantes are great I had the opportunity to eat in the to restaurantes and they are delicious, Caña Brava is seafood and Macondo is international food, both are excellent but you need to be there for at least 3 days to receive a dinner in one of them.
*Entertaiment is the best... a lot of pools, beach front hotel, theather, karaoke nigths, typical Costa Rican nigths, nice disco, comedy, free courses and peace if you need it.
All the hotel is beautiful, hotel staff in amazing people... The hotel didn´t satisfied my needs at the first time but there were people doing their best all the time...
¨there is not a second chance for a first impression¨

Room Tip: Pedir habitaciones con vista en segundo o tercer piso no con jardin porque pasa la gente al lado y e...
1  Thank Abner Antonio C

Dear Mr. Abner Antonio C

First of all, thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I thank you very much for selecting our hotel for such a special occasion as your honeymoon. I was glad to read from your review that you enjoyed our location and found our staff to be welcoming.

I do however apologize that we did not meet your expectations in regards to our cleaning service and I am actively working with our housekeeping team to ensure our standards of cleanliness and comfort are consistently met. I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options.

I thank you for your business and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I was worried after I read some other reviews and almost backed out of our hotel stay, but we had a really nice stay here! We travelled with family-- 2 adults, 2 kids (11 & 14), 2 seniors). We had two rooms in building 3 (which other reviewers recommended). It is further from the lobby and activities, but also more quiet. The room was very clean. There was an occasional crack in the wall or piece of baseboard missing, but nothing that would take away from our enjoyment. The beds were very comfortable and the air-conditioning worked great. We thought that the pools and grounds were lovely. The food was good--nothing world class and nothing terrible. There plenty of choices and we never went hungry. I think it is typical for an all-inclusive resort. We had already learned from friends who have visited other all-inclusive resorts that alcoholic beverages would most likely be weak and the wine would not be top notch. So we had already adjusted our expectations for that and we stopped at a store outside of the San Jose airport and picked up some nice bottles of wine to enjoy while there. The beer was good and we still enjoyed the occasional tropical drink. Also, since we stayed there for 4 nights, we got to eat at Maconda Restaurant which we all enjoyed. There was better wine served (for a price) as well. Based on past reviews, we didn't even try the seafood restaurant so I can't comment on that. There were plenty of activities to try. My kids loved playing soccer on the beach (we also picked up a soccer ball at the Walmart by the SJ airport) and we even made it out to the water a few times (sand is very hot in the middle of the day). We really enjoyed the sunsets sitting under the palm trees and sipping the wine we brought along. Very beautiful! We did not venture outside of the hotel as past reviews and travel guides did not recommend it. Nor did we go into the town of Puntarenas itself. We just enjoyed all that the hotel had to offer. Our kids absolutely loved the hotel--it was there first all-inclusive experience and they loved the freedom to eat whenever they wanted along with all the activities. Guests were a mix of other Costa Ricans(especially during the weekend), Americans, Canadians, and other foreigners. We met a nice family from San Jose and enjoyed practicing our Spanish. Overall, we stayed here to enjoy the warm and sunny weather and relax for a few days. We had a great time. We saved our big adventures (hikes, zip-lining, etc...) for the Arenal area where we headed next.

Room Tip: Building 3 was nice. If you are a wine drinker, bring some of your own bottles of wine along. We b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank kappesfamily
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Dear kappesfamily:

Thank you so much for your kind review of your recent stay with us.

It is a motive of happiness hears how all your family enjoyed all the facilities and activities in the Resort.

We hope to have the opportunity to have you here all together once again in the future.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This was a nice family resort offering pool side activities and night time entertainment for everyone. The staff were friendly and helpful through out the resort. The only issue I had was with the remote for the TV but it did not matter since I was too tired to watch. This place may be reached by bus and a short cab ride from San Jose within two hours.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank excellone

Dear exellone:

Thank you very much for visiting us and let us know your opinion. As you mentioned, we take pride in ensuring the guest´s satisfaction, starting with our fresh made chocolate chip cookie and throughout the stay with the little details that make an unforgettable stay, no matter if you visit us for business or leisure.

