“Interesting but it is a work in progress” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Launceston
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Interesting but it is a work in progress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014 via mobile

The whole idea is very worthy.... Engaging children to investigate and being adventurous. It felt a tad amateurish at times but you can see that it is a work in progress. Mind you: if you are like me and do not appreciate trails and walking in mud you will not like it. I saw a family having difficulties with moving a wheelchair around but to be honest I don't know how it was dealt by the staff who seemed very friendly. It depends ultimately on what kind of person you are. My kids absolutely loved it and want to go back!!!! Perhaps that's the best review!

2 Thank Ninotchka120765

Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Five hours of fully interactive fun - fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

It was our first visit today (2 adults, 2 eight year olds and two seven year olds) and we were thoroughly impressed! Reasonable entry price, good facilities and a great concept - having arrived at 11.30, the boys were kept busy with the Sherlock Trail, the Indiana trail, the Vault and the Maze. Lots of great teamwork, puzzle solving and map reading which they were all able to contribute to, followed by a picnic lunch in one of the two well equipped play areas. Then on to the train, Hobbit House and fun in the crazy Mansion House which we had to go round 3 times as they loved it so much! We left at 5 with four tired but happy boys.

I liked the over arching 'industrial/vintage' theme to the site starting with the waterwheel at the entrance and carried through to the items which made up the clues on the Sherlock Trail - we had great fun explaining how to use the dial on the old telephone in the kiosk! It was refreshing to see a small, but well-selected variety of items in the shop instead of the usual tourist tat and although we didn't have time to eat in the cafe, the cakes looked very tempting.....

I would like to see more picnic benches in the future and agree with some of the other comments here that the pathways are potentially tricky, but I'm sure that these things will be addressed in time as and when the site develops further. All in all, a novel concept delivered well and at a great price - we'll be back soon!

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Cathy J
Cornwall, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hidden gem! ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I live locally to HiddenValley and decided it was about time to visit! Having read the reviews I was unsure what to expect as I had read 'rustic, muddy etc'! In fact, in my opinion I found it to be modern and immaculately presented in beautiful grounds. We spent 4 hours here and were kept busy the whole time. I had a 7 and a 13 year old who thoroughly enjoyed it. I would thoroughly recommend this.

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Mixed opinions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Very clean and tidy, felt that the site as a whole was slightly off the mark and although it had some great ideas it lacked in the execution of them. The site has no real theme to it, leaving it with giving you a bitty experience, the Mansion is a very cool idea, but was a little basic and needed more character and filling up a little more to make it feel like a real home as opposed to a show house on a new development.

The play area is nice along with the railway.

The Hobbit house is a bit of a let down, just the one room with again not much in the way of character.

The whole area could do with some additional seating areas for adults to sit while children played. Parking needs improving also.

The Vault came across as been billed as the star attraction? Having time slots and queues, however this was a real let down...swapping some wires around, switching some lights on and a simple subtraction puzzle left me a bit deflated to be honest..... The crystal Maze it was not.

The gift shop again had no kind of theme, selling items such as world war 2 books and knights but having no real connection with them. As I have said this place had the potential to be a great little place to visit, offering something a little different. However it just failed to deliver the goods.

Bude, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Value for money and loads of fun.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

A great family day out and a good brain workout too. This is my families third visit to this attraction and I was a little apprehensive after the expansion work done. Need not have worried Hidden Valley has improved but managed to keep its simple formula essence. The new mansion is lots of fun, but quite glad that I personally didn't have to crawl through the small spaces, lots of fun for my eleven year old though. Love the way they have incorporated the quiz into it. Then it was back to the main two trails. The one for ages 12+ certainly caused some head scratching, and it was often the younger one who found the clue attached to the bottom of a tree or in an obscure place, giving him the bragging rights about solving it. We did the Indiana trail too, although that was clearly for the younger ones and was age appropriate. Can't wait until they change the clues again and we can go back. Well worth the money and not a thrill ride in sight. Well done Hidden Valley. My only thought is it really is not a very wheelchair or pushchair friendly place unfortunately.

Visited August 2014