“Friendly, good location but smelly bathroom and matresses let this hostel down”

Mui Ne Backpacker Village
Ranked #1 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Mui Ne
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I wanted to really love this hostel. John the owner was incredibly friendly and informative. The location was decent, being on the beach. You were close to decent bars and restaurants but the dorm me and my wife stayed in was a bit of a let down. Both our mattress' were bowed in the middle and really needed replacing. The bathroom wasn't really cleaned properly and smelt. I did ask if there were any rooms available but they were all booked out.

I have stayed in many hostels but i think this one needs just a little tweaking to make this a true 5 star rating experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jodypody
jdajenkins, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. The dorm room bathrooms are cleaned 2 times daily and more often if necessary. You made absolutely no mention of a problem whilst here. If you had then it would have been attended to immediately. As per our QA programme we renew the mattresses on a regular basis or as necessary. Once again we did not receive any complaint from you. Rather than complain in this forum would it have been more mature and effective to alert us personally?

There are newer reviews for Mui Ne Backpacker Village

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

We had two poolside rooms for our three night stay. The rooms, bathrooms and outside patio area are spotlessly clean and always being kept this way by the dedicated team. We found the beds to be comfy and room aminities just right. Even though the rooms are by the entrance and the dorm rooms the noise was very minimal. The swimming pool is small but great for a dip. This time of year there isnt much beach to speak of but there are some sun loungers on the lawn overlooking the sea. There is beach access close by. The mini bar prices were very competitive, in fact cheaper that the nearby mini mart. The owners and staff are really nice and friendly. Always willing to help out or answer questions and help sort onward travel. The price was the high end of our allotted budget (we are travelling SEA 6months) but worth it, considering a high percentage of accommodation in area is expensive resorts the price is reasonable. We were sorry we had to leave so quick, we would all quite happily return here for much longer next time!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Really friendly and welcoming place, great location on the beach and by the restaurants, unfortunately I had an accident while in mui ne (a firebrathing lesson gone wrong) and John the owner was a real saint - taking me to the local clinic and making sure I was allright and being really flexible with the rooms so I didn't have to move, It transformed what could have been a horrible experience into a lovely holiday - if I was in Mui Ne again this is definitely where I would stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

In general it is true that there are cheaper properties further down the resort, but once you stay here you dont feel like moving.

We stayed in 2 rooms and they were very clean.

On the beachfront (it could be a resort).

John and wife are very good hosts, even though they were busy they found us alternative accommodation for the first night.

Well run

Room Tip: Splash out and ask for a room or hut on the beachfront
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 17, 2012

This property is slightly mis-named. its less of a hostel and much more of a guesthouse/boutique hotel (although it does have a couple of dorm rooms)

We walked up and down the beach and could not find a property that has such a nicely laid out beachfront area.

We spent 5 nights there and thought to move as there IS much cheaper accommodation further down the coast, but it just didnt have the appeal of this property (most for example dont have a beachfront). Also its easy walkng distance to all the ,main bars and restaurants, although we did hire a bike and motor down to quieter/cheaper/more chilled restaurants further down the coast (try Areca 2 for unbeatable value if you can find it).

In the end we spent another 5 nights at this property and just relaxed

Super clean (even the grass is swept daily, i kid you not), and well managed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Spent one night in this resort an left with mixed feelings.
If you like to enjoy te nightlife, this is a good spot. There's alot of restaurants and bars close by to suit your needs. In the room you won't be bothered by any noise.
The resort is not very big, but is clean and tidy. There are a couple of sunbeds at the beachfront, with a nice breeze to cool off. The owner is very relaxed and friendly and is helpfull with any questions you might have.

The downside for me was the room. We had a double room, which fit two single beds next to eachother with no room between them. The matrasses were terrible; sitting in the middle would make te matrass fold in and you could feel and hear every spring while lying down. The plumbing made quite a lot of noise as well. Despite the fact that the A/C worked and the shower was hot, I wouldnd consider this a $30 room. Based on multiple travels trough Asia, I would rate this as a $10-15 dollar at most. Even more so because there is no breakfast included.
So if you are lookin for a nice relaxing atmosphere with a young backpacking crowd, this is a somewhat overprized, but ok stay. If you'd like a little more from you room than just a cooled place to sleep, this is not your spot. There's more to choose from in this price range...

• Stayed: December 2012
jdajenkins, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for writing a review. Our rooms are very competitively priced, comparable hotels along the beachfront charge from $60 to $200/night. Whilst you were here you did not mention a problem with the bed or the room, so it is difficult for us to address an immediate problem unless we are told about it. As this response is posted we are checking the bed mattress. Our mattress are checked regularly and replaced as necessary. There are more than a couple of sunbeds on our beachfront. In fact there are 14 sunbeds and there are numerous mattress' available for use on the grassed area. We were very happy that you enjoyed the atmosphere of our hostel, the central location, the hot showers and the cleanliness of our rooms and grounds.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Even before I arrived they had annoyed me - I'd booked three days' accommodation through their website, paying a 10% deposit. However, I was delayed in Saigon and realised I'd not be able to make it until the second day, so I sent a very apologetic email explaining that I'd be a day late. In reply I just received a copy and paste of their Ts and Cs, explaining that my "cancellation" would incur a full charge. I'll bet they rented that room too.

Upon arrival the guy seemed like he couldn't care less about me or my travels, told me to leave my bag outside on my motorbike (where nobody was watching it) and follow him to the room. Not a hospitable welcome at the end of a long day on highway 1!

My room was fairly clean, although there was some mould in the bathroom. But I've seen worse.

On the plus side it's right on the beach, right in the centre of town.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
jdajenkins, Owner at Mui Ne Backpacker Village, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. Firstly, let me apologise if you were greeted in an unappreciative manner. You reserved a room through a 3rd party booking site where you paid a deposit of 10%. When you agreed to the terms and conditions you also agreed to pay the hotel for the 1st night's accommodation if you failed to show up. You received an email from us when you did not show as a matter of courtesy. If this upset you then I apologise again. Due to the late notice that was given we were unable to sell the room.. Our bathrooms are very clean so I dispute your claim, sometimes when you have 6 people in a dormitory using the same bathroom it can become untidy. The dorm bathrooms are cleaned 3 times daily. Finally I would like to thank you for staying with us and that you were able to appreciate and enjoy our location.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mui Ne
#1 of 123 in Phan Thiet
Diem Lien Guesthouse
Diem Lien Guesthouse
#1 of 29 in Mui Ne

Been to Mui Ne Backpacker Village? Share your experiences!