Is a pleasure to serve you, we will be so happy to have you here soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

If your traveling with your family including young children this is not the place for you. After leaving another Hilton property in Guanacaste because they had no electricity we were sent here. This property is more like a compound in the middle of an area of the city you don't want to walk with your family. The hotel itself is very outdated and in desperate need of some serious capital investments for upgrades.

As a Hilton Diamond member this is by far the worst Hilton property I have ever visited. I literally never got out of my rental car. My wife got out to use the restroom after our three hour drive at this hotel and the look on her face combined with my first impression and lack of curb appeal made our decision to keep driving south. We ended up at a resort further south in Puntarenas just north of Jaco and had a great experience.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Culley W
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear Culley W

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, including comments help us to identify ways to improve.

I understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat out of date, and we truly regret that you did not checked in and see all that our Resort has to offer to all our guest; as you mentioned you never got inside of our hotel because you always remained inside your car.

As a Diamond Hilton Honors member we appreciate your loyalty and feedback because it is incredibly important for us.

Again, I thank you for your review and we sincerely hope you give us an opportunity to stay with us next time you are in Costa Rica.

Sofia Drosos
Operations Director

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This hotel is realy run down. There is crack on the wall, frames are not level, the taps are not working ar night so if you need to take a shower do it early.
They only change the tv and the bed and they call this renovation.
The food at the buffet was terrible. They only think that was good was the food at the snack bar.
There is a lot of lezard on the wall.
If you want to walk on the beach you can go far because it is not safe.
The beach is not sand it is all small rock.
You can not go swim on the beach because the waves are to strong.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear windfl0wer4576

Your comments are always very helpful and valuable for us, you can be sure that we are always looking for ways to update our property to give the best quality of facilities and service as well, in order to achieve full guest satisfaction as our major goal, and we do appreciate your time to write this review to us.

Our dark brown volcanic sand beach is a typical characteristic of our central pacific coast, and one part of the tropical attractions of a Costa Rica. A positive thing about the ocean just in front of our property is that it has one of best surfing long breaks in the world for long board, we have hosted the worldwide “ rabbit kekai long board classic” tournament for many years with great success.

