“Very much worth a visit!”

Tamar Otter and Wildlife Centre
Ranked #1 of 26 things to do in Launceston
Reviewed May 7, 2013

An excellent half day out! I visited this wildlife sanctuary with my girlfriend today, we had very little information beforehand and I was very pleasantly surprised by this excellent wildlife centre!

We arrived just before 11.30 am and were greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable member of staff who provided us with a map, a brief description of the sanctuary & the layout of the centre. She also took time to explain that the bird of prey talk was on at 11.30 & the otter feed and talk was on at 12.00. Please check on http://www.tamarotters.co.uk/generalinfo.html for details of these talks & times as they are really worth seeing.

In particular the bird of prey talk was immense! The handler was very knowledgeable, amusing & keen to get you involved with the birds of prey! I held the kestrel in our visit and he offered all visitors the chance to take the glove and stroke most of the birds. This was unexpected and really interesting as he could demonstrate different parts of the birds phisiology in great detail with a live reference point.

The otter talk was also amusing and very interesting, In particular the otters reaction to feeding time and the response when the feeding was over! Don't think it is just otters though, there are owls, giant rabbits, wildfowl, chipmunks, deer, wallabies and many other animals.

I think the sanctuary is excellent & had obviously been set up with the well being of the animals in mind. They have plenty of room to move around in, especially the wallabies and deer in the forest walk which is set out beautifully. Also the otters pools are fed by a natural stream which was nice to see.

Finally the cafe/tea room is also superb and the food was a decent sized portion. It is well worth having your lunch here, I recommend eating lunch here and then completing the forest walk to finish off the experience!

There are newer reviews for Tamar Otter and Wildlife Centre

Reviewed April 19, 2013

My Wife and I really enjoyed this Wildlife Park. The Staff are really friendly and enjoy telling you about the animals. Although the park is not huge it is well worth the money. Do try and visit just before the otters are being fed as the way they behave when they know that food is coming is very funny.
We arrived at 2.45 pm which meant we saw the birds of prey demonstration followed by the Otter feeding.Note that after feeding the otters disappeared into their holts to sleep it off so anyone visiting after 4.00 pm might not see much of the otters!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife suggested this and it was a great treat and a wonderful time, The staff were fun and open to all questions about the centre. Make sure you are there for the talks on the birds and hear the staff talk about the different Otters, where they come from. Hear the otters being fed. It is so much fun. Make sure you bring the camera or video camera. Great value for a family. £20 for family ticket. 2 adults and 3 children in our case. Great value anyway...

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A lovely otter/ wildlife sanctuary for children and adults. Very knowledgable bird handler who provided a fantastic talk on birds of prey and let the children hold and touch the birds. We watched the otters being fed and fed the deer from our hands. The wallabies we gorgeous and we enjoyed the cream tea. The children loved it. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My partner loves otters and it so happens we were staying close by so a visit here was a must. We were not disappointed it was a great day out. We learnt a lot and saw some beautiful creatures and birds of prey. The talks were very informative and well presented, there were some children present and they seemed to love it and the seemed very interested in the talks as well. So yes I would recommend a visit here regardless of your age. And I would have thought a great venue for school trips /outings as well. The cafe is not bad food was average (well it's not a restaurant ) so all in all very good.