We came here as part of a package deal. We read the reviews here, looked at the photos, seemed like it would be a great place. Costa Ricans are extremely proud of their country and always say positive things about everything about their country . . . except Puntarenas. So many locals spoke very poorly of this area and were in fact embarrassed of it. We then came in with low expectations, we left with even lower.
The water color is brown, we found many articles of trash in the water, even outside of the water the beach was unpresentable. The resort itself had awful entertainment, terrible food, in the pool I stepped on 3 plastic cups, straws everywhere in pool, trash left everywhere outside of pool. We have been to very nice all-inclusive resorts. I expected much more.
The front desk was not very receptive to our needs either. We arrived very early at 10am so I totally understand a room was not available, even though we were in a standard room. Our travel agent told us most hotels during the offseason will offer upgrades if you politely ask. We are very pleasant, friendly people. The gentlemen did smile and say no because our reservation only shows a standard room. The couple who was also shuttled to the resort from La Fortuna did have an upgrade room and were shown to their room immediately. They were nice and allowed us to use their room to change. So for 4 and a half hours, we checked the site but we were ready to rest in our room because it started to rain. We asked again if a room was available because it was obvious it was the offseason as the resort was obviously not full. The same gentlemen said they would have nothing available until 4pm. We were polite and said thank you. At 4:30, we returned, again with no one in line, a half hour past check-in and we asked is a room available, the same gentleman said "Let me check if anything is available." I know he was not intending to be rude but that is an awful thing to say after waiting 6.5 hours for a hotel that is not full. We were very irritated at that point.
The food is awful for breakfast and lunch, dinner is decent, although I did get sick from the sea bass on seafood night.
Also, we saw signs to not bring your valuables to the beach. A security guard would chase you down if you decide to go for run on the beach with a waiver release form to release them of any liability if something were to happen to you. We decided not to leave the premises.
The only highlights were the wait staff at dinner. They were very friendly, especially Eddie. Please read this and please look at beaches in Guanacaste or the Carribbean side. So many countless Costa Ricans were embarrassed of Puntarenas and told me next time, I should go to these other places because they represent Costa Rica much better. People staying there told us the same thing unprovoked. Please take this advice. Thank you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The closest all-inclusive resort to San Jose! Doubletree Resort by Hilton Costa Rica - Central Pacific is a modern, full-amenity, all-inclusive resort hotel. This beachfront Costa Rica Hilton hotel is perfectly situated on the Central Pacific region outside the port city of Puntarenas, Costa Rica. Located only 50 minutes West of Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) and the Costa Rican capital city of San Jose, and two hours south of Liberia International Airport (LIR). Buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner served daily. Snacks and drinks available all day long. Two a-la-carte restaurants open for dinner. All-day activities for adults, teenagers or children, nightly entertainment and lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Hotel El Roble
- Doubletree El Roble
- Doubletree Hotel By
- Hilton El Roble
- El Roble Hilton
- Doubletree Resort By Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica Province Of Puntarenas