“Top people, great hotel, great location - a must for those in Mui Ne”

Mui Ne Backpacker Village
Ranked #1 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Mui Ne
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Top people, great hotel, great location - a must for those in Mui Ne”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Well, where to start? The beginning. We arrived late at night having taken the bus from Saigon, and my friend and I were weary, hungry and very grumpy. On arrival, at 2am, a very cheery and fully-alert security guard awoke the lovely Linh who checked us in in no time at all.

The hotel/hostel (depending on your room) is in a fantastic location in the centre of town, but still managed to be a quiet, happy and friendly haven from the rest of Mui Ne. The pool is brilliant and a real focus point for hanging out, and the beach area is great; plenty of beds with comfy cushions and a cracking view.

Rooms were good, but the trip was really made by "RaeRae" Rachel the manager of the hotel. I hope they are paying her well enough because she is a real asset and made the place perfectly special. I've stayed in Mui Ne four times before and this was the best value for money and hotel; having an English speaker (or at least the American version of it) always on the front desk really helps. There is also a handy tour organiser next door and the travel buses all stop outside which is handy during the day.

Highly recommended. Would definately go back. This hotel is the centre-point for all European and American travellers (ie not too many Russians). That must suffice for there is a royal baby in the offing and I must watch the BBC until it pops out.

Room Tip: If you can afford it get the bungalow.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
johnjenkinsMuine, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you very much for the great review. You were great to have around the hostel, Rachel was very sad to see you depart. Enjoy the remainder of your travels and all the best with your endeavours in the future. Don't forget to whet the baby's head ... he may be your king one day !!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The surroundings are amassing and just on the beach so one can hear the waves from the rooms. Staff is helpfull and nice. The rooms are though not the best. Beds are hard and the rooms are not the cleanest. There are only little light in the room. No glass in the window so bugs comes in during night time if light is on. The maide gave us dirty towels one day and they took away the bath mat after the first day so bathroom floor wet all the time.

Dear Scott,

Thanks for the review but I'm rather confused as to whether you actually stayed with us. Firstly ... ALL our rooms have glass in the windows !!! If you stayed in a dorm then maybe one of the other guests left the door open at night.Secondly ... unfortunately the housekeeping staff do not speak english so communication between guest and housekeepers can be confusing and difficult. If you were staying in a dorm room then towels were able to be exchanged at reception. In the private rooms the towels are exchanged every 3rd day or on request to reception. Thank you.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I'll start with the good news. The dorm beds are comfy and a really good size. Some of the bathrooms are nice.

Now for the bad news - there is a 30 day cancellation policy, which is totally ridiculous for backpackers (it's a "backpackers" hostel) if you're delayed from transport issues or you want to shorten your stay, you'll be charged, even if you let them know in advance.

The 'manager' is rude and somehow able to be lazy and a complete control freak at the same time. Air con is supposed to go on from 5pm-9am (the manager keeps the control), however, when we stayed, she went out drinking and didn't turn ours on. We went down to try and find her but she had just left a sign on the desk informing new guests to simply leave their passports at the desk. Absolutely ridiculous, and so unsafe.

Ive stayed in some horrible places but the atmosphere created by the manager here made this the worst stay of our trip so far, which is a shame because it could be an awesome place to stay. Find somewhere where you won't get treated like dirt/a 5 year old.

Dear Kate,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed by your comments, they are hasty and misinformed. Rachel, the young lady who works the front desk is there for a minimum of 12 hours per day. We appreciate her diligence and honesty in our absence. She is certainly not lazy. Rachel wrote a response to your comments so I will paste below.

*Kate- I'm sorry if you perceived me as rude and if I upset your experience here at Muine Backpackers, I certainly didn't mean to cause you any offence. In terms of describing me as lazy, I will have to strongly disagree with you. I will say that I'm not at the desk or on duty at the hotel to adjust the air conditioner temperatures past 7:30 pm. I work 7 days a week from 8 AM through out the day until 7:30 PM. This does not constitute me as lazy, just unavailable at the hour you may have needed my assistance. My chief maintenance man, Thanh, turns on the air conditioners to the dorm rooms at 4:45 - 5:00 PM every evening. What most likely happened was the black switch on the wall in your room was turned off by one of your fellow dorm mates which controls the basic power to the air conditioner. When you came down to try to turn it on, the security guard with limited English ability may not have understood you. The sign you saw was our nightly sign of welcoming late night incoming guests and our very trustworthy security guard takes the passports each night and locks them in a very secure location- I assure you and everyone else that it is perfectly safe. I was not "out drinking" as you call it, I was probably having dinner with fellow guests or heading to bed. Please know all your facts before you make rash accusations of other peoples behaviour."
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

