Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in El Roble
San Diego, California
“Awful Resort”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We came here as part of a package deal. We read the reviews here, looked at the photos, seemed like it would be a great place. Costa Ricans are extremely proud of their country and always say positive things about everything about their country . . . except Puntarenas. So many locals spoke very poorly of this area and were in fact embarrassed of it. We then came in with low expectations, we left with even lower.

The water color is brown, we found many articles of trash in the water, even outside of the water the beach was unpresentable. The resort itself had awful entertainment, terrible food, in the pool I stepped on 3 plastic cups, straws everywhere in pool, trash left everywhere outside of pool. We have been to very nice all-inclusive resorts. I expected much more.

The front desk was not very receptive to our needs either. We arrived very early at 10am so I totally understand a room was not available, even though we were in a standard room. Our travel agent told us most hotels during the offseason will offer upgrades if you politely ask. We are very pleasant, friendly people. The gentlemen did smile and say no because our reservation only shows a standard room. The couple who was also shuttled to the resort from La Fortuna did have an upgrade room and were shown to their room immediately. They were nice and allowed us to use their room to change. So for 4 and a half hours, we checked the site but we were ready to rest in our room because it started to rain. We asked again if a room was available because it was obvious it was the offseason as the resort was obviously not full. The same gentlemen said they would have nothing available until 4pm. We were polite and said thank you. At 4:30, we returned, again with no one in line, a half hour past check-in and we asked is a room available, the same gentleman said "Let me check if anything is available." I know he was not intending to be rude but that is an awful thing to say after waiting 6.5 hours for a hotel that is not full. We were very irritated at that point.

The food is awful for breakfast and lunch, dinner is decent, although I did get sick from the sea bass on seafood night.

Also, we saw signs to not bring your valuables to the beach. A security guard would chase you down if you decide to go for run on the beach with a waiver release form to release them of any liability if something were to happen to you. We decided not to leave the premises.

The only highlights were the wait staff at dinner. They were very friendly, especially Eddie. Please read this and please look at beaches in Guanacaste or the Carribbean side. So many countless Costa Ricans were embarrassed of Puntarenas and told me next time, I should go to these other places because they represent Costa Rica much better. People staying there told us the same thing unprovoked. Please take this advice. Thank you.

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay here, please upgrade, the standard rooms were musty and had cold showers. T...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PhillipRivers
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director of Operations at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear PhillipRivers:

We really appreciate your time taken into this review. As a matter of fact, I would like to share you that Central Pacific coast is famous for its nice surfing spots, as well as the cruise dock at Puntarenas downtown; visited for more than 500 cruises a year (October to May every year).

At DoubleTree Resorts we are characterized by our warm and caring culture, for that reason I am glad to know that Eddie showed you that outstanding service.

Also, we always are willing to hear all comments and take them as a way to grow in our service and keep doing our best every day.

Thank you very much for sharing your point of view with Tripadvisor community.

Director of Operations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 11, 2012

We visit this all inclusive hotel once in a while, mainly because it's the closest to Costa Rica central valley. It takes around 80 minutes to get there, and once you get in you don't have to worry for meals and entertainment. Although it has limited choices, it is ok if you don't mind some gaps. Food is average, so are the rooms and service. Gym is just renewed and it is great, the best thing in the facility. Pools are nice and snacks are good, so you will never be hungry.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank gjtrips
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director of Operations at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear gjtrips,

Greetings on behalf of staff and Management Team of Doubletree Resort by Hilton Central Pacific, Costa Rica.

We really appreciate your time to share the satisfactory experience.

Our intention is to offer the highest quality service and convenience to all our valued guests during each visit. We are so glad to know that you enjoyed the food, our service and special that you noted the new look of the Fitness Center of the Doubletree by Hilton.

