“Need to chill out and de-stress? Look no further...”
Review of Avalon Inn

and 1 more site!
Avalon Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Mandrem B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Avalon Inn is the perfect place to relax and let all your worries and stress fall away. We arrived exhausted from bustling Delhi, and the first thing that struck us was the peace and quiet.

Erika is a kind and caring hostess who takes excellent care of her guests. Although the season was just starting when we arrived, she arranged for a nearby restaurant to open especially for us. The chef was happy to source the freshest, most delicious fish of the day, and cooked it perfectly. Erika also took us on a tour of the beach and surrounding area when we arrived, recommending things to see and do in the village.

We stayed in Pearl Cottage, which was spotlessly clean and charming. The solar-powered open-air shower was a delight, as was the beautifully maintained garden. We came to relax, and there were lots of nearby beach restaurants, cafes, and bars, but these were all low-key, chilled hang-outs rather than buzzing bars: exactly what we wanted.

Needless to say, we headed back to Delhi with a rosy glow and plans to return very soon...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Philippa B
There are newer reviews for Avalon Inn

Reviewed April 5, 2011

Immaculately maintained bamboo huts surrounded by green grass, cashew and fruit trees and very short pleasant walk to the beach. I had wanted to be right on the beach but I was happier staying at Avalon! Erika was a wonderful hostess, she took care of everything and offered lovely conversation and things to do. Quiet location, but close to all restaurants and action. Breakfast was simple fresh and the chai rose tea made my tastebuds want to party!(very delicious) I enjoyed the experience in this small operation, made our stay much more enjoyable than at a larger hotel or resort.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank Glitteryshrimp
Reviewed February 9, 2011

My trip to Goa and my stay at Avalon Inn were so perfect. I was taken in so warmly and treated almost like a family member. The huts are very clean with a nice domestic atmosphere. And in the evening, an incredibly beautiful light comes through the weaving material of the walls. One can quietly listen to the sounds of the Indian night and then wake up to sunshine and a nice breakfast made especially for you.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 28, 2011

From my point of view second best beach in Goa (Agonda being No.1), but I love places where crowds don't gather. If you look for crowds go to Anjuna or Palolem. Avalon Inn is definitely the best place in Goa, the cleanest one and the most beautiful one and with Erika’s help and advice on literally everything the place where you would like to spend your vacations!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2011

Small group of romantic cottages set away in a well kept garden a short stroll from the beach.

At Avalon you will get amazing service by Erika and please do try the natural breakfast - it is delicious!

All in all we had a wonderful stay, the only thing to keep in mind for tall Scandinavian travellers are the beds in India are in general shorter than at home :)

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2010

The title of this review came to my mind simply because I visited Avalon Inn right after a major electric car exhibition I arranged in Helsinki. Just like the rest of our organizing team, I was simply exhausted, and used my last drops of energy while getting to Goa.

Due to Finnair pilot's strike, my journey was delayed with an extra 24h and I was quite stressed when I landed to Goa airport. First big relief was a conscientious taxi driver who was sent to pick me up by Ms. Schantz, the Lady in the House of Avalon Inn. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs to drive from the airport, and during that drive it became obvious to me that I would've lost my nerve completely if I tried to get to Mandrem on my own. The traffic is somewhat.., scary. You get used to it soon, but first day you get a bit shocked.

As the name says, Avalon Inn is not a hotel, but a Bread&Breakfast kinda place. I had my doubts, since I'm a bad sleeper, waking up a dozen times a night, and the accommodation was a bamboo hut with practically no sound isolation. Well,.. after a warm welcome by the people of the Inn, a quick dip in the Indian Ocean and a good meal in a restaurant at the beach, I remember hearing the grasshoppers chirping in the bushes a minute or so,.. and waking up in the next morning, more alive than ever.

So, I got used to the hut right away, and the sounds of the surrounding nature were relaxing. Okay, once in a while you can hear someone flushing the toilet in the hut next to yours, but it didn't bother me. Besides, you can hear the Indian Ocean flushing the sands of Mandrem Beach,.. which is only a few hundred meters away.
There are yoga centers and massage and all kinds of relaxation services available within walking distance, and when you want to go to the markets or the capital, for example, the Avalon Inn has contracts with reliable taxi drivers who not only take you to places, but also look after you.

Summary: if you want to party party party and need a constant pulse of a disco scene, Mandrem is a village too small for you.
But, if you need to relax and recover, then it's the right place for you, and the Avalon Inn is a good choice as a home base.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2010

This place is a paradise ...I traveled & stayed here with my friends for 3 days!
well.. Erika is the friendliest host i have ever met..her service was excellent ...about mandrem villege ..the villege is clean ,calm & has several beautiful beaches around it...i miss avalon inn & planning to revisit this beautiful place again & again...

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandrem
Riva Beach Resort
#8 of 12 in Mandrem
L'Amore Beach Cottages
L'Amore Beach Cottages
#2 of 12 in Ashvem Beach

Been to Avalon Inn? Share your experiences!