Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica
Hotel Portobello(Punta Arenas)
$69
  • Restaurant
Costa del Sol Restaurante & Hotel(Puerto Caldera)(Great Value!)
$64
  • Beachfront
Hotel Alamar(Punta Arenas)
$59
$57
Hotel Las Brisas(Punta Arenas)
$93
Hotels.com
Cabinas Oasis(El Roble)
Hotel Tioga(Punta Arenas)
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Alamar Aparthotel(Punta Arenas)
2,960 results
All reviewsseafood restaurantcosta ricasan josezip liningdouble treenachostortuga islandnegative reviewscentral pacificlounge chairsarenal volcanorented a carhamburgertour guideopen airhour drivea lot of fun
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Stayed at the Doubletree Resort in late august of 2011, and what a great stay it was. We stayed in a ground floor junior suite, with a view of the ocean from building 2. The room was huge, with a nice jacuzzi tub, and an amazing king size bed. In fact I think I almost liked the bed more than my own. The hotel and property overall is beautiful and very well maintained. The pools are perfect temperature, the rooms were very clean and the food was amazing. We ate at the seafood restaurant and were amazed with the quality of service and food. The main resataurant which is a HUGE buffet is also very nice, with tonnes of variety and excellent food breakfast lunch and dinner.
The resort itself is situated about 10 minutes from downtown puntarenas so you have to take a cab or a guide for any tours, but aside from this I couldn't have been more satisfied with my stay.
Very friendly staff that are willing to go way beyond to help you out and improve your stay, and amazing cookies that they give out at check in. I would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Junior suite is a huge improvement over regular rooms
2  Thank Ben C
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2011

Dear Ben C

Our culture of CARE is in our heart. For us, the Guest experience has always been just as important as the product and services we provide. And so, at DoubleTree by Hilton Puntarenas Costa Rica, we have a strong and vibrant system of timeless values that inspire and empower our Team Members to make an effort in order to provide exceptional service to our Guests each and every day.

As a General Manager, I have seen our Team Member´s effort, providing special comforts and acts of kindness that makeS the traveler feel human again, this is our Promise, and this is our commitment. I have had the great privilege of working with this excellent team and they are truly great. This is my team, always smiling!

I invite you to begin your journey in our Resort, your starting point to enjoy the adventure of Costa Rica.

Best wishes,

Ricardo Rodríguez Gil

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our initial rooms were musty smelling (finally was able to secure another room after two days) and hours to check in. As an all-inclusive the food choices were poor, food was only just passable, there was a very large beach but the water was unswimmable, too many kids in the adult pool, kids were not well disciplined in the Family pool with the swim up bar, alcoholic beverage quality was terrible (cheap)although one could drink all they desired, and it was in an area where it was recommended not to venture past the security entrance. The hotel undoubtedly catered to local or Spanish guests. This is absolutely not typical of Doubletree hotels and my complaints to Hilton management went unacknowledged.

Room Tip: Do not take a room on the ground floor even if it appears convenient and perservere in getting an upper floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PA_Ridgeman
DoubletreePuntarenas, Director General at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2011

Dear PA_Ridgeman

We are really concern with your comments about our resort, we regret for not meeting your expectations with the quality of the Food and Beverages, you can be sure that when you share this information with us, we are going to take the necessary actions to do the in order to improve even more our guests experience and satisfaction at any time during their stay. We would have like for you to let us know about your concerns while you stayed with us. I am sure our Food and Beverage Manager would have loved to prepare something special for you, according to your liking in order to make your stay more enjoylable and comfortable.

Something that really characterize our hotel is the volcanic sand beach which makes part of our tropical scenery, typically of the Pacific part of our country, because we care, we make some suggestion to our guests before leaving our boundaries to take some precautions, as any place around the world you should follow some recommendations when you are in a foreigner country.

Thank you very much for sharing your review with all the Trip Advisor Family, it will be greatly apreacited for all of them as the same way for us.

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Reviewed September 2, 2011

My new wife and I stayed here for our honeymoon, we are HHonors Gold members and were treated accordingly at check-in, i.e. taken to the HHonors office. We got a nice room on the ground floor of Building 3 right next to the pool. The all inclusive nature of the hotel is ok, but the food isn't always great at every meal but you generally can find something you can eat. The pool bars were nice and the two restaurants very good, although we could only book then once each during our stay. There are good tour operators right outside the entrance of the hotel, they can help with anything you wish to do. We really enjoy Costa Rica and will definitely go back, not sure it will be Puntarenas but if it is we'll stay at this property again.

2  Thank MLS_8
DoubletreePuntarenas, Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear MLS_8,

Thank you very much for your positive comments. It is wonderful to know that you had a memorable experience celebrating your honeymoon in our Resort and in Costa Rica, a place without artificial ingredients in the happiest country in the world.

We like to provide to our guests, the best memories, offering a great variety of food and themes dinners,as the same way a lot of fun with activities during the day and differents shows every night, and also, we love to give some more extra, to our Hhonors members, thank you for your loyalty.

We hope to have you back, soon.