It is a pleasure to serve you, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again and demonstrate you once again the commitment of satisfaction we have with all our valued guests.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Check-in is WAY too late (4:00pm) until this time you cannot get a room.
Rooms rate are way too expensive for low season (October is raining season)
Food is awful, (Breakfast, lunch and dinner), snacks were ok.
Rooms were cleaned but had not towels, toilette was broken, tv control wasn’t working correctly
bathtub was clogged up

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Elluany S
Dear Elluany S:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were not entirely satisfied with the overall service, even though our Resort characterizes for being convenient for leisure and business.

Besides of this, we offer for a small fee, the opportunity of early check in to enjoy all the facilities before getting the room.

Each point of view is valid to continually improve and exceed quality standards.

Thank you for let us be part of your vacation and sharing your opinion with us.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I am not usually an "all inclusive" traveler..but I will try to be fair in my review. The property is very well kept and the rooms nice- I had a suite. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are enjoying your stay. The buffets were all plentiful and delicious! I have never seen a breakfast buffet with so many choices! I did not get to all the tables for any meal as there was so much food. The pools are beautifully designed and great for families. The children's play area was also fun and great for even the very young children. All the children I saw (including teenagers) seemed to be having a great time. The ocean here is not very nice and having been to many of the beaches in Costa Rica, was rather disappointing. No one was at the beach when I was there. The pools seemed to be the place to swim. You have to pay to get internet in your room (disappointing). But internet is available free in the lobby area. The resort hands out chocolate chip cookies when you arrive - and that is a wonderful welcoming touch (they are delicious!). If you like all inclusive resorts, you will most likely enjoy a stay here very much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank islandgirl04
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director of Operations at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Dear islandgirl04:

We appreciate your time to comment on your experience at the Doubletree Resort by Hilton Central Pacific Costa Rica. The feedback from our guests allows us to continue our growth and excellence.

We are glad you enjoy our meals as was breakfast with its variety of options, recreational activities, the friendliness of our staff and even our welcome cookie details that are important to us proactively continue to practice every day.

Finally, I would like to explain to you about the color of the ocean which is a brownish color beacuse it is mostly volcanic sand and that it would be imposible for it to be blue. However, we have the Blue Flag Award for the quality of our Ocean Water.

It is a pleasure to serve you, hope to welcome you in the near future and once again demonstrate the commitment of satisfaction and hospitality characteristic of Doubletree Resorts.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were a little skeptical to stay here because there are alot of negative reviews, but we had a great time here. The resort is absolutely the cleanest I have ever stayed at - both the grounds and the rooms. The service is unmatched - its like all employees are trained that customer service trumps everything they do. Fanny at the bar in the lobby was particularly wonderful! We stayed in Building 3. The furniture is a little plain but very up to date and again, very clean. The layout of the pools is really nice, plenty of chairs, plenty of umbrellas and plenty of sunny spots. The food is just okay. Not terrible, but not wonderful but there was good variety and we enjoyed our meals. The drinks are a little light on alcohol but they're good. The beach was disappointing. You can lay at the beach but you don't want to get in the water. The waves are wicked and there's an undertow. But you can have your chairs on the sand, enjoying the view and easily get in the pool to cool off. As far as transportation, a little research prior to our trip revealed its expensive to move around in Costa Rica and you have to factor that into the trip. We always arrange our transportation before we get there. If it cost someone a big taxi bill to get to the resort, that is a failure to plan ahead on their own part; not really the fault of the resort. We had a wonderful time at the Doubletree and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Choose Building 3. It's the newest.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelsallover408
Dear Suzanneb408:

I am so glad to know that you lived the Doubletree experience and had such a wonderful time here. Thank you very much for your recognition to Fanny and her outstanding service, to all of us, it is always a cause of joy to hear of how much a team member cared and treated our guests during their stay.

While the beach sometimes has strong tides, it is ideal for lying on the beach, swimming, water sports and enjoying stunning sunsets.