Regarding the safety of our beach that you have mentioned, I would like to clarify that our staff have to give you some precautions when you leave the premises outside of our property, but it is not a dangerous area necessarily, it is just basically a prevention since all the beaches in this country are not private and are open to the public.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Weather: This area of Costa Rica has 2 seasons. Winter is the dry season and the weather is perfect. I should start off with saying we are Diamond members for Hilton Honors. I think we tend to be treated special for this reason.
Hotel: Our hotel room was very nice and clean with a king bed, balcony and partial ocean view. We were in building 4. I had heard from some other guests that the other buildings were not as modern.
Pool: The hotel has 4 really nice pools; one for kids that was big but shallow, one for adults only, and 2 with swim up bars. They were really great.
Beach: The beach is hot black sand and not nice for swimming at all. It is also not safe. There is a sign that tells you not to bring valuables. While we were there a wedding was being planned and the photographer got robbed of her equipment at knifepoint. I feel bad for the hotel because as safe and monitored as they are, they can not help what happens on the beach.
Bars: The bars including pool bars flowed all day. The way the staff waited on us I would think they were working for tips. But since this is all-inclusive there are no tips.
Food: There is a Buffet, Snack bar, juice hut, a Latin and a Seafood Restaurant. The Latin and Seafood restuarants require reservations. Our 6 day trip included 2 dinners at one of these 2 restaurants. As diamond members were were given 3 dinners at the Seafood and or Latin restaurants. I personally preferred the Buffet. The snack bar included pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, nachos and a limited salad bar. Aside from that there was very little "simple food". Most of the food was a sofisticated combination of ingredients which I found to be very well done. There was a great selection of fresh fruit and healthy options. But if you are looking for simple grilled chicken there was not too much in that way. There was however a very large selection of items and I found it hard not to sample all of them. I was rarely dissapointed. Each night has a theme and included items such as sushi along with typical Costa Rican dishes as plantians, rice and beans and tamales. Breakfast offered a healthy fresh juice assortment that was incredible. My favorite was the beet and orange juice mix. Again there was a great selection of food and juice to choose from including an omlete station. There was a limited selection of items for the omletes though. They have one type of cheese which is similar to mozzarella. I don't know how full the hotel was, however there was never a problem getting a table anywhere. On the weekends the locals from San Jose come to visit so there were a lot more people. They have plenty of space and staff to accomodate everyone.
Value: We used Hilton points, however when I looked up the rate for our room it would be about $330 per night for 2 people. Considering the food and alcohol are included, I think this is a pretty good deal.
Activies:Activities is one area where they lost points. There were plenty of water arobics classes that seemed well attended. The other activities seemed to be hit or miss though. They would give you a sheet with the activities of the day then they would be cancelled last minute. There is also a board by the towel hut that lists the activities. I once checked at 2:00 to make sure an activity was still listed for 3:00 and it was. At 3:00 it was suddenly changed. When I asked why they told me it was the person's day off. When I asked why it was listed if it was his day off, her English was not good enough to be able to answer me. There were few staff that did speak very good English. However I was in their county so I can't fault them for that.The rest of them had various levels of fluency. I attended a class on Costa Rican coffees in which we were encourance to attend the "palm folding" class that was supposed to follow. When I attempted to attend that I was told that it was over. One of the coffee staff found someone to give me a private class. They really do go out of their way to make you happy.
Entertainment: Each night there is a show at 9:30. It consisted mostly of dancing intersperced with comedy routines. While I didn't care for most of the comedy myself, I did hear kids laughing so I think it was a way to allow the dancers to change and have something for everybody. I am not a fan of dancing myself but you could not help but see how talented these people were. I thought they must have all been professionally trained. Some of their feats included cir-solei types of feats. One of the performers (I believe her name was Rebecca) actually sang - once. I really enjoyed hearing her and wish they had included more of her. There was also fire dancing. They did their best to translate everything but on the weekend it just couldn't be done. I wouldn't put the shows on par with what you get on a cruise ship, but as I said you couldn't miss how talented and how much work they must out into it. I might add that the shows are put on by the staff that holds the activities during the day. I don't know when they get to rest.
Excusions: We took 2 excusions which I really enjoyed. One was to Isola Tortuga to go snorkeling, and the other was to Manuel Antonio (not much in the way of snorkeling but some tiday pools with fish) to see wildlife and swim on white sand. We booked both tours through Swiss travel on the hotel premies. You could go across the street from the hotel and book wth the locals for a lot less money. However the Swiss tours come to the hotel to pick you up and I knew I could trust them because they were backed up by Hilton. We really enjoyed both excursions. I spoke to some people who did book across the street and they were happy with their tours too, but they obviously did not have as luxurios accomodations. I heard people say that the zip line over the water falls were very good tours.
Shopping: As for shopping, you won't spend a lot of money here. There is not too much that is uniquely Costa Rican. The town of Puntarena is not very safe. You can get a taxi or book an excurision with a guide, but again you are told to leave your jewelry home. That is the other reason I can not give this locaiton a perfect rating.
If you are going to stay in the Puntarenas area though I would definitely recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in Building 3 and make sure your beding choice (king or 2 doubles) is clear.
1  Thank NJgirlL0vesT0Travel

Dear Njgirllvestotravel:

We really appreciate your detailed review. We are always willing to provide to our guests a memorable stay through a customized service.

For me is a pleasure to know that your vacation in our Resort was pleasant, as well as your ride in Costa Rica.

Thank you again for your feedback, it is very important for us, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Roble
#6 of 20 in Punta Arenas
Alamar Aparthotel
Alamar Aparthotel
#10 of 20 in Punta Arenas

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!