“3 weeks wasn't long enough!”

Mui Ne Backpacker Village
Ranked #1 of 59 Specialty Lodging in Mui Ne
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I may be biased because it turned out the owner John was from Australia and I discovered he was my best friends boss, in the small town I lived in at home!?

I stayed in Mui Ne Backpacker Resort for 3 weeks. At first I was a little worried. I called when I arrived in Ho Chi Minh City to ask about the types of powerpoints they had. At the time John was away and a guy called Dan was looking after everything. Maybe Dan was having a bad day, but he was pretty blunt, asked where I was and told me to look at the powerpoint at the place I was staying in HCMC -- maybe it was a stupid question, but Google told me Vietnam had three different powerpoints depending on where you were, so I wanted to check!

It must have been a bad day when I called Dan. When I arrived I was greeted by Dan and he was awesome. Somehow seemed to know my name when I walked into reception to check-in. He was always pretty busy, but always helpful to everyone.

Eventually, I got to meet John and his wife, the owners, who had been away for a few months -- really great people!

I stayed in the dorm room the entire three weeks. A lot of people would come and go within a few days as they travelled through Vietnam. John had an area setup every night people could go, sit have a drink and chat and solo travellers like me could meet some new people to hang out with.

John's wife was able to arrange an "out of the ordinary" trip to a lighthouse for me. They can also arrange regular local tours, bus tickets and laundry and advice about things to do and see.

I was provided with a safe locker big enough for all my bags, a towel and most importantly a bottle-opener on the keyring (water and other beverages are available in reception). The rooms and bathroom were cleaned daily. The outside areas were perfectly manicured everyday as well!

Right outside the room was the swimming pool, which was great if you just wanted to cool off... if you didn't want to take 10 steps to hit the ocean -- which the resort backs right on to. Where the resort backs on to the beach you can relax on a sunbed or sit on the grass and read or watch people swim or kite surf. The beach was patrolled by friendly locals selling fruit and coconuts and t-shirts.

A computer was available to use in reception and wifi was provided and accessible in my room (and everywhere else).

A security guard also appears every night when reception closes to keep the place safe and I think he also checks people in arriving at weird hours.

Either side you have places to eat. I ate breakfast just about everyday at Joe's (next door) while I sat looking out across the beach. Stepping out the front door, food is everywhere, so you definitely won't starve!

When I checked-out I had to double-check the bill because I thought they left something off! They hadn't, so if was good value too! Right on the beach, clean, safe and friendly!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,179)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I loved staying here! The staff were incredible, John the owner found me a bed when I arrived without a booking after a long and tiring bus journey when they were totally booked out, and they were extremely helpful with everything I needed! The location is amazing, they have a beautiful beach front which is just perfect for relaxing all day, and the whole place is kept extremely clean. I loved it and wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good location.
Clean rooms.
Reasonable prices.
Friendly staff.
Good facilities such as an outdoor pool and chairs near the oceanfront.
Good Laundry service.
Would recommend to everyone travelling to Mui Ne and all 5 of us would definitely come back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I wanted to really love this hostel. John the owner was incredibly friendly and informative. The location was decent, being on the beach. You were close to decent bars and restaurants but the dorm me and my wife stayed in was a bit of a let down. Both our mattress' were bowed in the middle and really needed replacing. The bathroom wasn't really cleaned properly and smelt. I did ask if there were any rooms available but they were all booked out.

I have stayed in many hostels but i think this one needs just a little tweaking to make this a true 5 star rating experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodypody
jdajenkins, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. The dorm room bathrooms are cleaned 2 times daily and more often if necessary. You made absolutely no mention of a problem whilst here. If you had then it would have been attended to immediately. As per our QA programme we renew the mattresses on a regular basis or as necessary. Once again we did not receive any complaint from you. Rather than complain in this forum would it have been more mature and effective to alert us personally?

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We had two poolside rooms for our three night stay. The rooms, bathrooms and outside patio area are spotlessly clean and always being kept this way by the dedicated team. We found the beds to be comfy and room aminities just right. Even though the rooms are by the entrance and the dorm rooms the noise was very minimal. The swimming pool is small but great for a dip. This time of year there isnt much beach to speak of but there are some sun loungers on the lawn overlooking the sea. There is beach access close by. The mini bar prices were very competitive, in fact cheaper that the nearby mini mart. The owners and staff are really nice and friendly. Always willing to help out or answer questions and help sort onward travel. The price was the high end of our allotted budget (we are travelling SEA 6months) but worth it, considering a high percentage of accommodation in area is expensive resorts the price is reasonable. We were sorry we had to leave so quick, we would all quite happily return here for much longer next time!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Really friendly and welcoming place, great location on the beach and by the restaurants, unfortunately I had an accident while in mui ne (a firebrathing lesson gone wrong) and John the owner was a real saint - taking me to the local clinic and making sure I was allright and being really flexible with the rooms so I didn't have to move, It transformed what could have been a horrible experience into a lovely holiday - if I was in Mui Ne again this is definitely where I would stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

In general it is true that there are cheaper properties further down the resort, but once you stay here you dont feel like moving.

We stayed in 2 rooms and they were very clean.

On the beachfront (it could be a resort).

John and wife are very good hosts, even though they were busy they found us alternative accommodation for the first night.

Well run

Room Tip: Splash out and ask for a room or hut on the beachfront