I really appreciate your recommendation and let us been part of your rewarding experience in Costa Rica.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I'm inspired to depict my accounting of a trip of horror spent at this doubletre resort hoping that I save others from such a HUGE mistake.
Please keep in mind, this is coming from an American's perspective. This resort rates low on my list of experiences for many reasons. Though I consider myself quite realistic, I had clearly set my "realistic" expectations too high.
Experience:
Upon landing in San Jose, I was responsible for an hour and a half taxi drive to the resort, contrary to what's suggested by the site's 50 minutes from San Jose claim. Tricky from the get-go, it seemed. This $115 taxi ride was just the start of it. Once at the resort, I was treated as a respected guest(as I am a Hilton Diamond Member), which seemed like a good start.
I learned quickly that not one person employed at the resort cared to be helpful or make my experience suprisingly enjoyable. The staff treats guests(well, at least American guests) like an ATM. Every question about leavig the resort, whether for tourism excursions or simply exploring areas of the island, were met with $100+++ price. No options or explanations are given, just dollar figures. It seems that each staff member at the resort has their go-to taxi drivers or tourism specialists that they receive kick-backs from. Apparently, I wasn't told when making reservations that I should bring a briefcase of $20,000 with me if I planned on leaving the resort. Sorry, I exaggerate, however, it would have cost me over $2000 to do what I had liked to do. That's counting $600-800 in cab fare. I'm sorry but I was under the impression that I was visiting a third-world country, not Dubai.
Resort:
As for the resort, I'd compare it to an average Ramada-style hotel. It was clean, furnished, but in need of updates. It seems that luck was not on my side during the time I stayed. There were covered walk ways that were being repaired, thus closed, as was the casino. The beach is a definite let down as well. I live in NJ and believe the Jersey shore is actually nicer...and that's not a pride-ridden compliment. It's not often I can pay compliments to the Jersey shores. There were literally NO people on the beach. It was clear that all were in agreement as to the poor quality of the beach/water.
Food:
The all-inclusive food was average, but mostly of Costa Rican fare. Gather your appetite for rice, beans, and local harvested fruit and vegetables. Don't expect to see anything that you might actually catch on a menu when eating out in America or abroad. I do suggest this resort and it's food for those looking for an opportunity to diet. You will gladly walk past most of their offerings and go to bed hungry. I lost about 10 pounds in Costa Rica.
In summary, SAVE YOURSELF....go elsewhere in Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Find another resort!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Traveling179
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director of Operations at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Dear Traveling179:

First of all, I would like to greet you on behalf of all the staff at Doubletree Resort by Hilton Central Pacific – Costa Rica.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your point of view. We value your comments and suggestions because they are a vital part of our growth. We already shared your concerns with the Management Team.

According your opinion about tours or living the resort recommendation from our staff is because usually the tourist ask wish places are nicest to visit in Costa Rica, so we provide regular information, besides the price depend of the agency not from the hotel. Even the transportation corresponded to the agencies when we provide specially information is because are trusted and recommended by the tourists themselves.

Thank again for your feedback.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I came here in May 2012 for 3 nights. It's an okay layout with not that friendly staff, VERY surprising as my boyfriend is a local. The food was not great but the room was clean, and oooo the cookie you get upon arrival kinda makes up for all of it! As I said in the title, come here only if its the only all inclusive you can afford. Costa Rica is very pricey and trust, going somewhere not inclusive will likely run you a lot more than you were hoping. Oooh plus, so you dont spend hours looking for them like we did... the hammocks are by the beach, by building # 1... not ON the beach tho

Room Tip: Definitly pay the difference for a room described as only being possible to be in building # 3 '...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Anna R
Dear Anna:

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay in our Resort. It is always such a joy to realize that our Doubletree cookie is always loved by our guests, because it represents our warm and caring service.

We are glad to know that you enjoyed the beach front hammocks, and the highlighting for the room cleanliness, and at the same time you enjoyed the accessibility of our all inclusive rates, and sharing your nice experience in the Resort.

We really appreciate your visit and for sharing your point of view with Trip Advisor network.

Also consider these accommodations in or near El Roble
#2 of 41 in Jaco
Barcelo Tambor
Barcelo Tambor
#2 of 6 in Tambor

Been to Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica? Share your experiences!