Best Regards,

Oscar Rojas Soto
Operations Director

Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed here with my husband at the end of an 8 day visit to Costa Rica. Check-in was not crowded because we arrived very early; I was a little disappointed that even though we arrived early we still were not able to check into the hotel any earlier than the 4 pm check-in time. Most hotels make an effort to get you a clean room as soon as possible, not so at this hotel- even being a Silver Hilton honor member. We stayed in the newest building, number 3. The room was very nice, as was the view from the balcony. The rest of the resort was very clean and well looked after. The staff was very friendly and helpful, they were quick to provide us with additional internet passwords and to help us find our way around. This resort is very family friendly; the majority of the guests staying there were Costa Rican families with children, including very young children. If you do not want to be around children do not to go this resort but if you have children, I imagine they will love the children’s swimming pool and activities. The food in the two specialty restaurants, one seafood restaurant and one Latin cuisine restaurant, were delicious, really the best food at a resort I have ever had. Drinks at the bars were OK, on the light side, also they liquor they use is not the best. The wine served at the seafood restaurant was quite bad but the wine at the Latin restaurant was very good. There were some drawbacks that will keep me from returning to this resort. First, because I am a Hilton honors member we received free wi-fi, but if you are not a member you will have to pay which is a bit unusual these days. Also the internet does not work everywhere in the resort. Internet is important to us as my husband has to do business while we are traveling. Second, the buffet food was terrible, I have been to several resorts and this was the worst buffet I have had. Service in the buffet restaurant was poor, we were only waited on for drinks one time out of six meals, it seemed most people were waited on, but not us. Also, when standing in line for food I was cut in front of almost every time, you have to be very aggressive. Lastly, I like to swim in the ocean but the beach at this resort is very dirty and does not look safe, this was a huge disappointment. Check-out takes a long time and gets very crowded. Prepare ahead of time for this if you have a driver waiting. I believe this resort is about right for the money; perhaps a bit overpriced. It is not a 4 star resort and I am disappointed that I used all of my Hilton honors points on this 3-night stay. As a side note: I highly recommend booking tours with the tour agency outside of the resort, across the street, they were very helpful and we were able to book a same day tour with them and the guide was very knowledgeable and helpful, and the tours cost less than in the hotel, as does their transportation back to San Jose.

4  Thank atravelerr
DoubletreePuntarenas, General Manager at Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Dear traveler

Thank you very much for bringing these issues to our attention, because in that way , we may address our improvements areas.

I really sorry that your check out process was not as efficient and fast as you would have expected, I am very concerned about your comment because we have an exclusive Hilton Honnors desk, as well, in where our Hhonors members can check-in and check out easy and fast.

You can be assured that we will review your experience with the Front Desk staff in order to improve even more our quality and services.

The main reason that part of the ocean water looks brown is only because of the river near by that during the rainy season brings some mood into the sea, however you can rest assure that the water is 100 % free of pollution. I invite all the Tripadvisor Family to give us the opportunity to show this beautiful and tropical scenary, unique around the world and I encourage to give yourself a chance to experience different emotions.

Our resort has been honored because of its proximity to main tourist attractions in the country, if you decide to visit us " Do not leave our country without enjoying the wonders that we have, so do not forget your camera, and be prepared to take that tour of your life, in a Costa Rica without artificial ingredients".

Best Wishes,

Ricardo Rodriguez Gil

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed there with my wife for our 10th anniversary Aug.7-11.
Everything was perfect - we have no complaints. Staff was friendly, helpful, polite, spoke fluent English etc.
We had a warm welcome from the front desk and especially we want to thank Cecilia, who was really friendly and also gave us all the information we needed and so on.
The room in building 3 was perfrct, big size, had everything we needed. And of course, the roomservice was great, making us towel-animals every morning :)
The territory was clean, there were plenty of places to be, to eat, to snack, to drink. And the food was delicious. There was something different every time we went to eat. And of course the special dinners in different styles were just perfect. We also visited one a´la carte (The Latin American one), and we also loved that dinner!
Also great thanks from us to the Guest Service, and especially Gabriela, who also helped us with different questions and surprised us with special card and chocholate for our anniversary! - so thank you Gabriela!!!
Our experience with this hotel was great and we´d defenitely go back, when visiting Costa Rica.
And if you need any kind of help with transportation or just a local guide and a friend, then ask the front desk to call Freddy Medina, the local taxi driver - he knows everything about anything and can take you to any tours you like! Thank you Freddy!

Kristjan and Marina from Estonia

Room Tip: Room suggestion would be building 3, as this is the one we know best!
3  Thank kradik

Dear Kristjan and Marina

It is delightful for all of us to read your wonderful comments about our service. We thank you for having chosen our resort as your preferred destination in Costa Rica.

Your appreciation of our facilities, services and staff has a great meaning for us and for everybody who read the Trip Advisor suggestions. I will personally share with all the staff that makes your stay pleasant and memorable, and your kind words about their service are so useful for them as a motivation tool.

Please let us know about your next visit, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Doubletree Resort by Hilton Costa Rica again.

Best regards,