“Terrible”

Ranked #8 of 8 Carentan B&B and Inns
Pateley Bridge, United Kingdom
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I totally agree with the other review about being ignored and the French getting served before us. We ordered a 3 course meal, the soup came and then after the dishes were taken away it was half an hour before we realised that we just were not going to get out 2nd course!! after trying to attract the attention of the waiters and waitresses, that were rude and ignored us, we finally got our last 2 courses. Having read these other reviews I realise that it must happen all the time and I would not recommend this place. The food was nice and good value but the service was dreadful.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ang L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Swanmore, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We came here for dinner. The service was awful and the waiter (apparently one of the owners) was very rude and offhand. We ordered a bottle of white wine which was room temperature and had to ask for an ice bucket to cool it down. Overall extremely disappointing.

Room Tip: We did not stay - only ate in the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Carentan hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Four of us were on a cycling tour of the the D Day beaches and were booked in for one night at the Hotel Le Vauban which is a nice hotel just up the road. Unfortunately this hotel does not have a restaurant so the very helpful lady on reception there said we could try the L'Escapade Hotel for a meal.
What a disaster!! It was like something out of Faulty Towers! The waiter and I assume the manager, both wore straw 'pork pie' style hats, had an attitude problem and were extremely rude. We noticed that French people sitting down after us were being served well before us. Being a group of four we all checked that it wasn't just one of us imagining everything but the waiter actually went out of his way to ignore us. The food was sub standard, service was appalling and I would strongly recommend that you give this place a very wide berth!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Des S
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

I arrived at l'escapade as passing trade on my way up to the ferry in Cherbourg.

First the negatives
I arrived at lunch time and the staff were obviously very busy. The man on reception was a little frazzled and the welcome was not as warm as I would expect. However, I was quickly allocated a room. The hotel was in the middle of decorating and the stairs were covered with bits of damp wallpaper. This was a little dangerous and I think that for safety reasons someone should have offered to carry my bag. I also ended up hitting my head on sme scaffolding over the stair way.

The positives ( which outweigh the negatives)
The room was very comfortable and extremely reasonably priced. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable that I have slept in. The wifi was free and excellent. Carentan is a beautiful town with a lovely walk along the estuary. I had dinner in the restaurant and it was fantastic. I had been in France for three weeks prior to this and l'escapade was by far the best meal I had during my holiday. The portions were huge and the quality was very good. I had a very tasty country salad which would have been a meal on its own for a starter, then I had a Normandy chicken which was exactly as it should be. The waiting staff were very efficient.

I don't usually write reviews but after reading all the negative reviews for this hotel I felt I should stand up for them. I didn't notice any of the abusive or anti English behaviours that other reviewers have mentioned. I do speak quite good French and I am from Northern Ireland not England but I sat beside to two non French speaking English men at dinner and they were treated very well. Waiting staff made every effort to translate the menu for them and ensure they had what they wanted.

All in all this is a hotel that I would return to just for the food.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bronagh80
Richmond upon Thames, UK
Reviewed April 20, 2012

Lovely robust good value food in dining room full of locals. Hotel room newly decorated, though small. Most staff very friendly, let down only by spectacularly rude receptionist who clearly blamed me when the credit card machine refused all three of my working cards.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Ennis, Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My husband and ate here last night and it was a horrible experience. One of the waitresses was just so rude it was unbelievable. First of all, we barely had a chance to read the menu and she almost forced us to choose certain dishes. We had three courses each, a carafe of wine and aperatifs but we were still finished within an hour as the courses arrived too quickly. On two occasions, the waitress tried to take away my husband's plate though it was clear he was still eating. And it wasn't as if the place was full and they needed the table. We were the only foreigners there and all the French seemed to be treated much better. There was a French couple seated near us and they too were appaled by the waitress's ignorant manner. On one occasion, the gentleman actually criticised the waitress for her rude behaviour towards us but it didn't make much difference. Her very last act ( just before we left) was to hit my husband with a plate as she was clearing up. Her half-hearted apology suggested that this act was very deliberate. As we were paying our bill, another waiter asked if we'd enjoyed our meal and when I mentioned the rude waitress, he agreed with me but said there was nothing he could do about her as he was not the boss.
The food was awful too, probably the worst we've ever had in France and we're frequent visitors.
My advice is ; Avoid this place at all costs if you are English speaking. I'd gladly starve rather than eat here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ann M
Hampshire
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We were taken aback by how unfriendly the young couple who served us were. We felt most unwelcome, especially when the young man told another table how the English call the French people 'frogs' and looked sneeringly at us. The young girl took ages to serve us, even though there were only another 2 tables occupied. She was very curt and did not smile. I read that one of the other reviewers felt their experience was poor because they did not speak good french. Well that's me too although I do try, but my partner does speak good french so I think they just don't like British people for some reason.
The rustic salad starter was quite interesting as it had a cold poached egg on the top with a runny centre. However the steak was not much good. It was gristley and very chewy. Definitely a place to avoid in my book.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PosterHampshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carentan
Kyriad Carentan
#1 of 1 in Sainte-Marie-du-Mont
Le Clos Castel
Le Clos Castel
#1 of 8 in Carentan

Been to L'Escapade? Share your experiences!