“very nice stay”
Review of White Hart Hotel

White Hart Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Launceston
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Surprisingly good after reading previous reviews. Very quiet in our room and we overslept. Good food at good prices, breakfast was superb. Room was good value for money. Friendly staff and unpretentious hotel.

Room Tip: our room was above the bar during a function, no problems whatsoever.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gary h

Reviewed December 29, 2011

I attended a function here and was dismayed at how shabby the whole place was but was truly amazed when our very young granddaughter locked herself in one of the loos and couldn't get out. We were told by a member of staff "that they were too busy to help at the moment and to try and sort the problem out ourselves"! We did. Don't set foot in the place!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bleweth
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I live locally and used to put up family and friends in this establishment. Each and every one of them complained about the place and I would not set foot in this Hotel,nor recommend it.
The staff are rude and unhelpful. One mini skirted receptionist, underwear on full display, was so rude to my disabled Father that I removed my parents from the Hotel immediately. Most of the staff have worked there for many years and are stuck in a time warp...their idea of hospitality leaves very much to be desired. All in all this place needs a good clean up and the staff should be the first to go.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank anne t
Reviewed September 24, 2011

After reading previous reviews my experience was was no more or less than I expected. To be fair I had a good night's sleep in a room that was at best acceptable. However the hotel is undeniably shabby and grubby. This manifests itself by, for example, upholstery in the souless bar patched up by black tape, grubby carpets and mildew on bathroom fittings. The bar is perhaps one of the least inviting areas you would want to eat or drink in - not helped by bar staff serving locals ahead of other people waiting. I went out to eat elsewhere! On a positive note the breakfast was good and the waitress was very pleasant, helpful and attentive.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Simon1603
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Due to previous reviews, it was with some trepidation that we booked in here on the August bank holiday weekend, but we were working in a nearby town, needed 6 rooms and there was little else available.

I really shouldn't have had any cause for concern.

The welcome we received on arrival was warm and friendly and they were more than happy to liaise with the chef for us in order to adjust our breakfast time due to the hours we were working.

My own room was incredible and was a suite rather than a room. I've never had my own doorbell to a hotel room before! The bathroom was huge and the whole suite was extremely comfortable. The bed was firm, but it was fantastic to sleep on.

The breakfast was cooked to order, as well as cereals, toast and juices and this, too, was very pleasant.

Past reviewers have criticised this hotel for slanting floors and walls and creaky floorboards. More often, this is known as "charm" and "character" - and often something you pay more for! If I live as long as this building has, then I dare say I'd be a bit slanted and creaky too!

For what we paid, it was perfectly acceptable and I'd have happily stayed a week. It is somewhat dated, but it's equally charming, comfortable and a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank NickyWiltshire
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We knew when we booked this hotel that it was cheap. We were supporting a charity cycle so minimal cost was important. However, having walked through the front door I would have been happy walking straight back out and booking into somewhere else was it not for the fact that we had 4 rooms booked. The yound lady on reception was very welcoming and helpful. We were told how to get to our room which was right at the other end. Upstairs and down very long dark corridors. Sloping floors, dirty looking carpet which runs through out. Through numerous fire doors. Different smells in different sections. Dentist smell, curry smell, dirty damp smell. No flower smells......Arrived at our suite????. Filled with false hope. Horrible. Bed linen appeared clean but furniture was 70's, swirly brown carpet, looked and felt dirty. Kept my shoes on to walk around and to the avocado bathroom suite. Plastic spoons.....! Net curtains and rotting window. Oh and dark blue wallpaper. A brown flowery arm chair just dumped in the middle of the floor.

Down in the bar there was a mish mash of chairs, most of the fixed chairs had gaffa tape keeping the fabric together where the foam was poking out from thread bare material. The tables were sticky and the carpet looked just plain filthy. Cant comment on the food as we ate out for obvious reasons. Breakfast appeared ok. Boys didnt complain too much.

Lady on reception was abrupt and not as pleasant as the day before. Not great as front of house.

I hear what people say about the price but this hotel is in major need of refurbishment just to bring it to an acceptable standard. I would have been happier staying in a travel lodge or similar for the same price. It is a shame that this hotel, a major building in an historic town is getting beyond the point of repair. A very very tired and sad hotel.........!

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank HodgePodge5
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed here for three nights in June. Yes, I was an adult with the school party, but (and this is the really telling bit) would willingly return with hubby for a weekend without a second thought. Rooms were clean, warm and loads of hot water, even enough to completely fill the bath and have a boiling hot soak. Tea and coffee making facilities and a TV. Catching them unawares by announcing I was a vegetarian did not bother them at all. I even had a choice of dishes and the best bit was that they didn't have the common belief that vegetarians eat fish.
Hurray...

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Launceston
Arundell Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lewdown
The Eagle House Hotel
The Eagle House Hotel
#2 of 13 in Launceston

Been to White Hart Hotel? Share your experiences!