“A charming place to visit”

Tamar Otter and Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Launceston
Reviewed August 11, 2014

My family (2 boys aged 5 and 7) really enjoyed our visit to this venue - it's compact but there's actually quite a lot to see. Wasn't over-crowded either. Nice to see the otters up close and listen to the keepers during feeding. My kids enjoyed the opportunity to hold a kestrel and to walk around with deer and wallabies (!) wandering freely close by. Recommended as a morning or afternoon activity for a family - I would suggest you go in dry weather though as it is all outdoors.

1  Thank photomanUK
in 25 reviews
"wander around"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed August 10, 2014

The staff are very knowledgeable about the Birds Of Prey and the Otters and have about four talks/feeding sessions a day. The majority of the animals are Otters and the pens are designed so you can see them eating, swimming and playing. You can also hold the Birds at the talks and take your own photos. There are numerous cages with other small animals and peacocks, ducks, geese roam around free. In a wooded section, you can feed the deer and look out for wallabies! The day we went it rained but the staff still give talks and answer questions. There is a shop, cafe, toilets and picnic areas.

1  Thank 555BevM
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting this sanctuary for years when holidaying in Cornwall.We love to see the otters playing & swimming. We particularly enjoy feeding the deer, ducks & hens. Although dogs are not allowed in there is designated dog parking which kept our dog lovely& cool. A great place for animal lovers of all ages.

1  Thank Anne H
Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

I took my teenager and 6 year old twins for a morning here. What an awesome place. I've never seen deer so tame and watching the otters feeding time was brilliant.
The cafe was spotlessly clean and served good fresh food. Well worth a visit if you're in the area. I will definitely go again

See more reviews
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We was originally planning to go on a long drive to visit Paignton Zoo, when I see the reviews for Tamar Otter and changed our plans and I'm glad we did ! What a fantastic day out we had. The otters were a delight to watch and so close too. Another highlight was being able to feed a herd of deer. Never seen these animals so near before. The cafe is also worth a visit. Delicious sandwiches all freshly made and tasty pasties. v quick service. Shame we had no room left over for cake ! This place deserves all the high praise. Please visit !