“Fascinating Day”

Tamar Otter and Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Launceston
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Yes, I admit I was sceptical when my husband said we should visit an Otter park while touring in Cornwall, thinking we would be lucky to see one at all and would be a waste of money. How wrong I was. We had a wonderful few hours learning all about the many "cheeky" Otters and their lifestyles/habits. Watching and listening to them getting fed was the highlight of our whole holiday. We also enjoyed the Birds of Prey talk (done by a James Nesbitt lookalike) and the woodland walk surrounded by deer and wallabies. To get the most out of this centre you need to be there at one of the set feeding times. The centre is not over commercialised and all the staff were really friendly and informative with a clear passion for their job.

1  Thank Amos100
"wander around"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed September 24, 2013

There, I said it!
'She' wanted to go to the Tamar Otter centre near Launceston, and I had my reservations. I'm not against trips to wildlife parks, but they don't set my soul on fire either (I think she feels the same about the tank museum I once dragged her to!)

I must admit though that I was thoroughly impressed. The site, which looks small upon entry, has quite a reasonable walk through woodland to see deer, wallaby and other species.

The otter feeding and bird of prey talks were excellent, and the staff very knowledgeable and happy to be there. You could tell they really enjoy what they do, which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Food in the cafe was good, and reasonably priced. We had jacket potatoes and they were well filled and had a nice side salad with them.

We spent a good 3 hours here, and both really enjoyed it. Children would enjoy the day out, as you can get hands on with the birds of prey, plus feed the ducks/geese and fish.

Lots of car parking, on hard standing. Room for a camper van.
Disabled access is good, but woodland trail is a bit hilly/steep in places and probably not wheelchair accessible. However, all the otter pens certainly are.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is a very special gem tucked away not far from Launceston. Today was my 3rd visit, this time with children and my parents. We started with the birds of prey talk, the boys loved holding the kestrel, owl and harrier hawk. The otter feeding was great too.
The sanctuary doesn't feel at all commercial, as many 'brown sign' places do. The café is nice too. The animals were in great condition and the staff friendly and well informed.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a fantastic place to visit and very reasonable cost. There are not just otters but fallow deer and muntjac's roaming freely in the woods together with wallabies. Lovely walks. The Scottish wildcats were too shy so we never got a glimpse. Worth waiting to feed the otters and the birds of prey talks. Very interesting. Nice tea room too. Cannot recommend this place enough as they do a fabulous job.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 13, 2013

This is a great wee attraction. We arrived at feeding time for the otters and enjoyed listening to the knowledgeable guide explain the stories of the individual otters which was nicely interspersed with general factoids. Immediately after than our children demanded their own lunch and so we sat down to eat at one of the pleasant picnic tables dotted around the site. Unfortunately, there are a couple of extremely persistent lunch-begging peacocks whose charms evaporated after about 10 seconds. Fun in retrospect when our daughter (aged just 3) reminisces that peacocks "have beaks instead of noses and they are very rude and one did peck mummy" but frankly it ruined our lunch.

Up until this point we'd not really examined what else this place offered and were really pleasantly surprised. It's an eclectic and slightly barmy mix and all the more charming for it. We wandered freely amongst deer (one of them three legged), wallabies, turkeys and peacocks – the animals are used to humans and approach very close. A wildlife centre with a turkey sounds like a joke but I can assure you they are fascinating at close quarters, particularly the two males working through a dramatic facial colour show and strutting performance. If you’re into birds of prey there’s plenty to see too.

Our two youngsters were enchanted – great for kids.