I was only staying in Mui Ne for one night to visit the sand dunes and do some water sports. Yes the hostel is in a great location for water sport however the hostel was poor quality for the money paid. The room was clean but there was no lock on the door and the dorm was right next to the main road! The shower was really poor cold and trickled out and the bathroom was used by the very arrogant Australian host Rachel. Was demanded to leave my room by her to come and pay the bill just so she could cash up! When checking out she asked me to go and move my bags to the unlocked baggage room again next to the road, then unknown to me she left my passport on reception desk! Thankfully someone gave it to me. Overall great location but very disappointing for the cost of $10 a night you can do much better elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2013
johnjenkinsMuine, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank you for writing a review. Upon reading your review I was both alarmed and somewhat confused by your comments. The dorm rooms are not locked as each dorm bed has a locker which has a lock and to which the guest has the key. This provides security for your belongings. The room is not on the main road as you allege. There is the reception building and parking area between the dorms and the road. The amount you paid for the one night that you stayed was $8 not $10. The shower pressure has been checked and found to be normal, there is solar hot water. On occasions it may take some time to travel through the pipes ! I found your comments about Rachel to be misleading and rude. Rachel is from the USA not Australia, feedback from other guests are that she is respectful,helpful and sometimes a little boisterous but never arrogant. She used the bathroom in the dorm on one occasion as both the public bathrooms were being used. The security tapes have been checked and we found that your passport was in fact given to you but you left it at the reception desk. It was then given to you travelling companion to be given to you. This situation has been addressed as the passport should only be given to the owner. Please accept my apology on behalf of Rachel. I would also like to point out that we have 24 hour security at the hostel. I also found your comment that the value of our hostel misleading. $8 per night right on the beachfront in the middle of town is very good value. I doubt if you could find a dorm room in the same location. We hope that you enjoy your travel in Vietnam.
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

This is for Backpackers, so if you want luxury, just turn back to the other hotel.
There is a private beach ,.The nabour is a club,and a good restaurant with sea view.
中文:很不错的背包客旅馆,有一个游泳池,不大。有私人海滩,躺椅。隔壁是冲浪俱乐部,旁边是美奈很不错的餐馆,提供粉,炒饭,咖啡等,有海景哦!

• Stayed June 2013
johnjenkinsMuine, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you ... yes, we have a nice beach !!!
Denpasar, Indonesia
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a great 3 nights last year in the end of July.
The hostel offers a nice value for
Money for those who want a beach backpacker place. Good chance to meet many travelers! Great food around the corner and some nice sun bathing next to
The beach on cozy beds.

Only negative aspect for me was the young australian host. Very snobby and arrogant. Verh rude comments and tes
Everybody how hard he has to
Work and how much tourists complain.... and even threatend not to give my passport back if I would not pay the too high and not up to date exhange rate. At the end he agreed on the real price but it was a nasty after taste to the nice stay.

However I would still
Recommend the hostel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Jennifer S
johnjenkinsMuine, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Jennifer,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. I was more than a little perplexed that you have taken 12 months to write your review, so some of the information may be outdated. We do try our best to keep the place in great shape. MN Backpackers is a great place to meet other travellers to share experiences of our beautiful country. Our exchange rates are set each day following a call to a financial institution. I was very suprised at your comments about Dan. He is no longer with us but was obviously managing the hostel at the time of your stay. I personally would like to apologise if you found him disagreeable. I hope that maybe, one day, you would visit us again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Good value - nice little pool for cooling down in. My dorm was great, AC & very clean every day. The girl at reception works really hard and does a great job! It's a fantastic budget option in Mui Ne.

• Stayed June 2013
johnjenkinsMuine, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for a lovely review. Rachel, our manager, does a great job and works hard to make all our guests feel very welcome. She was quite chuffed to read your kind words !!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mui Ne
Mui Ne Hills Bliss Hotel
Mui Ne Hills Bliss Hotel
#5 of 123 in Phan Thiet
Bamboo Village Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Mui Ne Backpacker Village? Share your experiences!