“Charming, small establishment”
Review of L'Auberge Normande

L'Auberge Normande
Ranked #4 of 8 Carentan B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 23, 2012

4 of us - 3 rooms. Ours was the 'handicapped' room just off the outdoor dining area. Large room, large bathroom but no doors around the shower. Water drain in the floor but still floor would be wet after a shower. Slippery when wet, not sure how that is good for someone who must have a handicapped bathroom. For us, it was ok but you had to get down on the floor to dry it prior to moving around in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable. It's hit and miss with the housekeeping, one day no towels, on arrival a dirty tea cup in the room, etc...But just ask for what you need and it's no problem.
Breakfast buffet with more than enough. Again, hit and miss - long periods of time to have the croissant basket refilled, coffee carafes would sit empty, but all you had to do was ask and whatever you needed would be provided. It's sorta like 'at home' where you get it yourself, but not.
We didn't eat dinner any of the 4 nights we stayed at L'Auberge. We,nightly, drug 2 tables from a walkway which did double duty as a storage room for tables and chairs and went shopping in town for our dinners. The staff of the hotel did not mind, and gladly provided place settings for our in-room picnics.
Yes, the staff sits outside the kitchen, hidden by bushes, smoking and also having their meals al fresco. They were not loud over the 4 nights we were there and our room within just feet of their outdoor space.
Overall, I'd stay there again, it's so charming. Very little English spoken but a few of the younger staff would try to speak with us in English and did not laugh at our poor attempts to speak French.

Room Tip: In another wing, there is a studio - 2 floors with big bathtub in the center of the floor under a sk...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mimaboy
There are newer reviews for L'Auberge Normande

Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

The room was clean and modern. The bed was very comfortable. The staff smoking under the bedroom window was an annoyance though. The meal from the restaurant was excellent and reasonably priced. Would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 22, 2012

The room was comfortable but was spoilt by the noisy staff who sat outside drinking and smoking until the early hours.
The menu was pretentious and the food was nothing like its description in the menu. My fish was so overcooked that it was completely inedible. Both my husband and I suffered from upset stomachs after dinner. At breakfast we were seated at the same table which still had the spilt candle wax on the cloth from the night before.
We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jellybean514
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Arrived one wet night from Paris. The rooms were very spacious and the bathrooms were very good. The breakfast was an experience. There were no cereal bowls, and when I asked for four I was given what was the nearest thing to a bucket. Again asked for four bowls, I was given four dirty bowls. Once again I tried and was eventually given four clean? bowls. There was no coffee, no milk and limited other food. I had to ask for everything from the staff who were more interested in being in the yard smoking rather than serving in the hotel.

It was like the owners had gone away and left the children in charge, who had no interest.

There was no car park and my car was vandalised by being keyed outside the hotel. It was the only car damaged which was parked outside the hotel. I would not go there again.

Room Tip: Avoid the breakfast
Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Tommypower
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My son and I spent two nights here. Our accomodation had two seperate bedrooms with a bathroom and was quite roomy. On our arrival the bar was closed but we were told that the Hotel 100m down the road, owned by the same people, was still open. We trundled down returning some 40 minutes in the pouring rain only to find the reception area unmanned at night in defference to a key pad entance system. We were not told this (or the code) and had to hastily return to the Hotel in order to find the barman who had served us, who then gave us the code.
The morning breakfast consisted of a half broken french stick, a shot glass of fruit and some cold coffee with some marmalade for the bread. When I complained (9 euros for this) I was told that if there are fewer than four guests the buffet is not available despite still being 9 euros. I also note another posting regarding the lack of milk in the complimentary package, this was certainly the case with us and despite protestations got nowhere. I got the impression the accomodation was run by a bunch of bairns who were suiting themselves and generaly very lazy as I never saw any adults, the coming and going of when the staff could and could not speak English was quite entertaining. Hope you enjoyed your wee laugh L'Auberge but due to fine websites like this one, who's having a wee laugh now ?

Room Tip: Not the one at the front ! Directly above a traffic light on the main road with large diesel trucks...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Gazza061
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Just spent two nights at this Normandy auberge,- lovely, modern,stylish room (totally unlike any french logis we've visited before), excellent evening meals and two very good breakfasts but the service!!!
Room not ready on arrival at 6.00 pm, not offered a place to sit and wait as they were still clearing up from Sunday afternoon lunches, a charmless greeting by two staff. This was followed by a lovely evening meal (quality of cooking not service) punctuated by hot gravy (they say jus) dripping over my shoulder and arm as my steak was served. I rapidly changed shirts but no complimentary drink or offer to launder the shirt (or even to enquire if it was ruined!!).On the next day there was no-one to greet or explain breakfast procedures (breakfast was very good).
The next night, although the menu hadn't changed, the food again was lovely and the waiter who'd spilled the gravy kept his distance. Final breakfast, and what a transformation! A cheerful greeting from an extremely helpul woman who couldn't do enough for us and a lovely breakfast to send us on our way.

Room Tip: There's a more expensive and spacious room on the ground floor (see website) with french windows...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank elpee182
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We booked one of the cheaper rooms and although spartan it was spacious and had a large comforable bed although a 2nd chair/seat would have been good. We were quite happy with the room.
Unfortunately the food was very poor and did not live up to the expectation from reading the menu or the style of the dinning room. My wife and i had different dishes and both were poorly executed and from what I saw going past to other tables theirs did not look any better. I would summarise it as 'style over substance' The breakfast was fine though.
We were on demi pension and had planned to stay again on our way back but cancelled due to the food quality and the fact that there was limited choice in the included menu but to have the cheaper menu was going to cost more!
The staff were also a bit offhand except the one at breakfast. As were were leaving in the morning the reception area smelt strongly of fish - not a good sign!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carentan
Hotel le Vauban
#1 of 1 in Colleville-sur-Mer
Hotel de France
Hotel de France
#1 of 1 in Isigny-sur-Mer

Been to L'Auberge Normande? Share your experiences!